Can You Add New Hardware

Vimacs posted on Jul 25 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
vnc allready runs fine in qtopia
I'll have to give that a go :)
Not tried qtopia yet (to busy playing games and programming), although well worth a look from what I've read.
Any comments ? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
BenScar posted on Jul 25 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Jul 25 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
vnc allready runs fine in qtopia
I'll have to give that a go :)
Not tried qtopia yet (to busy playing games and programming), although well worth a look from what I've read.
Any comments ? :)
Qtopia is great. Try GPE while you are at it. I am pretty sure a USB mouse works in both, for sure in GPE.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have lots of new hardware on my GP2X:

- Griffin Powermate controllers (x2) .. I want to get a full set of 8, but they're expensive.

- USB MIDI interface - MIDIMAN 2x2 .. for my work on MidiShareGP2X, which is coming along quite nicely

- USB-WLAN stick - yes, the GP2X does wireless networking over USB quite well

- USB-Serial adapter .. one tty for console, one for other things ..

- 5-in-1 Card reader. For all the storage my other peripherals use, the GP2X just plain works.

- USB Datatank Hard Drive - battery-powered 60gig portability (with another built-in card reader) .. quite simply, I've got too much storage for my GP2X ..

In short: get the BoB (or build a kinder-eier cable) and you can use your GP2X just like any other Linux workstation...

ok sorry for asking a really anoying question but whats vnc and Qtopia
and can anything that runs on linux run on the gp2x thanks

Qtopia is an application for the GP2x that runs a kind of stripped down KDE without the kicker etc. (This may not be entirely accurate)
VNC basically lets you view what's on the screen of another computer, it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Anything that runs on linux should, in theory work on the GP2x, but it will need to be compiled for the ARM9 proccessor, rather than the normal x86. What's more it will probably need to be changed to some extent to work with the GP2x hardware.

Talking about usb devices on the gp2x, what about a webcam? Of course, we would need the software to see through the webcam (and maybe even record on the SD or external hdd) but are the drivers already avaible in linux?

Actually, I had an idea that went further even than that:

Get a Linux-supported webcam (there's lots)

Follow the instructions on http://www.hoagieshouse.com/IR/ to convert the webcam to view IR

(Possibly buy an IR light source)

Enjoy playing around with your GP2X night vision kit :)

I might add that I've successfully converted a webcam exactly as in the linked guide, and it worked flawlessly. . .

Back