Can the Pyra Become a Media Center?

DatNOBoi

Also, can I hook a 3D printer to it and use it as I would any other computer? That would be rather nice.

Even better, can I hook it up to my 64" TCL TV and display it in 1080p without stretching? It would allow me to clear off my shelf and net more monies from no longer needed possessions and give me back some money I would spend on this machine.

None of that would guarantee me purchasing a Pyra though. You know what would? Detachable controller. Yeah, that's the stuff right there. Day-one, will buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, can I hook a 3D printer to it and use it as I would any other computer? That would be rather nice.   Even better, can I hook it up to my 64" TCL TV and display it in 1080p without stretching? It would allow me to clear off my shelf and net more monies from no longer needed possessions.

Yes. But depends on what software you use for the 3D printer. Note that the Pandora can already drive a 3D printer, since earlier this year.

1080p -> yes, should be no problem since it has a HDMI out planned. 

None of that would guarantee me purchasing a Pyra though. You know what would? Detachable controller. Yeah, that's the stuff right there. Day-one, will buy.
Pandora can work as a USB controller if you have the right kind of cable (ie. USB A to mini-B ). Like for example:http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-27005-Mini-B-Cable/dp/B000067RVL

Once connected to PC (or whatever device with USB ports which supports joysticks) the Master Control PND enables the USB joystick (and keyboard, and mouse) functionality.

Not quite detachable controller, but pretty awesome none the less.

Also, can I hook a 3D printer to it and use it as I would any other computer? That would be rather nice.
I actually use my Pandora primarily with my 3D printer, I use Slic3r in panDebian for converting the 3D models into gcode and pronterface to run the 3D printer all thanks to ptitseb's printrun PND: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=printrun-ptitseb
Also to note I've got all the software needed for 3D printing already with the current OMAP5 devboard most of which was already in the debian ARM repository, so it should just work out of the box with the pyra for the most part.

Even better, can I hook it up to my 64" TCL TV and display it in 1080p without stretching?
The OMAP5 SoC is capable of driving 1080p from the HDMI port, max resolution is 1920x1200.

detachable controller for a 5" screen? Lets hope there's a binocular accessory
Oh, is that what OP meant? I though it was to use the controller part as input for PC games or something.

Once connected to PC (or whatever device with USB ports which supports joysticks) the Master Control PND enables the USB joystick (and keyboard, and mouse) functionality.
Note that it does not work in certain situations, though. I have seen several games where, unfortunately, the controller is not recognized properly.  

Goddamnit, y'all spoiled the fun with nifty gadgetry. Maybe I should've been more facetious...

Actually, no. With the given knowledge, my attempt was satisfactory. How the hell was I supposed to know that you could use a Pandora for a 3D printer?

detachable controller for a 5" screen? Lets hope there's a binocular accessory 
With such a long battery life, it would be of even more use during the coming apocalypse!

Note that it does not work in certain situations, though. I have seen several games where, unfortunately, the controller is not recognized properly.
I haven't used it that much, but it worked for me right away to play Megaman Unlimited via Wine on Fedora 20. Kinda funny the path input went thru:pandora -> Master Control -> USB -> Fedora -> Wine -> Megaman Unlimited

Only problem is Pandora's weight compared to a regular USB gamepad (but I don't have one of those, so Pandora will do).

If I were to be using the Pyra as a USB gamepad similar to the ICP 1/2, I would probably be resting it on my legs, which I do with most controllers. Weight has never really been an issue... Though I do prefer heavier controllers so I can have a blunt force weapon for when I lose at SSB ^_­^;

Back