Can somebody (I) host a repo mirror?

Squashfs is already compressed.
surprisingly, rsync update for PNDs can work very well for large PNDs

squashfs compresses each block separately, and appears to add files in the same ASCIIbetical order each time.

So if large resources such as music and images are the same between versions, it can skip downloading them again.

I have a repo mirror, it does not support pnd manager / masterlist yet, just plain downloads.

I don't have public rsync yet either.  I could set up "zsync" which is like rsync over http.

git might be another interesting transport for content of pnds, but it's not simple to remove old unwanted resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
openpandora.org/feed needs to be mirrored too because I cannot use the system upgrade function.. unless I want to wait two hours :)

You might also consider setting up the "mirrors" as caches. That would be more efficient that rsync or could be used in combination with rsync, i.e. always caching, rsync changes nightly as they occur, etc. That way you wouldn't be rsyncing files that no one is downloading. The "use it until it breaks" method doesn't really support growth and sets up the potential for "victims of our own success" to occur.
Well there is always a place in the world where the sun is up so when you say nightly ... when do you mean :)
Excellent point. I meant on some regular cycle in a non-peak period. Maybe there is no such time.

You might also consider setting up the "mirrors" as caches. That would be more efficient that rsync or could be used in combination with rsync, i.e. always caching, rsync changes nightly as they occur, etc. That way you wouldn't be rsyncing files that no one is downloading. The "use it until it breaks" method doesn't really support growth and sets up the potential for "victims of our own success" to occur.
Well there is always a place in the world where the sun is up so when you say nightly ... when do you mean :)
Excellent point. I meant on some regular cycle in a non-peak period. Maybe there is no such time.
You can run the sync every minute... there are only 1ish updates a day... it's going to be perfectly fine.

I could set up "zsync" which is like rsync over http.
http://pandoria.org/zsync is filling at the moment

example usage:

cd /media/1p/pandora/apps
zsync -i codeblocks* http://a2.pandoria.org/zsync/codeblocks.pnd.zsync
I can build a zsync PND, and it would be good to add that tool to our codeblocks PND.

Any movement on this? I still cannot use the repo at all on my pandora and downloading at 5kb/s on my workstation isn't fun.

I don't want to pry at all, but what country may you be in, ParadisoShlee?

Wherever you are, you need more bandwidth.

Edit 1:  Okay, you're from Australia - you're kind of like a big island....but you're a continent!  It's easily fixable, you just have to set your browser to CONTINENT!  Why am I yelling?

I'm a system engineer working for one of our biggest data centers.. the last thing I need is more bandwidth. :)

2766703614.png

It takes over a minute to download the 1mb masterlist

The ISP ED is using just has a route that goes down the cheap road via china... it's why mirrors exist because the planet is huge :D

I'd definitely say that you blokes do (deserve more mirrors), because there are a LOT of Aussies that contribute a helluvaLOT to this Pandora community already...almost disproportionately so.  You're making us Americans look bad...or whatever you guys call us...I have no idea...LOL.  I'm all for doing what it takes though to beefing up the connection speeds for our brothers and sisters down under.

I'm a system engineer working for one of our biggest data centers.. the last thing I need is more bandwidth. :)

2766703614.png

It takes over a minute to download the 1mb masterlist

The ISP ED is using just has a route that goes down the cheap road via china... it's why mirrors exist because the planet is huge :D
Your e-peen is considerably bigger than mine... xD

The e-peen is not a dump truck. It's a series of pipes.

Back