Caanoo Firmware 1.5.0

Some wifi with Ralink chip dont work as well

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56003-what-wifi-dongles-work-for-the-caanoo/page__st__45

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the new additions sounded particularly exciting, but in the spirit of staying up-to-date I've just run the upgrade.

For those who're interested, it took almost exactly 10 mins, so be patient :)

Installed it, and the video player still isn't worth a damn. You'd think that jumping up to 1.5 would be a big change but it seems not.

Popcorn Dave said:
Installed it, and the video player still isn't worth a damn. You'd think that jumping up to 1.5 would be a big change but it seems not.

I put an xvid AVI file on my Caanoo a few days ago to test the player and smearing/artifacting/distortion made it unwatchable. Sadly the 1.5.0 update hasn't made any difference.

Same here. I tested it with three different AVI files from three different sources and none of them played properly. It's probably the most disappointing thing about my Caanoo, I know you can't expect it to be up to par with the newest smartphones but it'd be nice to be able to watch a couple of episodes of Futurama on the bus or something.

On the plus side, the three AVI files I tested all screwed up in different ways (one came out without any colour but had smooth animation, one kept freezing up the image even though the audio was fine, and the third just didn't show up in the menu) so I guess that means with enough tweaking you could probably get it working. But who's got the time? Or the high-end video software you'd need to do all that "tweaking"? Bah!

well for some reason i can't update to this firmware, the caanoo just stays at the GPH logo, i had updated the firmware to 1.0.6 before without a problem, but it seems now i just can't, i used all kind of cards and they all do the same ... did they change anything in the bootloader when going from 1.0.1 to 1.0.6B ?

EDIT:

got it working with an old 1 gig card, the only diffrence i see on the cards is the type of the partition(s) the 1gig card used "W95 FAT32" while all my other cards where using "W95 FAT32 (LBA)" so i guess it could have worked with my other cards as well if i used fdisk and changed the partition table to be the same :)

Popcorn Dave said:
Same here. I tested it with three different AVI files from three different sources and none of them played properly. It's probably the most disappointing thing about my Caanoo, I know you can't expect it to be up to par with the newest smartphones but it'd be nice to be able to watch a couple of episodes of Futurama on the bus or something.

On the plus side, the three AVI files I tested all screwed up in different ways (one came out without any colour but had smooth animation, one kept freezing up the image even though the audio was fine, and the third just didn't show up in the menu) so I guess that means with enough tweaking you could probably get it working. But who's got the time? Or the high-end video software you'd need to do all that "tweaking"? Bah!

Bizarrely enough, Futurama was what I tried on mine. The video was seemingly all there, but huge sections of the image would be covered in macroblocking and distortion. I might try a few more files and see what I get.

Just updated. Used a 4gb SDHC card, FAT 32 formatted. Took no time at all. Can't say how long as I went to answer my door but definately less than 5mins.

is it just me or did the speed of the snes emulator take a huge dive after this update?

might have a corrupt download

Back