Caanoo - A Fail Console?

u9i said:
I have! Most? no. They have their emulators. Torpor and others who enjoy homebrew? yes. (if i ever finish it)

Well i guess the cat's out of the bag.

/Uni

Oh man, now you have to finish it! It'll give me a reason to by one of those Buffalo adapters and toss the overly large official dongle.

Last edited by a moderator:
u9i said:
Just wanted to paint the picture that i am not happy inserting and removing the sd cards.

umd_gb_ds_carts.jpg
images
images

it has been like that since always.... but they were called 'Game Cartridges' instead. :lol:

hi-ban said:
u9i said:
Just wanted to paint the picture that i am not happy inserting and removing the sd cards.
[...]
it has been like that since always.... but they were called 'Game Cartridges' instead. :lol:

Hehe i know. But there is no reason not to improve it.

Not that this should be part of the discussion, but i thought i'd share the state of my sd card with you all:

3586gdl.jpg

Oh man! Your SD card wants a replacement!
i see why you're not happy inserting and removing it...

what did you do with it to have it like that? :eek:

hi-ban said:
Oh man! Your SD card wants a replacement!
i see why you're not happy inserting and removing it...

what did you do with it to have it like that? :eek:

Because it is so recessed i used my nail to reach it... bad idea! That is what happens over a longer period of time.

I think i have to move it to some other device where i don't need to remove it all the time, like my video camera :)

@u9i: why do you remove your SD each time you want to add something on it ? i've put one SD card in each of my two caanoo(s) and never removed them again (i'm using ethernet over usb, and i just need to plug my USB cable).

Well, if you're using Gmenu, adding files via USB is a right drag. You have to turn on the Caanoo, then turn OFF Gmenu, then move the files over, then turn the Caanoo off again, then on again. I like Gmenu but I don't use it these days because I couldn't be bothered with those extra steps (when all it really offers is looking a bit tidier and letting you separate games and emulators like GPH should have done in the first place); maybe u9i is still using it.

I was using an old old version of Jolicloud, which was so broken that it wouldn't mount my caanoo anymore, when i plugged it in. So i used the card reader... until that didn't stopped working. Now i am finally running an ubuntu variant again. Still waiting for eeebuntu 4 to come, but i probably shouldn't hold my breath. Good news is i don't have to remove my SD card anymore to install games.

/Uni

u9i said:
hi-ban said:
u9i said:
[...]

Hehe i know. But there is no reason not to improve it.

Not that this should be part of the discussion, but i thought i'd share the state of my sd card with you all:

3586gdl.jpg

I've seen that happen with one of my (many) SD cards. Cheap manufacturing I guess, just glued together? Mine split just like that. Still worked though!

Dunny said:
GunPei2X said:
coldfis said:
ahh Dunny, living up to your name.

<sigh>

Only an Aussie will get that.

Given my animated avatar, I'd have thought it was more obvious than that.... but yeah, that was a rather poor attempt :)

D.

;) Works for me. :p

I gotta question, anybody get a Caanoo with a thumb stick that can get stuck in the down position (like if you push it down and take your thumb off, doesn't totally re-orient itself).

You mean the button on the joystick, or the down direction on the joystick itself?

My stick always registers a little to the right :( If i move the joystick around and then release it, it goes to the center, but after a while it slowly registers to the right. Guess I gotta return it for a repair (again).

traylorpark said:
I gotta question, anybody get a Caanoo with a thumb stick that can get stuck in the down position (like if you push it down and take your thumb off, doesn't totally re-orient itself).

Mine actually did that right out of the box, but seemed to resolve itself after a few hours of use. If it's consistently doing it to you it sounds like it may need to be reseated :/

that's one of the problems all analog sticks have. even current consoles like the ps3's and xbox 360's analog sticks will wear out and become off centered over time. it just doesn't effect gameplay because there is a good deadzone in place. my caanoo is slightly off centered to the right by probably micro millimeters but it's only noticable in emulators or apps that don't have any deadzone.

My brother's caanoo's stick is also a bit off centered. It moves all the time to the bottom. As you allready mentioned it is all a question of the deadzone. All emus and games with a working deadzone you can play fine, but without it's not possible

FOR ALL DEVELOPERS: INCLUDE A DEADZONE IN YOUR PROJECTS. AND USE IT AS A ANALOG NUB, NOT AS A DPAD IF POSSIBLE. :) PLEASE!

u9i said:
Do you have any idea for a good analogue stick game?

something "simple" like http://minigore.blogspot.com/ ? :)

Back