Broken Gp32?

Eebobobo

Still Fresh
Hello.

I am sure this is probably covered elsewhere on the forums, so someone feel free to just point me in the right direction if possible.

I have a backlit GP32 that I bought from new some years ago. I was at the time a collector, and I bought it for just that reason, as a collector's piece, and I never really used it.

I did power it on when it was new just to have a look at the front end, but apart from that I never got round to actually installing anything on it and using it as intended. 

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I put new batteries in and powered it on, only to find that I am getting no OS, just the backlight. I had a look in the battery compartment at the terminals, but I see no build up of any sort on there, it all just looks as it did from new when purchased and is totally clear.

Any advice on getting it back to working order would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. 

That can be a symptom of weak batteries. Try using a new pair that's marketed for high drain devices like digital cameras. For everyday use you want 2500mAh+ rechargeables.

That being said, I do remember people reporting that their GP32s no longer work after some years in storage, it could be that certain components deteriorate over time.

Hmm,. interesting. I got this after many years but it was after I was playing emulators in overclocked 156Mhz for long times. One day my GP32 reboot in white screen. And then I switch and starts in white screen but no logo or anything. I thought then that it must be the fact that I overused overclocking for years of playing. But never thought this would happen even with a stored unit that one barely uses. And I didn't have the skills to maybe check if a resistor or capacitor or whatever failed. Anyway, some other time I tried to open it again, I didn't even get the white screen. It's not switching on anymore at all.

Back