Breakout Box / Cradle Coming In Late December

I received a breakout board today, though it's not the same one as shown in the cradle picture. This is a bare board and a cable.

The board has 4 USB ports, a DB-9, two RCA jacks, a power jack, a DB-25, a phone-stype jack to cable to the GP2X, and one further jack that I can't identify -- round like an S-Video but only 4 signals. The board came with a cable to attach to the GP2X but no documentation. I don't suppose much documentation is needed, but I don't know where in the DB-25 the JTAG signals are... somewhat of a problem considering that's the only reason I wanted the board <_<

MiL0 posted on Oct 31 2006 at 07:41 PM said:
oh and whoever linked to http://www.retrousb.com/ - thanks!!!
I've bought a load of chips from RetroUSB and can't recommend them enough, they're ridiculously simple to fit. Most have less than five solder points to make. I built two SNES controller ports into the front of my PC, supported in ZSNES to my TV via SD-Video. Cracking! Means that I can easily replace the SNES controllers if they break - no resoldering.. I have a custom login to windows that boots straight into ZSNES with all the settings.
When I get round to it, I'm going to build a whole load more controllers, got about five more kits already.

Back on topic, I'd seriously consider a posh break-out box, if the price is right. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no ethernet, it\'s useless. (I have a Mac and a PC running X64 windows, can\'t use RNDIS with those)

mah posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:32 PM said:
I received a breakout board today, though it's not the same one as shown in the cradle picture. This is a bare board and a cable.

The board has 4 USB ports, a DB-9, two RCA jacks, a power jack, a DB-25, a phone-stype jack to cable to the GP2X, and one further jack that I can't identify -- round like an S-Video but only 4 signals. The board came with a cable to attach to the GP2X but no documentation. I don't suppose much documentation is needed, but I don't know where in the DB-25 the JTAG signals are... somewhat of a problem considering that's the only reason I wanted the board <_<

Umm, that would be S-Video, 4 conductor holes and a plastic key.

PS, in case anyone is thinking crazy thoughts about USB2.0, There isn't USB2.0 Only 1.1, and all the BoB does is terminate the signal and adds a cheap hub.

The hub costs $10 anywhere, and a termination IC is only $0.xx at any online electronics store. So if all you use is USB and TV-Out, the commercial BoB are a rip-off, even with the nice case, I am expecting it to be a double rip-off, especially if they still use the 12volt feed to power it, USB is 5 volts, no need for 12volt adaptors.

I think Techfreak is doing a proper USB TV-Out box for less money, but I am unsure of where he is in the project.

halo9 posted on Oct 31 2006 at 02:38 PM said:
MiL0 posted on Oct 31 2006 at 07:41 PM said:
oh and whoever linked to http://www.retrousb.com/ - thanks!!!
I've bought a load of chips from RetroUSB and can't recommend them enough, they're ridiculously simple to fit. Most have less than five solder points to make. I built two SNES controller ports into the front of my PC, supported in ZSNES to my TV via SD-Video. Cracking! Means that I can easily replace the SNES controllers if they break - no resoldering.. I have a custom login to windows that boots straight into ZSNES with all the settings.
When I get round to it, I'm going to build a whole load more controllers, got about five more kits already.

Back on topic, I'd seriously consider a posh break-out box, if the price is right. ;)
no problem, i figure they'll be experiencing an upward surge in business when the b.o.b is released B)

The things people have said about a clip on with wifi and maybe even a keyboard sound very interesting. Is that still going to happen, or was that just something that was left out of this. If it is still going to happen I will wait for that. If the idea was scrapped then ill buy this as soon as it comes out.

I would not pay 100 Euros. I don't know what that is like in comparison to Euopean incomes, but thats like 1.5 time usd so thats 150 dollars, not much less than the console itself costs.

I Hope it won't cost more than 100€...

With the naked bob at around £30 I doubt it would. Purely speculative, of course, but it stands to reason they'll price it so people'll actually buy it. And closing in on the price of a brand new gp2x would dramatically diminish the chances of me buying.

Back