Brand new pandora, few things I don't understand

IceBurn 3000

So my premium pandora arrived today, and I love it!

But I've a few questions I cant figure out, any help would be appreciated.

1. How do I set it so wi-fi starts when the system comes on? Also it seems to forget the WEP key from time to time.

2. How big can the sd cards be? The manual says 32gb, but I read somewhere that 128gb cards are supported.

3. The manual warns me to leave if the battery starts burning or emitting smoke. Has this ever happened?

4. The manual tells me to use a ferrite core near the end of the plug. What the actual f*** is a ferrite core?

5. How do I turn it off? Not standby or sleep or reset, but complete power off?

6. How do i get to minimenu from the full desktop environment?

Thats all for now, thanks for any help.

1. How do I set it so wi-fi starts when the system comes on? Also it seems to forget the WEP key from time to time.

2. How big can the sd cards be? The manual says 32gb, but I read somewhere that 128gb cards are supported.

3. The manual warns me to leave if the battery starts burning or emitting smoke. Has this ever happened?

4. The manual tells me to use a ferrite core near the end of the plug. What the actual f*** is a ferrite core?

1)not sure about wep key but in system menu there is a starup manager which you can use to toggle if wifi bluetooth etc start up with pandora,

5) go into start menu and then shutdown, it will turn back on if it is plugged in though as the power management chip needs it to be in a turned on state to recharge,

6) go into settings (could be system) and there is a option like change GUI

1. Settings>Startup>Enable/Disable services on boot (maybe this will help, too)

2. Depends on the card. Some people have issues with some 32GB SD cards (mainly class 6 and 10). More so with 64GB. Dunno about 128, try asking around a bit.

3. No. That's just a required warning for electronics.

4. I don't know either, but nobody's reported issues with their chargers, so I assume that all of our chargers have one.

5. As of the latest Hotfix (dunno about earlier ones), hold the power button to the right until the shutdown dialog comes up. Keep holding it until the bar reaches 0. You can also shut down from the Start menu, or add a Shutdown button directly onto your taskbar.

6. System>Switch GUI

Last edited by a moderator:

Well i think i can answer #5..

To turn off ,go to the menu [lower left Pandora icon] you can use your stylus or left nub [up] to bring up the menu. Or press the Pandora button in the middle of the keyboard [the third button]. On the bottom of the menu, you will see 'log off' click on that and you will see the shut down option far right.

Or you can hold the switch for a few seconds and it will power off.

# 2I use 8 or 16 class 4 sandisk cards only. I thought people in this forum recommended not going over 32 .

excuse my english.

Glad you like your Pandora and congratulations. :)

Last edited:

1.settings startup services

2.if you can afford a 128GB card feel free to try it, haven't heard of anyone being rich enough to get one uet

3.it's something that can happen to all lithuim polymer batteries, so must be included somewhere, extremely rare, key thing is don't leave it plugged in for months on end

4.a ferrite core is exactly what it says, a core made of a ferrous material, usually comes in a little clamp format you wrap a loop of the wire around, just stops any instabilities on the power line and isn't really needed unless you know for a fact your mains circuit has horrible amounts of interference on it

5.menu, shutdown, if it's plugged in it will just restart, can't charge while off (for now)

6.settings, switch menu (or something like that, i never bothered to try it as i much prefer a decent desktop)

edit: epic ninja :)

I don't know if anyone has tried a 128GB card, but I have a 64gb card and it works fine. The only issue with larger cards is that you may need to format the card before using it.

I don't know if it's ever happened to anyone with a pandora, but this is something that can happen with batteries in general.

It's a lump on the cord that reduces radio frequency emission. Mine did not come with one, but I guess some plugs have them.

5. As of the latest Hotfix (dunno about earlier ones), hold the power button to the right until the shutdown dialog comes up. Keep holding it until the bar reaches 0. You can also shut down from the Start menu, or add a Shutdown button directly onto your taskbar.
Don't do that, no need to hold it so long. Just holding it to the right for 4 or 5 seconds is enough to trigger the shutdown dialog.

If you really, really get into an "OMG can't shutdown for anything" moment, holding it to the right for 8 seconds (or is it 8 additional seconds?) is the equivalent of a hard shutdown. It can be bad for the disk, so try to avoid that. You can also perform a hard reset by holding the Pandora button on the keyboard and flipping the power switch to the right. That can also be bad for the disk, but when everything is locked up there's not much more you can do.

AFAIK SDXC cards following SD 4.0 are not on the market, yet. They have a second row of pins, so they are easy to spot. It is not clear whether they will work or not, yet.

There is no real limitation on size, it's just a matter of the specified max size and whether the producer decides to follow that artificial limitation. It's possible that there will be SDHC cards with more than 32GB at some point. However, Windows will refuse to create/format FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB, so another program has to be used for that. The SDXC cards are using Microsoft's exFAT filesystem, and of course they're not providing any docs about it, so the cards need to be formatted with a more compatible filesystem, e.g. FAT32, NTFS or ext2/3.

There is no real limitation on size, it's just a matter of the specified max size and whether the producer decides to follow that artificial limitation. It's possible that there will be SDHC cards with more than 32GB at some point.
There already are, they are just called SDXC cards. There's no real difference between SDHC and SDXC, they're just marked SDXC to distinguish them because of the problem that Windows has with formatting larger filesystems. There's no problem formatting or using the cards in the pandora.

There already are, they are just called SDXC cards. There's no real difference between SDHC and SDXC, they're just marked SDXC to distinguish them because of the problem that Windows has with formatting larger filesystems. There's no problem formatting or using the cards in the pandora.
Which makes me wonder what they're going to call SD4.0 cards when they finally hit market, because those certainly won't be compatible with existing SDHC/XC devices.

Which makes me wonder what they're going to call SD4.0 cards when they finally hit market, because those certainly won't be compatible with existing SDHC/XC devices.
Why not? They're supposed to work in devices that don't use the second row of pins, using the old (slower) speeds. Of course, what works in theory doesn't always work in practice, but SD4.0 is intended to be backwards-compatible.

According to sdcard.org, they are going to be called "UHS-II".

Wow! Neko chan~ I might consider the Lexar brand, because I was advised via pm that Sandisk 64GB (no higher than class 4) was the way to go. Cheers. :)

Well, the class 10 card does work, and it does write at 10 MB/sec in the Pandora. But there may be a somewhat higher risk of problems with the high-speed cards.

i've been using the two of my PNY professional 32gb class 10 cards on my Pandora with no issues at all, so far. Just a heads up.

Back