Box86 - Linux Userspace x86 Emulator

Nice, allthough i think i have to see these in Real Live on my Phytian Debian Terminal,
its not shure that i would be apple to run Windows Games on this thing at the Evening i got the Computer..
But thanks to Firefox Acount, i will have the same Blog also on the Phytian in my Readlist..

Yes, and also use libs as an abbreviation at the end of a sentence, in the first sentence after the intertext graphic, so the third paragraph really. I don't know why, but it feels weird to end a sentence with an abbreviation, and it might be better to end the sentence with 'libraries' instead. Also, in the very first sentence calling this project 'box' feels slightly odd, as an english reader, since using it in a sentence leads us first to consider if you mean a real box, or a figurative box, and finally a more theoretical thing named box. Could you call it 'box8' or would that give you more trouble?

Yes, that seems like a more reasonable way to introduce 'either box' as a synonym for the box86 family. Nice work.

In "There is libstdc++ and is companion libgcc_s" should be "There is libstdc++ and its companion libgcc_s", also, but no biggie.

Edit: Also, if we're on the subject of such minutiae, "quite a lot of game", that phraseology always demands a plural else you shouldn't be using that phrase. In this case I think 'quite a lot of games' would suffice.

Last edited:
Your English is much more professional than mine, so dont worry i understand your writing..
im just a bit confused how to get this to practical use, once i got the Phytian..., but i will read me in then.. i plan to get this PC Ready stepp by stepp, first the OS, then the Linux Software i need for work and entertainment, and if everything runs, i will continue whit Stepp 2 and get BOX86 and Wine, ..

The PC itsellfs works ^^ but i need now to learn a lot more..

I found a "Multiarch" called Package in Synaptic, is this the Multiarch i need for Box86? and if so what next?
Just downlaod a "Box86.deb" from the Box86 Page and execute it? or is a lot more involved?

The PC itsellfs works ^^ but i need now to learn a lot more..

I found a "Multiarch" called Package in Synaptic, is this the Multiarch i need for Box86? and if so what next?
Just downlaod a "Box86.deb" from the Box86 Page and execute it? or is a lot more involved?
You need to use the terminal. Start with
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt update
sudo apt install  libgtk2.0-0:armhf libsdl2-image-2.0-0:armhf
Enter you password then 'Y' to all the new package it will install. That will populate a bit the "armhf" multiarch libraries
after that do
Code:
sudo apt install  build-essential cmake cmake-curses-gui git gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf
To install the needed tools for box86
(everything in the doc, but I guess I have to copy/paste it here)
then, go to you home folder and clone the box86 repo:
Code:
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86
cd box86
mkdir build; cd build; cmake .. -DPHYTIUM=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
make -j4
sudo make install
sudo systemctl restart systemd-binfmt
and that's it, box86 is installed on your system
but don't stop there and build box64 too:
Code:
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/ptitSeb/box64
cd box64
mkdir build; cd build; cmake .. -DPHYTIUM=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
make -j4
sudo make install
sudo systemctl restart systemd-binfmt
And box64 is also installed...

Ok, thanks, and this cd ~ should work the same like i had done when i used Dosbox, just for the SSD on the Phytian and not for my SD Card on Pyra..

I whish this Phytian where a Handheld so i could trow it out of my Pants and try it out right now, but seems like this is something i have to wait for this evening..

I had some issues whit the sudo on my Phytian, maybe i have to give "Matzesu" some root rights..
will it also work when i first type "su" in the Terminal?

Or i just use "su" instead of sudo as this dit at least work for apt update /apt upgrade..

Edit: Ok whit "su" i change the User on the Terminal to the Admin, so the way to go whyld be to make the su first, and then just copy your stuff in the Terminal ^^

Last edited:
Or i just use "su" instead of sudo as this dit at least work for apt update /apt upgrade..

Edit: Ok whit "su" i change the User on the Terminal to the Admin, so the way to go whyld be to make the su first, and then just copy your stuff in the Terminal ^^
You should add yourself to sudoers, it would be easier then to follow most guide you'll find, that all assume you can use sudo...

So after the Box86 is installed, i just could download a X86 Debian Binary (DEB), and click on this?
Lets say : wine.deb
no, don't try to install x86 .deb stuff, it will just makes things more complicated
You use tgz or tar.gz stuff for x86/x86_64

Back