Box86 - Linux Userspace x86 Emulator

Thanks for the Wine package! I managed to setup some folder to try some things out but only got stuff we've already seen working going...
Pinball, however and skiifree
I've tried Ragdoll Masters and Gridwars2 but they don't quite load (Gridwars runs but doesn't bring up any display and has to be killed)
I think I saw some missing libs, am I right that these are missing x86 libs I can try providing?

Also I tried to get steam Linux loading but I can't get it to load furthest I got was it checking for updates...

I'm going try foobar2000 at some point too...
Thanks for this! It's made me pick up my Pandora again! :)

One thing you can use also, is start wine with those parameter: "wine explorer /desktop=shell,720x400" : it will start a virtual desktop so you can start some other stuff from there (like explorer) and browse other things. Or to start directly exploere in the virtual desktop "wine explorer /desktop=shell,720x400 explorer"

@PokeParadox : you can provide the missing libs by getting the x86 libs and putting them somewhere box86 can access them (you can set an env variable to set the path where box86 will look for x86 libs, it's in the usage.md).

Did you do anything special to get wine working? I've just extracted it, put my box86 binary in its bin folder and tried stuff like "./box86 wine notepad" (it works with CMD but fails as soon as it needs to create a window).

@ptitSeb : it worked with your command line! I was able to start a gog installer... Now to see if it is able to install properly.

EDIT: it was, now the game (interstate 76) complains about missing CD2 but that seems to be a problem with wine rather than box86

Last edited:
@PokeParadox : you can provide the missing libs by getting the x86 libs and putting them somewhere box86 can access them (you can set an env variable to set the path where box86 will look for x86 libs, it's in the usage.md).

Did you do anything special to get wine working? I've just extracted it, put my box86 binary in its bin folder and tried stuff like "./box86 wine notepad" (it works with CMD but fails as soon as it needs to create a window).

I symlinked the .wine folder onto my ext partition. I don't remember doing anything more exotic than that!

Run into some problems when I try to run it, but I think it’s the wine that’s throwing the error, yup, I’m using the wine511.tgz pre-build, anyone have luck running with different wine builds? I try to google the answer, and not successful. It’s the error kernelbase.dll idk I could copy them from /windows/system and paste them into ./wine/c_drive/windows/system, I think it’s the default folder?
B5B8EB94-60BC-4782-A9FC-C318B171E088.jpegA85E7B8E-B653-40C1-8093-16BDC842B2CC.jpeg

I figured out why my wine was acting weirdly: I was starting it from the wine/bin folder. If I start if from another folder (like the folder of the .exe I want to start) it works much better.

I was able to test:
- Interstate 76 (from Gog): Complains about missing CD2 (should be fixed by setting compatibility to windows 98 I have set it this way in winecfg, but I'm not sure if it's taken into account correctly)
- LBA2 (from Gog as well): I had to manually add some .dll (looks like the Gog version runs the dos version by default). It crashes on startup
- Fallout 1 (from Gog as well): It starts, displays the opening videos (not very smooth) and gets to title screen but then crashes when I try to move the mouse
- Iji: Displays the loading window and seems to stay stuck there (maybe I didn't give it enough time)

I think I'll focus on testing linux games from the itch.io bundle for Racial Equality, there might be some playable games in there.

@ptitSeb

I’m trying to run some game.exe download from

Cave story
p://studiopixel.sakura.ne.jp/binaries/dou_1006.zip
I think I setup the box86 and sym link wine correctly, but running into a problem, “wineboot” then kernelbase.dll, yup wine is working on box86, but I think it’s the wine giving errors, I’m trying a few tips I get from other forum, eg copy dll to c_drive, copy some random files to etc, but non work so far, it might not work with some wine build I think.

The error logs:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd doukutsu

pi@raspberrypi:~/doukutsu $ box86 wine --version

BOX86: Wine detected, WINEPRELOADRESERVE=""

Using default BOX86_LD_LIBRARY_PATH: ./:lib/:lib32/:x86/

Using default BOX86_PATH: ./:bin/

Counted 45 Env var

Looking for wine

argv[1]="--version"

Using emulated /media/pi/ramdisk/wine/bin/../lib/libwine.so.1

Using native(wrapped) libdl.so.2

Using native(wrapped) libc.so.6

Using native(wrapped) ld-linux.so.2

Using native(wrapped) libpthread.so.0

Using native(wrapped) librt.so.1

Using emulated /media/pi/ramdisk/wine/bin/../lib/wine/ntdll.so

wine-5.11

pi@raspberrypi:~/doukutsu $ box86 wine Doukutsu.exe

Counted 45 Env var

Looking for wine

argv[1]="Doukutsu.exe"

Counted 46 Env var

Looking for /media/pi/ramdisk/wine/bin/wine

argv[1]="Doukutsu.exe"

Using emulated /media/pi/ramdisk/wine/bin/../lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so

Using native(wrapped) libm.so.6

Counted 46 Env var

Looking for /media/pi/ramdisk/wine/bin/wineserver

0024:err:environ:run_wineboot failed to start wineboot c000007b

Using emulated /media/pi/ramdisk/wine/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so

0024:err:module:import_dll Loading library kernelbase.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\kernel32.dll") failed (error c000007b).

wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

pi@raspberrypi:~/doukutsu $

Well, strange. First thing you can try is launch wineboot alone. It a deamonize process it should just load and give back the prompt. Check with "ps -A" it's there. Or if you have 2 terminal, use "wineboot -f" to not deamonize the process.

Just to note: Cave Story can run natively on the Padora if you want, there are a few PND for that...

Yay! I finally got something playable to run!
It's Minit, available in itch.io's bundle for Racial Justice. It runs with LIBGL_ES=2 and LIBGL_FB=1. It has some occasional slowdowns but seems to run pretty well otherwise (in the 5 minutes I've played).
Thanks ptitSeb :)
Lol I haven't had all that much luck apart from what we've already seen working and I managed to test the last exciting application ever with success in WINE. My old uni work which was exploring the relationship between points and number of connections between them. It plotted the results using OpenGL and GLUT...

I've played a bit more Minit. When I compare to some videos it seems to be slower (and indeed the seconds seem to last a bit more than one second) but most of the time the sound and music are playing correctly and it doesn't seem particularly slow. There are occasional slowdowns with impact on sound/music. I still enjoy it.

Tried a few other games of the bundle. There are many Unity games. I know some of them could run but I generally don't bother trying to get them working since I haven't been able to run any of the ones I've tried. There are a few XNA games where I think I'd better use mono directly.

I've been able to run "The Last Word", but it quickly becomes far too slow to be enjoyable.

Still not a lot of luck with the bundle's games. Lots of Unity games, quite a few 64-bits only games. There's a LOVE game that I might try to run with the LOVE binary from the picolove pnd... But all in all it's a lot of time to browse and download games just to realize that they're yet another Unity game.

So I decided to give wine another try, now that I'm able to get it to run better. I've been able to run Knytt, but it's got weird collision bugs.
I've also been able to run Interstate 76 in software mode. I could get in game with a tiny window full of graphical bugs at 5 fps (estimated). I'll try to see if I can get the OpenGL wrapper for Glide working with gl4es.

@ptitSeb: Is there any special trick to get OpenGL running in wine? I've tried different LIBGL_FB settings (with or without LIBGL_ES=2) but found non that seem to work.

LIBGL_ES=2 will not work for now with wine. It does some preliminary tests that crashes gl4es (trying to bind some weird texture format on a framebuffer attachment). I have to work on that but haven't yet.
LIBGL_ES=1 should work, but OpenGL 1.5 fixed pipeline is often not enough for most DirectX app (even 2D ones). OpenGL app should work (I ran DeusEx, slowly, for example).

Back