Boot Into Tv Mode

woogal

Certified Guru
Website
gp32.sector808.org
Here's a simple app to enable tv mode without having to use the options on the menu. It's hardcoded to use gp2xmenu because that's what I use, but the source is available if anyone wants to add this to the other launchers. The only advantage to this app is that you can rename tvon.gpe to autorun.gpu and your gp2x will boot directly into tv mode. You'll have to use tvoff.gpe to go back to lcd as the menu tv options won't work. See readme.txt for more info.

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2096

Any way to output to tv mode and on the GP2X at the same time until an application is launched?

shinneri posted on Mar 26 2007 at 10:11 PM said:
This should be very useful once the commercial BoB is finally released. :)
If it ever is.

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox posted on Mar 26 2007 at 10:50 PM said:
Ah nice! Any chance of a "launcherless" version that could easily be wrapped into a script so that it easily integrates with custom menu systems?
Because of the way the tv device needs to be kept open, the launcher to be executed needs to be held in the app itself. I could modify the app to accept a launcher/path but I'm lazy so it will probably never happen. The source is available to anyone that wants to do this though.

Megatog615 posted on Mar 27 2007 at 12:47 AM said:
Any way to output to tv mode and on the GP2X at the same time until an application is launched?
Don't think this is possible, but I have seen instances where there's something on both screens at once (but it's just a grey/black area) so maybe the hardware can handle it after all?

Fargo posted on Mar 27 2007 at 04:33 PM said:
Can you allow the user to change the TV-Out mode (resoltion) as well?
Don't know if anyone has got that working yet (looks like GPH tried and either failed or couldn't be bothered finishing off the driver code). I've taken a quick look at it but my problem is I have very little time for gp2x stuff lately. The tv out code in the current kernel is a mess to be honest, and now open2x seems to be moving fast I'm going to see if I can help them out with getting tv out working the way it should.

This is really great! Thanks! My one request would be: If there is someway for it to detect that a tv is not present (i.e. nothing plugged into EXT) to use gp2x screen instead.

Thanks again!

woogal posted on Mar 27 2007 at 07:48 AM said:
Megatog615 posted on Mar 27 2007 at 12:47 AM said:
Don't think this is possible, but I have seen instances where there's something on both screens at once (but it's just a grey/black area) so maybe the hardware can handle it after all?
If I recall correctly the first TV support just shut off the backlight and the screen was a copy of whatever was on the TV. At least I remember seeing the Settings menu with no backlight.

If it is all integrated into the firmware modules then it probably won't let you leave the backlight on without a hack.

PokeParadox posted on Mar 27 2007 at 06:13 PM said:
Well I'd appreciate the source then. I'll try and hack in a launcher commandline option... or something like that.

May I receive a copy as well to work form command line options or config file? And I am making own simple launcher. It would be nice to add tv-out feature to it.

whats the highest res the gp2x can do for tv-out that the hardware will handle?? currently what we have is pants :( also it would be great if someone could upgrade the image viewer so that it anti-aliases images when they aren't 100% scaled as anything zoomed out looks pants and jagged.

Thanks Woogal! I'll try and hack a version where you can specify a program to launch via commandline so that custom GUIs may be run.
If I have time I'll get the latest GMenu2X source and try and integrate the functionality somehow. (although I doubt I'll have time...)

EDIT: Doh... can't get the default app source to compile here... so much for a quick hack.

DBH posted on Mar 28 2007 at 08:36 PM said:
whats the highest res the gp2x can do for tv-out that the hardware will handle?? currently what we have is pants :( also it would be great if someone could upgrade the image viewer so that it anti-aliases images when they aren't 100% scaled as anything zoomed out looks pants and jagged.
The 2x can do 1024x768, which is higher than your tv can display. Movies should be at 720x480 or 720x576 (interlaced) and SDL apps scale to 720x240 or 720x288.

woogal posted on Mar 28 2007 at 10:54 PM said:
Don't know if anyone has got that working yet (looks like GPH tried and either failed or couldn't be bothered finishing off the driver code). I've taken a quick look at it but my problem is I have very little time for gp2x stuff lately. The tv out code in the current kernel is a mess to be honest, and now open2x seems to be moving fast I'm going to see if I can help them out with getting tv out working the way it should.
I've been told that movie player sets tv-out at 640x480. So, if GPH can do other programmers can do, right?!

woogal posted on Mar 28 2007 at 08:54 PM said:
DBH posted on Mar 28 2007 at 08:36 PM said:
The 2x can do 1024x768, which is higher than your tv can display. Movies should be at 720x480 or 720x576 (interlaced) and SDL apps scale to 720x240 or 720x288.

Ok if you somehow get full 1024x768 working and I somehow get hold of a s-video to VGA adapter the 42" LCD TV in my office will fulfil it's destiny (well somewhat) :eek:

Fargo posted on Mar 28 2007 at 09:52 PM said:
I've been told that movie player sets tv-out at 640x480. So, if GPH can do other programmers can do, right?!
The tv driver code only sets 720x480 or 720x576, and I've seen no evidence that the mplayer code changes anything to be 640, so I'm pretty certain you've been told wrong. Anyway, the chip can do all the standard resolutions up to 1024x768, so 640x480 is possible (although in many cases it will look like crap because of the interlacing).

Back