Release BloodTC (eduke32)

sewlek

hey guys,

i was today wrapping my head around on how to create a PND so i would be able to run the BloodTC with eduke32 on my pandora. so I repacked the existing duke3d.pnd and included the TC files, everything works fine and the game runs smooth! the question here is now: Am i allowed to distribute the blood.pnd here in the repo? blood wasnt (isnt?) a free game, and im not sure how the author of the TC created his assets (i assume he simply ripped them from the original game) so probably there would be legal issues? regardless of that, the TC feels almost exactly as the original game, and has also definitions for voxel and .ogg music. (ofc i will also ask for permission from the original TC author before distributing the pnd here)

You can make a script that downloads and extracts the files from the authors website on first run if you are not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news. Hope to see Blood on the repo soon.

Damn, if someone told me in 1996 that I'd still play Blood and Starcraft 20 years later, I wouldn't believe...

well i wrote the author an email, as soon as he agrees for redistributing it ill upload it to the repo

I am not entirely sure that hosting the full game in the Repo would be wise given its questionable legality.

Granted if you've purchased the game from GOG I don't see any problem but there's no way we can tell everyone has purchased it. I have as Blood was one of my favourite games as a kid (The Train and Carnival levels in particular)

Well I know with the prior quake modification ( Transfusion ) Monolith gave permission for their mod to use their artwork: http://www.transfusion-game.com/faq.php

I can't speak if this conversion was given the same blessing.. and as far as I know this conversion doesn't use the retail wad files.

Anyway back to the game testing ;)

Framerate seems to be rather low (Getting around 15 FPS) on the 1GHZ Model Clocked @ 1100MHZ. 
1200MHZ around the same.

Better get that hardware renderer working ;)

If he used my pnd, the hardware renderer already works. But don't expect more fps.

Further thoughts have me thinking maybe it doesn't do any maths on the FPU given that disabling shadows only gives roughly 1FPS extra

Framerate seems to be rather low (Getting around 15 FPS) on the 1GHZ Model Clocked @ 1100MHZ. 

1200MHZ around the same.

I think the bottleneck is in the heavy scripting here, not the graphics (given the fact that I used to discuss the matters with the author a couple years back, I'm actually almost sure)

If you want to compile a recent version of eduke32 that would be nice.

There are some problems in code::blocks pnd to compile it and I have no time for bugfixing :(

1200MHZ around the same.

I think the bottleneck is in the heavy scripting here, not the graphics (given the fact that I used to discuss the matters with the author a couple years back, I'm actually almost sure)
i think so too, at least he mentioned to me yesterday that he is going to make a performance patch this year

I have just run BloodTC scripts with the profiler while playing E1M1. As I could see, the biggest performance issue was the PRIMARY_BLOOD actor (those blood splashes which fly out when you poke a zombie with your pitchfork). Removing this actor actually gives about 10% performance boost during fights involving such blood splashes (it's not a lot, really, just an extra +1...1.5 fps at 10-15 fps I get during fights). So IMHO there will be no silver bullet in CON files optimization.

Back