Blogcritics Gp2x Review

meancode posted on Apr 18 2006 at 06:09 PM said:
Mudi posted on Apr 18 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
Meh, the way the GP2X uses batteries Alkalines tend to drain faster than NiMHs.

Alright, well I might change that then, since so many are in agreement of that here.

NiMH batteries will output almost the full voltage until they are totally drained. Alkalines on the other hand will loose the ability to do so much faster and due to internal resistance. They will cut out even though all of the energy is not used up.

To see this put an alkaline used in a GP2X after it stops working into a low drain device like an old GBA and you will find it will last a very long time. Take an NiMH from a GP2X after it stops and put it in the same GBA and it will not last long as almost all of the energy was used up.

Also in your review those screenshots you have are scaled down and make the GP2X look pretty awful. While you and I know that it is not the way it really looks, many newbs will not and may think the GP2X cannot display games at full res. You should be able to click on those pics for a full detail 1:1 image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you could have purchased the unit at 169.99 (twenty dollars cheaper than what you got it at), from Play-Asia. They had excellent service!

Great article.

DaveC posted on Apr 23 2006 at 12:36 AM said:
meancode posted on Apr 18 2006 at 06:09 PM said:
Mudi posted on Apr 18 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
Meh, the way the GP2X uses batteries Alkalines tend to drain faster than NiMHs.

Alright, well I might change that then, since so many are in agreement of that here.

NiMH batteries will output almost the full voltage until they are totally drained. Alkalines on the other hand will loose the ability to do so much faster and due to internal resistance. They will cut out even though all of the energy is not used up.

To see this put an alkaline used in a GP2X after it stops working into a low drain device like an old GBA and you will find it will last a very long time. Take an NiMH from a GP2X after it stops and put it in the same GBA and it will not last long as almost all of the energy was used up.

That's the problem! Batteries should be rated at jules plus voltage curve not just mAh rating.

nubie posted on Apr 21 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
I think we all missed something very important that he screwed up:

RAM: 64 MB NAND Internal

Please fix that to:

RAM: 64 MB SDRAM

Storage: 64 MB NAND Internal, SD Card

woops!!
I cannot recommend the rechargeable batteries enough, as the GP2X eats them just as fast as the Game Gear did.

Talk about technically inaccurate, the Game Gear used 6 AA batteries, and had an upconverter providing high voltage to an actual flourescent backlight. (the GP2X uses 6 LED lights)

At minimum the Game Gear burns through batteries 3 times as fast as a GP2X

The Game Gear reference was an attempt at being funny. And a lot of people at BC liked it. It was not a technicality. And both the GG and GP2X both eat through batteries very fast, no? That is why I stated it as such.

I will change the RAM and Storage. Thanks. Again. This is NOT on the FAQ page as you have stated here.

I have done my research. I even spoke to a couple board members, even before I had the unit in my hands to test the thing out myself.

I am trying to walk the very thin like of writing for a wide audience that cannot understand technobabble and writing accurately. Frankly I would rather it make sense to layman and have people on this board correct me.

Thanks for taking a look, I really appreciate it. I plan on writing an article on the 2.0 firmware, hopefully this weekend. And I already have an article started about using the GP2X.

Regards,

Ken

icurafu posted on Apr 22 2006 at 06:01 AM said:
although there are a few mistakes due to a lack of research, I think the review was communicated very well. It runs loops around the cnet review.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Encouraging words help :p

In all fairness, that CNET thing was not a review, but yea, it came out looking very bad for them.

DaveC posted on Apr 22 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
Also in your review those screenshots you have are scaled down and make the GP2X look pretty awful. While you and I know that it is not the way it really looks, many newbs will not and may think the GP2X cannot display games at full res. You should be able to click on those pics for a full detail 1:1 image.

Well, I did not just want to have one or two shots. I could pick three or four of them, but figured having more recognizable old games would be better. But I can see your point. Now to just pick which ones! And alas, we do not have a snazzy image gallery setup. I will see if I can get to that this evening.

meancode posted on May 4 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
The Game Gear reference was an attempt at being funny. And a lot of people at BC liked it. It was not a technicality. And both the GG and GP2X both eat through batteries very fast, no? That is why I stated it as such.

I will change the RAM and Storage. Thanks. Again. This is NOT on the FAQ page as you have stated here.

I have done my research. I even spoke to a couple board members, even before I had the unit in my hands to test the thing out myself.

I am trying to walk the very thin like of writing for a wide audience that cannot understand technobabble and writing accurately. Frankly I would rather it make sense to layman and have people on this board correct me.

I took another look, it is very well written and much much more accurate than about 5 or 6 others I have read. Great Job :)

Frankly I was just nit picking with the GameGear thing, I have used one and didn't want people to get the wrong idea about the GP2X.

Keeping the GameGear in alkalines and Ni-Cad batteries brings up bad memories for me, it may have been a joke but it horrified me, I just didn't want others to also get night terrors.

I find that the GP2X gets much more run-time on 2 NiMH than the GG got on 6 AA Alkalines.

GP2X_______2 AA NiMH________4.5 hours____$3.99 for a 4 pack (I bought 8 2500mAh Energizers and charger for $20)

GameGear___6 AA Alkalines_____3.5 hours____$$ (I don't even want to think about keeping this in batteries.)

On the whole I loved it though, very well done, cheers :)

Back