Blogcritics Gp2x Review

The Screen Cover is replaceable if you get it scratched. It does scuff easily, so be careful. I got a scratch on mine minutes out of the box, but that was mainly due to "user error" (me). It is great that I can replace the Screen Cover if/when needed.
Ever thought about taking off the protective film on the screen cover? There is one on the screen and each side of the cover.

Besides, nice and long review, could have said more about the tv-out and ext-port possibilitys in the near future. B)

In testing, you will get four to five hours from NiMH batteries when playing games. Alkaline batteries last a little longer.
You either haven't tested the alkalines or have much better alkalines than me. From my experience Alkalines last about as half as my nimh.

In testing, you will get four to five hours from NiMH batteries when playing games. Alkaline batteries last a little longer.

Did you test it with Alkalines? In my testing, they lasted about 20min.

My GP2X Info Page

EDIT: Heh Heh. Leshrac, you beat me to it.

>With version 1.4 firmware, you can change the speed of the
CPU for watching video files. The GP2X supports MPEG 1, 2,
3, 4, DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x and higher, XviD, WMV (7, 8, 9
Series) as AVI, MPG, or MPEG files

I must have a wrong gp2x....

DaviL posted on Apr 18 2006 at 04:35 PM said:
>With version 1.4 firmware, you can change the speed of the
CPU for watching video files. The GP2X supports MPEG 1, 2,
3, 4, DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x and higher, XviD, WMV (7, 8, 9
Series) as AVI, MPG, or MPEG files

I must have a wrong gp2x....
juste tecnical specification but not true ;) actualy (yes in the futur is would be better ;)) is only support Divx (4,5 some part of 6) Xvid , MP3 only and Avi or OGM (you have to rename them in .avi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then that faq page that I was told was accurate by the author was not so accurate.

And yes, I took the film off the screen cover.

So, if someone would like to tell me what is truly supported, I will update the review. I would rather it be accurate. Thanks.

I have played DivX 3.something files, I think.

The Durracel Alkaline batteries I have, brand new, worked longer than my NiMH batteries. I drained about three sets of Alkalines. Of course my NiMH are not the newest in the world, but in general an Alkaline usually has more juice in them than a rechargeable.

Meh, the way the GP2X uses batteries Alkalines tend to drain faster than NiMHs.

greenpix posted on Apr 18 2006 at 10:32 AM said:
Ever thought about taking off the protective film on the screen cover? There is one on the screen and each side of the cover.

Besides, nice and long review, could have said more about the tv-out and ext-port possibilitys in the near future. B)

I think this was around 2000 words? I had to cut a lot. I have an entire section about the tv-outt, but had to cut it. I will be writing another piece on the gp2x, mainly on software. I plan to stick the stuff took out of here into that.

ext-port possibilitys? You mean that breakout box I just read about, and the 2.0 firmware? When that stuff is out, I am sure I will be writing about it. It is a lot easier to write about these things when I have it in my hands and have time to use them.

Mudi posted on Apr 18 2006 at 02:03 PM said:
Meh, the way the GP2X uses batteries Alkalines tend to drain faster than NiMHs.

Alright, well I might change that then, since so many are in agreement of that here.

Hopefully I will be writing more on the GP2X shortly. Thanks to all that read my review and took the time to leave a comment here. I appreciate it.

As it stands right now, I have a number of other products to review before I can revisit the GP2X

Right now I am glad I have a 1 GB SD card, but even that is filling up.

Well, I can tell you about the movie playing capabilities.

Currently, one can play DivX 3, 4 and 5, XviD and Ogg Movies (OGM, renamed with a .avi extension). The music player plays MP3 and Ogg Vorbis.

Hopefully in the near future there will be support for more formats what with the re-port of mplayer.

nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 04:44 PM said:

Currently, one can play DivX 3 and 4, XviD and Ogg Movies (OGM, renamed with a .avi extension). The music player plays MP3 and Ogg Vorbis.

Hopefully in the near future there will be support for more formats what with the re-port of mplayer.
I encoded all my DivX files to 5.31 or whatever the numbers after DivX 5 were, and it was seemless playback. That was, when I had a Gp2x :(

Thanks!

PSyMastR posted on Apr 18 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Apr 18 2006 at 04:44 PM said:

Currently, one can play DivX 3 and 4, XviD and Ogg Movies (OGM, renamed with a .avi extension). The music player plays MP3 and Ogg Vorbis.

I encoded all my DivX files to 5.31 or whatever the numbers after DivX 5 were, and it was seemless playback. That was, when I had a Gp2x :(

OK, so it does do DivX 5? Please make up my mind.

I don't even have my PC laptop here to try an encode anything in DivX 5 :(

it does all divx versions.

i realy dont like it when people base reviews on things they read rather than testing it themselfs, but ti seems comeon nowdays :-/

Maybe the FAQ post should be updated. I may not have tested every single codec, but I did talk to the author of the FAQ.

It is truly great, but don't call it a clone, that wasn't the intent of the author (and it plays differently). Its more of an homage to GW and Asteroids.

I think we all missed something very important that he screwed up:

RAM: 64 MB NAND Internal

Please fix that to:

RAM: 64 MB SDRAM

Storage: 64 MB NAND Internal, SD Card

woops!!
I cannot recommend the rechargeable batteries enough, as the GP2X eats them just as fast as the Game Gear did.

Talk about technically inaccurate, the Game Gear used 6 AA batteries, and had an upconverter providing high voltage to an actual flourescent backlight. (the GP2X uses 6 LED lights)

At minimum the Game Gear burns through batteries 3 times as fast as a GP2X

Back