Blasphemy! New Favourite Handheld = Psp?

I have to say that the Joystick on the GP2x is one of the worst I have ever used and to think that it was designed for gaming is simply a joke.

Wrong!!!, It was designed first and foremost as a Portable Media Player.

Trooper

With all this new stuff coming out for the PSP, I'm finding I'm hardly touching my other handhelds at all.
Custom firmware 3.03 is just so good; homebrew and latest games without the need for anything else!
I even bought Gradius and Midway Arcade on the PSP recently, as they were dirt cheap, but found that they work better from ISOs anyway. Seems quicker to load and battery doesn't take a beating.
The CPS1/2 and Neo Geo emulators and also so good and of course, the PSX emulator rocks as well.

Anyone else feels the same way? Is this just temporary? Will the GP2X make a big comeback?

lol, i already have a psp and ds and am getting the gp2x soon, or when ever play-asia decides to send it, however i find that i use both equally because both have a good variety of games. now i'll just have to find time to squeeze the gp2x in when it arrives, lol.

hey, are all those handhelds in the pic yours? :eek:
I believe they are satanclause's. Haven't seen him around these parts lately though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had that system to begin with (ps1) and would love to see all the weird japanese shooters (zanac, etc) that never came out in the states - that would be reason enough for me to get my hands on one!

Zanac was released at least for the NES in the US. I remember buying it from Toys R Us in the 80's for $20 Great shmup classic.

SNES is actually not that good on PSP. Yes it has transparencies and emulates the special chips (slowly), but it can't touch the speed SquidgeSNES has now.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but SD is also a much better and cheaper format than MS Duo.

i absoluetly love my psp, ive been doing alot of stuff with it, and actually like it more than my 2x (since my 2x cant play parappa the rappa full speed!) the psp definatly has alot more going for it (im guessing due to its commercial status) but the scene is great! With people like Dark_AleX keepin up with sony with his great firmwares, games like MGS Portable Ops, and the tons of great homebrew im hooked! it does have its problems (such as the joystick, but im not havign any problems with it, its just akward at times), but i overlook it with its good d-pad, wifi, nice screen etc..... i find the snes emulation quite good tbh, i play Super Mario RPG nearly full speed and im really enjoying the psx emulation (just beat parappa, again!), i still use my 2x for its (also) great share of homebrew but im finding it to be more of an emulation machine for me (which is what i use it for) since 2 gigs of neo geo on the go pwnz, imo both are great and have their own functions that make me use both (i just wish the 2x had more homebrew!)

You know, this is probably the booze talking, and yeah I type pretty good even while drunk but bear with me..

I think nows the perfect time to show the rest of the world the gp2x doesn't have the glaring flaws it had before.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, at times like these when we feel we may have to say goodbyes to parts of the community to the psp, perhaps we just need to grab more people who aren't on the homebrew front at all.

you know, coders on the linux gaming scene, show people that its a stable, versatile linux gaming rig now...

I dunno. :ph34r:

SNES is actually not that good on PSP. Yes it has transparencies and emulates the special chips (slowly), but it can't touch the speed SquidgeSNES has now.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but SD is also a much better and cheaper format than MS Duo.

Snes is incredible on the PSP, not just for the speed (which it has, it seems to emulate the speed 'correctly') but also for the sheer fluency of the emu. It has EVERY feature you could ever wish for!*

*Probably

Snes on the Psp not that good?

It is great and apart from great speed, it has many features for example:

Save states allowing you to delete, save, import and export to Snes9x state. Autosave timer. The option to completely redefine your controls. You can switch from Video modes of Zoom 4/3, fit, 1:1, Zoom wide, full, full clipped and smoothing.

You have speed limit /fps switch, frame skip, vsync, render PAL as NTSC, gamma correction, screen caliberation, sound frequency and APU cycles ratio, configurable CPU clock speeds, Hack/Debug support, Cheat support like Game Genie, Action Replay, Goldfinger.

Not only this but it has very high compatibility and also runs many of the enhanced Snes games for example Legend Of Zelda Parallel Worlds and Super Metroid Redesign. Considering this emulator is a port and not coded from scratch specifically for the Psp it is even more of an accomplishment.

So unless SquidgeSnes is also a port the speed comparisom isn't fair even though Snes TYL kernel mode runs fast and with the correct settings, many games run full speed or extremely close. The kernel mode version of Snes TYL has a good speed improvement because it uses the Media Engine for all sound processing thereby leaving the main CPU with less load and more time.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that Snes TYL's most latest version also has a Netplay mode with Wifi support so for example, you could play Street Fighter 2 with a friend against eachother in two player mode. There is also a final release planned so who knows what other improvements there will be.

I think nows the perfect time to show the rest of the world the gp2x doesn't have the glaring flaws it had before.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, at times like these when we feel we may have to say goodbyes to parts of the community to the psp, perhaps we just need to grab more people who aren't on the homebrew front at all.

I don't quite understand why the GP2X isn't available to buy in "real" stores yet.

I would have thought that particularly the new value pack would be guaranteed to shift at least a FEW units if displayed alongside the PSPs and DSs in hypermarkets, electrical and gaming outlets. When I saw my first GP2X ad a year or so ago, my first reaction was to head into town to see if I could find one. A lot of people are also a bit adverse to mail order, so providing an alternative surely couldn't hurt.

Is this actually set to happen at some point?

I don't quite understand why the GP2X isn't available to buy in "real" stores yet.

I would have thought that particularly the new value pack would be guaranteed to shift at least a FEW units if displayed alongside the PSPs and DSs in hypermarkets, electrical and gaming outlets. When I saw my first GP2X ad a year or so ago, my first reaction was to head into town to see if I could find one. A lot of people are also a bit adverse to mail order, so providing an alternative surely couldn't hurt.

I doubt it. To sell something in a 'hypermarket', you need lots and lots of advertising -- something GPH isn't even capable of, nevermind if they advertise enough or not. Joe Consumer doesn't want some odd Korean handheld that doesn't come with any real stateside support, he wants a Sony or Nintendo.

I doubt it. To sell something in a 'hypermarket', you need lots and lots of advertising -- something GPH isn't even capable of, nevermind if they advertise enough or not. Joe Consumer doesn't want some odd Korean handheld that doesn't come with any real stateside support, he wants a Sony or Nintendo.

Quite honestly they COULD sell it in stores if sold in the right places. No it couldn't be sold next to the PSP or DS as a game unit, it would not sell.

It could sell if put in stores as a low end PMP though. It could come in a blister pack and be put on peg displays like a cheap MP3 player next to i-river, Sansa, MyMusix etc. It would be sold like a cheap ipod video alternative with a bigger screen. It could come pre-installed with some retro games re-makes and better homebrew on NAND (not emus of course) like the Caplet has too. Of course when the word got out that it could do "other things" it would probably sell ok.

It could also sell if put in computer stores as a PMP bundled with a dev kit as a linux dev hobbiest handheld. Many linux geeks would go mental for it.

GPH should see about having them made in China and get the price down. If they can sell Caplets (which also have a 320 x 240 screen) for $40 in places like BestBuy, Circuit city, Electronics boutique, I would think they could sell the GP2X for $99-$149 and still make money.

It could actually be very successful if targeted, priced, and marketed correctly.

@ Lodis Squidgesnes is also a port. It was ported basically from the same snes9x code that is used for the PSP only an older(much older) version. It was ported from Yoyofr's GP32 version with numerous fixes, patches, hacks done by a few different GP2X coders. It is hardly the best it could be on Gp2X either. All of those video modes on the PSP aren't much help either. You basically get a choice of a tiny clean image or a larger but blurry image because of the lousy screen aspect. It still looks better on the GP2X at 1:1.

Because to be sold in "real" stores, you need to be able to supply a sh*tload of gp2xes, since you must provide inventory for all the shops in the chain, and you need to be able to promise you'll take them all back if they don't sell. You thus need to have the financial solidity to have a lot of money tied up in stock, with no guarantee of revenue. I don't know, but my belly feeling says GPH isn't at that level.

You also need to be able to offer enough to the retailers when Sony and Nintendo come knocking and says "Oh, so you're selling that thing and calling it a 'handheld gaming machine'? Well, we'll just suppose you don't need any shipments of our handheld stuff, then". They will do that - If they know anything about the GP2x, they'll know it as an emulation machine, which they'll have no scruples about crushing out of the market. Hell, they'd do it to each other if they thought they could succeed.

Few retailers will take the option of stocking an obscure Korean machine with next to no commercial games library over the guaranteed revenue stream that is the PSP and NDS libraries.

As Dave says, it could sell disguised as a PMP. But I doubt even that would float for very long.

I didn't read a single post in this topic.

I tend to agree these days ...

just got a psp, getting my memory stick tomorrow. going to try out of of these sony puppies if its up to snuff then i'll ebay my 295Mhz 2x.

the lure of full speed psx and gba are too much, if the screen is unbearable then i'll ebay the PSP.

Telco for president!

going to try out of of these sony puppies if its up to snuff then i'll ebay my 295Mhz 2x.
the lure of full speed psx and gba are too much, if the screen is unbearable then i'll ebay the PSP.
I wouldn't sell either of my GP2X or PSP - they complement each other. At the moment the PSP is fun, but doesn't mean the GP2X isn't.

GP2X still has the best version of MAME for goodness sake! PSP MAME just isn't as good (I don't know why, it's based on the GP2X MAME).

just got a psp, getting my memory stick tomorrow. going to try out of of these sony puppies if its up to snuff then i'll ebay my 295Mhz 2x.

Telco for president!

One other factor you should consider is the manufacture quality of the Psp screen, I noticed that the Japanese Psps had better quality screens than the UK region ones. Apparently the Japanese region Psps are manufactured with a higher quality 'Sharp' model screen but the other regions have an inferior one. I can honestly say I have noticed the difference between two different Region Psps in terms of screen quality but it could have been a one off occurance since I do not have any other Psps to compare.

going to try out of of these sony puppies if its up to snuff then i'll ebay my 295Mhz 2x.
I wouldn't sell either of my GP2X or PSP - they complement each other. At the moment the PSP is fun, but doesn't mean the GP2X isn't.

GP2X still has the best version of MAME for goodness sake! PSP MAME just isn't as good (I don't know why, it's based on the GP2X MAME).
I was very disappointed with MAME on the PSP, I was expecting to get more than the GP2x version and instead got a lot less. I put it down to the fact that the average PSP user probably doesn't care about 80's arcade games. I wouldn't be surprised if the average PSP user wasn't even alive in the 80's.

I'd never sell my GP2x, but for now it's not getting much use.

Back