Blasphemy! New Favourite Handheld = Psp?

Well... my two cents.
I own most consoles and handhelds out there, therefore, I have a PSP and a gp2x.

Which one is better?
Well, haven't touched the PSP for a while, just got FW 3.02 custom with the PSX Emulator and easy-homebrew-enabled.
So I tested all the most recent versions of the actual emulators.

When it comes to Genesis, SMS, C64, etc. I still like the gp2x-Versions better. Mainly for the screen (no scaling, no blurring while scrolling).
When it comes to SNES... well, the PSP has transparencies and more features, that's for sure. Also sound with some games is a tad better. However, speedwise, it can't compete when using SquidgeSNES using optimized settings and RAM Timings at 270 MHz.
I tried Seiken Densetsu 3 and Terranigma on the PSP - and it is soooo damn choppy, even when optimizing the settings.
Runs MUCH better on the gp2x.

And yep, MAME is way better on the gp2x.
The PSX Emu rocks on the PSP though.

So, I still like playing old 2D emulators on the gp2x more, whereas the PSX emu is the one I play on the PSP.
The file management on the PSP sucks, though. I can't put hundreds of homebrew games sorted onto my stick - a menu with ALL the stuff in one list is terrible.

So, both have the right to exist.
The gp2x can be much faster than the PSP, but is lacking 3D hardware for 3D emulators (it never was intended to do that anyways) and some hardware effects. Though it has hardware antialiasing which can be used (but is not yet.

Back