Bitcoin

Hypothetically a solid state device should never wear out. It's a good hypothesis.
If you use it in read only mode, sure. Writing a bit puts a lot more stress on the silicon than making use of conventional silicon circuity, way more than what I would call common wear and tear of just using it - without wear leveling that would be quite a noticeable issue. In the case of SSDs it's usually the controller that dies first, though.

The rather simple design of GPUs surely helps with durability, their performance mainly comes from throwing as much ALUs as possible at the problem.

Hypothetically a solid state device should never wear out. It's a good hypothesis.
That is easily refuted by the fact that devices do, eventually, stop working: it only takes one to prove the hypothesis false.

I have a 10 year old PC. Had no issues with it , except the Graphics card has burnt out 3 times. I'm now on the 4th graphics card in 10 years

I think he more means that they shouldn't, not that they don't.
A hypothesis is an untested assumption. We can (and have) tested it. It's false. :p
Yeah, I know what he's saying, I'm just further emphasizing that we know jack about the durability of these things.

A hypothesis is an untested assumption. We can (and have) tested it. It's false. :p
Yeah, I know what he's saying, I'm just further emphasizing that we know jack about the durability of these things.

I stated a hypothesis, showed a supporting case then showed a case proving it false. I'm not sure what you're on about.

I have a 10 year old PC. Had no issues with it , except the Graphics card has burnt out 3 times. I'm now on the 4th graphics card in 10 years
hypothesis: Maybe it is your PCI slot on the Motherboard that is killing them off?
Test: Change motherboard, Graphics card should last longer than 10/4 years.
Hypothetically a solid state device should never wear out.
My wife says that my solid state device wears out after only 3 minutes... is that normal?

In my experience in my lifetime thus far, it's usually the RTC battery or one of other electrolytic caps that usually goes pop in old kit. The actually solid state bits of them don't usually fail, although the traces to them can be eaten by the electrolytes rendering them useless.

Expect PoW actually has very valuable usecase, and that is keeping the network trustless.

...as long as some not easily verifiable conditions are met. The average investor has no choice but to trust the network.

...as long as some not easily verifiable conditions are met. The average investor has no choice but to trust the network.
If you mean 51% attack, anybody can contribute to make it harder. The difference is that the network is in the hands of its users, versus selected third parties.

I'm not sure what you're on about.
Technically, as soon as it's proven false it's no longer a hypothesis: it's simply false. I was just being a pedantic ass. :p
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be serious or anything, just segueing the conversation.

Technically, as soon as it's proven false it's no longer a hypothesis: it's simply false. I was just being a pedantic ass. :p
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be serious or anything, just segueing the conversation.

Right. Pedantic. I stated a hypothesis then stated a supporting case then stated a case that proved my hypothesis wrong. Is that not the correct way to go about things? :D

Right. Moving on.

So, I have a blown-out 500GB Samsung 840SSD. It has a nice aluminum case around it. I wonder if I can transmorph it into a wallet.

Back