Betaplayer - Opensource Video Player For Pocketpc

as usual with divx/xvid/mpeg4: take care that you don't publish binaries if you're in a country where the mpeg stuff is patented (at least USA, though software patents are on the rise in europe, too)

oxygene posted on Aug 18 2004 at 05:22 PM said:
as usual with divx/xvid/mpeg4: take care that you don't publish binaries if you're in a country where the mpeg stuff is patented (at least USA, though software patents are on the rise in europe, too)
That only counts for encoders I beleive, decoders are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Aug 19 2004 at 01:45 PM said:
That only counts for encoders I beleive, decoders are fine.
that was true for mp3 for a while (until 2001) as long as the player was distributed "non-commercial" (are banners on the download page already 'commercial'?), but that was dropped, too..

in general, the licensing terms can change anytime, so mpeg is just a too great risk to use.

microsoft FAQ to mpeg4 licensing said:
- Manufacturers pay royalties for the right to make and sell decoders and encoders.
- Personal codec use and end-user to end-user communications are covered as part of the manufacturer's license.
the manufacturer is.. uhmm.. I guess, the porter? and he has to pay for a license which grants him the right to make (and to sell - again, what about ad-revenue on the download page?) the encoder/decoder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back