Beta Testers For Utf-8 Support In Greader2x

Coder

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I'm attempting to add support for foreign languages to GReader2X my configurable text reader, unfortunately I don't speak anything but English.

I'm looking for a few people who speak other languages who are willing to spend some time to test the changes I've made. You'll need to be willing to make fairly detailed bug reports, and be willing to send example texts so I can recreate any problems you find. That means you'll need to test on non copyrighted material.

Some familiarity with GReader2X would be an advantage, as would a GP2X. :D

If you're interested and you have the time to spare, drop me a mail at coder_gp2x@users.sourceforge.net telling me the language you'd like to test and I'll send you the latest compile.

cheers,

Coder.

Can't beta test right now, but, please add æ, ø, å which is the danish (I think) and norwegian special letters. :)

cowai said:
Can't beta test right now, but, please add æ, ø, å which is the danish (I think) and norwegian special letters. :)
Well, it displays those characters (with the correct font loaded) and the wrapping and justification look OK.

I'd still like someone who speaks (reads) Danish or Norwegian to try it out with a few more texts though.

Cheers,

Coder.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can do some teste for french language ( é, è, ç, à, ê, ï, ù)

I have loaded for the first time and done some quick test, i found problems that don't have to do with UTF-8 support. The config screen just print black page. When i press A button, i came to the (audio)player. After reload no problem. It seem to have to do with Linux support, with greader.cfg (created by Greader) and Greader.cfg (default one). To don't have this problem you have to rename your Greader.cfg in greader.cfg.

It would be great to have access to end or begening of file with one button (one press go to the begening, another press go to the end).

The audio player search from where? is this working?

In MenuFontSize in the botom of the scren it said Exit=abandon en Select = accept ? for the default config B is accept and START abandon.

I think L/R and Y/X function are inverted in default config. R and X must be page down and L and Y must be page up.

It don't display background image.

------------------------------------
the word "était" is displayed a square with "it" and many other thing like this.

I use this ebook in UTF-8 format and use this font. It seem, it don't use the font i configured for MainFont=

Yod4z said:
I have loaded for the first time and done some quick test, i found problems that don't have to do with UTF-8 support. The config screen just print black page. When i press A button, i came to the (audio)player. After reload no problem. It seem to have to do with Linux support, with greader.cfg (created by Greader) and Greader.cfg (default one). To don't have this problem you have to rename your Greader.cfg in greader.cfg.
There are lots of changes still going on with this release, and yeah, I screwed up on the naming of the CFG file I sent you guys. It should be all lower case. Sorry about that.

I wouldn't rely on the built in config routines at the moment either, they're still under construction. most of the changes you make still need a restart to take effect, and not all config entries are working.

Yod4z said:
It would be great to have access to end or begening of file with one button (one press go to the begening, another press go to the end).
That's planned, but as we're running out of buttons, it's not there until support for "shifted" keys is working (the idea is you can assign something like X+JoyDown as Go to End and you then have to press both keys to perform the action) That isn't even in the version you guys have, it is in the CVS version I'm working on, but is still quite flaky.

Yod4z said:
The audio player search from where? is this working?
There is a config option (AudioBase) which points to a directory with MP3 or OGG files, that option isn't in the config I sent you, but you can add it manually if you want.

Yod4z said:
In MenuFontSize in the botom of the scren it said Exit=abandon en Select = accept ? for the default config B is accept and START abandon.
You mean the wording is ambiguous? OK, I can do a lookup and put the actual keys you've chosen instead of "Select" and "Exit"

Yod4z said:
I think L/R and Y/X function are inverted in default config. R and X must be page down and L and Y must be page up.
That's possible, I've just changed toolchains from the official SDK to devkitGP2X, and there are apparently differences in the keys. I'll figure out the differences and do a new config with sensible defaults before the next release.

Yod4z said:
It don't display background image.
I'm surprised at that, background images have been working for quite a while and, yep just checked and they still do. You need the image to be a JPG or PNG file and it has to exist in the same directory as the program.

I know the config I sent you has Background="bluebg.jpg" in it but I didn't send the bluebg.jpg file in the archive. Have you copied this file over and tried?

Also if you've changed the background image using the built in config routines, you have to exit and restart for it to pick up the new setting. As I said, this is a work in progress, the only bit that is really ready for testing is the UTF-8 stuff, and even that is likely to have major bugs.

Yod4z said:
------------------------------------
the word "était" is displayed a square with "it" and many other thing like this.

I use this ebook in UTF-8 format and use this font. It seem, it don't use the font i configured for MainFont=

OK, this is interesting, the file is actually saved as ANSI encoded rather than UTF-8 (yes I know it says it's UTF-8 on the Gutenburg website) if you convert it to UTF-8 it works fine.

To convert it on windows (sorry I'm not near a linux machine to check on there) load the file into notepad and select File/Save As, at the bottom of the dialog that pops up, select UTF-8 under encoding. Save the file and it should work OK.

Cheers,

Coder.

Edit: Just checked, you can set the encoding of a document in Kate on linux. It's in the Save As dialog, at the top right. Just next to the Directory dropdown.

i have reencoded the ebook in UTF-8 and now it display correctly the special caracteres :D
But i can't display image background, i have tried using the default background from official version and another image :(. I edited manualy the cfg and tried using the frontend.

Yod4z said:
i have reencoded the ebook in UTF-8 and now it display correctly the special caracteres :D
That's good, I'll see if I can find out who to notify at Project Gutenburg, since it's so easy to fix.

Yod4z said:
But i can't display image background, i have tried using the default background from official version and another image :(. I edited manualy the cfg and tried using the frontend.
Hmmm, very strange. The line in the cfg should be:

Background="bluebg.jpg"

for the background included in version 0.3 (the official version). I doubt that is the problem but I'm not sure what else it could be. Just make sure that only the B in background is upper case and that the case of the image file is correct.

I'll send you my latest development release a little later today, the config routines are working much better and I know it allows you to select the background (without restarting the program even).

Be warned, the version I'll send is a dev version, some things may not work, so don't use it as your everyday reader.

Back