Release Beta Test: Upcoming (HF5) Firmware Image BETA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

well, we've been working, fixed some more bugs added some new stuff.

Image seems to be working nicely for me so far, but it would be cool if more could try and report back.

It's still not in PND-form, so flashing this puts your Pandora back to the state you got it. Be sure to backup anything you put on the internal storage if you need it.

Here are the changes that happened from the first beta:

Code:
* Fixed broken OPP after the unit crashed (patch by urjaman)
* Included latest SGX PowerVR drivers (thanks to notaz)
* LCD-Settings: You can now set your default video filter
* XFCE: Removed unneeded launchers (Mail and Messenger)
* Libraries: Added libsamplerate
* MiniMenu: Added Pleng's option to not quit on app run
* MiniMenu: added toggle (press "A" or tab) for detail panel 
* MiniMenu: updated default skin to handle it .. other skins will not permit the toggle until updated. 
* MiniMenu: Cleaned up a little bit of the code, so mmenu shoudl run a little faster too.
* OS: Added Version number to Splashscreen (current version: RC1 - V4.6)

Please check the new features, especially the 3D Driver, MiniMenu and check if all your apps are still running fine :)

In case you haven't checked HF5 Beta 1 yet, here is the link to the old thread.

How to flash the image?

Easy: Download the zipped image and extract the full contents onto the root of your SD Card.

Put the SD Card into slot 1 (the left one), switch on the Pandora while holding the R-Shoulder button and select "boot from SD1:1"

The flashing process should start. After it's finished, reboot the unit.

The first boot will take a while (up to 10 minutes). Patiently wait and you'll be greeted with the First Boot Wizard.

EDIT: Beta 3 is available here now!

[/CODE]

Last edited:
Well the new SGX driver hopefully won't crash when moving a window around (or embedding a GLES context). It should also increase shader compilation speed for GLES2, support more extensions etc. Hopefully it will also fix the memory leaks.

no *new* issues found so far, the firmware works just fine.

Biggest and most annoying issues are still in there thou. Baahh, I'll try to find some time reporting them on the bug tracker

I just had some problems with SuperTux on the last version, not the latest. I couldn't shutdown/restart either, the unit hung at a cursor screen. Downloading this to see if it resolves anything.

as I've already posted on the other boards, my wifi doesn't work on this version at all. I enable it, the light comes on, I get the message that network connections are available, then nothing. I don't get the prompt to enter my password, so it goes no further

Just finished flashing the new firmware. All seems in order, with one large exception. I am no longer able to use wifi. It will not even turn on. I toggle wifi on and the message comes up WLAN is being enabled. But nothing happens. I get no message saying wireless available, etc. When I select the connection Icon all I see are VPS connection options.

Troubleshooting, I grabbed the newest wifibeta pnd and installed. Still no change.

Any suggestions? Try a reflash?

Now, this is interesting.

I remember the same happened for many people when they installed HF4.... back then, nothing had been changed in the driver.

This time, the Beta-Driver is basically the same as the finished one. And HF5B1 and HF5B2 have the same WiFi driver... though no one reported non-working WiFi with HF5B1...?

Hmm.. can you try a

sudo iwlist scan

from the terminal to see if it is the Network Manager or the driver?

Ah Sorry I started re-flashing just for grins to see if I fudged something. Sorry I missed your post.

I wish I would have seen your post before hand. After reflash everything works fine.

What I think I did was installed the beta wifi driver after reflashing the update, before trying it and that might have fudged things. Works great now.

What I think I did was installed the beta wifi driver after reflashing the update, before trying it and that might have fudged things. Works great now.

That might've been the case, as it could result in modules and WiFi driver not working together :)

Could someone test if the transparancy bug in XBMC is gone with this hotfix ?

I mean, are the menu readable now ?

EDIT : deww on irc tested that and relid with this : http://pastebin.com/JziNvKrq

EvilDragon, it seems that it have some more change in here....

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the same happened for many people when they installed HF4.... back then, nothing had been changed in the driver.

This time, the Beta-Driver is basically the same as the finished one. And HF5B1 and HF5B2 have the same WiFi driver... though no one reported non-working WiFi with HF5B1...?
Well, it could be the bug with /etc/network/run not being a symlink to a volatile directory.

In essence this directory should always be cleaned on bootup, better yet, point to a tmpfs.

If the system goes down due to a reset or something like that it refuses to set up lo on reboot because the ifstate says that lo is already up f.i. :) .

I don't now if this is fixed in 4.[56]. If not, consider this a bug report. Fixing it is probably easier than sending a patch (because then I need to find out how to do that, and I must confess that OE really left me frightened and unaccomplished when trying to bootstrap the OE chain back in 2007).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back