Best Torrent Sites?

This really should be in Off-Topic Discussion, if for no other reason then to make sure it doesn't appear on the front page...anywho, everyone who doesn't have a bandwidth throttler and runs Windows should download a client like BitTornado (my fav) and set their upload speed to "dial-up/isdn". On a cable modem of 1.5mbps / 256kbps, my download speed can actually go DOWN if I set the upload speed higher. How why is that you ask? As BitTorando says, "your download speed is proportional to your upload speed", but in a different way then they probably mean. If your upload speed is too high, you risk overflowing your modem's queue which means lost packets. Even if you set your upload speed to 0 for some reason, you are still uploading packets to the tracker and clients as you request for more data. Now of course if you are on some university or other excellent connection, you should set your upload higher. But for those of us with residential broadband connections, we need to keep it at the dial-up setting.

There's also another benefit. When I set all my downloads to dial-up/isdn for upload, I can even have 6+ torrents going without it noticably affecting web surfing! But try to have 3 torrents at unlimited or even dsl/cable slow and not only can I barely surf the web, but the upload rate for those three torrents is unstable - sometimes one of them gets little to no bandwidth. And I am sure all those lost packets aren't helping anyone. So in the end, having 6 torrents open all pans out, as you are being a nice seeder, uploading relatively the same amount of data as you would be able to on unlimited!

Thanks for that info GNMX, I have been having trouble with BitTorrent lately, looks like I have found my problem. BitTornado herr I come!

EDIT: Hmm, BitTornado is running, but worse than the last client, I'm not getting any download now.

EDIT2: Worked it out, turns out the bad download speed is 'cause there is next to no one uploading (Its the full set of cowboy bebop eps off suprnova if you want to help :p ). Keeping BitTornado though, 'cause it's sexy.

Sorry for double post, but it's the only way to get your attention.

BitTornado indicater thingy is green, telling me I'm behind a firewall, but I don't have a software one enabled, is it possible that my OS (Windows ME) has one on by default, or is there anything else I should try?

finty101 posted on Aug 28 2004 at 09:06 PM said:

BitTornado indicater thingy is green, telling me I'm behind a firewall, but I don't have a software one enabled, is it possible that my OS (Windows ME) has one on by default, or is there anything else I should try?
Try hellmans burger sauce :rolleyes:

I have ME and have no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
finty101 posted on Aug 28 2004 at 08:06 PM said:

Do you have a router? They have built-in firewalls. If not xp does have a really bad firewall, not sure about ME.

No, no router yet, will have on tuesday though. The only thing I have is a virus scanner, but as far as I know it has no built in firewall. Plus its like, 5 years old.

I have a router and am having some trouble with bittorrent, especially Shareaza. I have to forward some ports or something...no idea how to.

Annoying thing about my router is that when I've finished on the internet at night I have to come downstairs, turn it off and then turn the NTL TV internet box thingy off. Not good.

If your router has a DMZ, you can place your downloading machine in that, so that it has full access to the internet. As long as your machine is protected by a decent software firewall, youi should have no problems... BTW - a DMZ (Demiliterized Zone) is an area that is outside your firewall, but is more trusted than the internet itself.

Also, make sure if you are using a decent software firewall, you have the XP firewall switched off (if you have XP!), as having both on at the same time can cause probs with P2P...

Mark posted on Aug 29 2004 at 10:40 PM said:
I have a router and am having some trouble with bittorrent, especially Shareaza. I have to forward some ports or something...no idea how to.

Annoying thing about my router is that when I've finished on the internet at night I have to come downstairs, turn it off and then turn the NTL TV internet box thingy off. Not good.

There's some help for port forwarding here http://bt.etree.org/ Shouldn't be too hard.

Back