Best Intellivision Games

crade

I grew up on Intellivision, and I am hopeful that I will finally have a portable console that can handle the controls on Intellivision games.

My favorites are:

Tron deadly discs

By far my favorite. It's kindof a slowed down robotron-ish game.

You play Tron, and you are attacked by enemies who throw their discs at you and try to derez you. You can use your disc to block the discs, or throw back. You can run and throw independantly, which really makes the game. The Recognizers come so often to kick your ass too, and you must time your throws at them when the slot on their head is open.

This game was made before the movie came out.

Dreadnaught factor -

horizontal (but birds eye view) scrolling shooter. You are making multiple passes at a huge star destroyer type thing, and have a limited number of passes to destroy it before it blows up your home planet.

dfactor.png

Space Spartans

Space Flight Sim crossed with RPG (if you can believe it). Requires the Intellivoice.

In Space Spartans, you must use the map screen to hyperjump to enemy territory and try to attack the enemy bases. The enemy is also sending squadrons to attack your own starbases, which you need to survive, so you must balance your time between attack to cut off the enemy at the source and defense to prevent your bases from being destroyed.

The enemies are still moving around on the map screen and trying to destroy your bases while you fight elsewhere, so you need to be fast.

sprt01.png
sprt02.png

Burgertime

You are a chef making burgers! What can I say, it's fun. :)

Astrosmash

Astrosmash started as a clone of asteroids, and evolved into something different. Basically you are on the ground shooting up at incomming objects. Some of the incoming objects will destroy you if they touch the ground, and some only if they hit you. It is fast paced and great fun.

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons - Treasures of Tarmin.

A 3D(lol, really it is!) Dungeon Crawler. Collect items and treasure and battle enemies. I have still never managed to beat this game. It is really long.

561544781855d3e560.jpg

Lock N Chase

You are a thief trying to rob a place blind before the evil cops catch you! Plays like Pacman, but you can lock doors in certain places to help hold off the cops.

Space Patrol

Independant release in 2007. It is a "Moon Patrol" clone, which some claim to be better than the Atari 5200 version, also I haven't played that version so I don't know.

Definately an amazing effort, and great fun.

spacepatrol.png

Edit: Fixed up post to be a bit fun.

Edit 2: Added pictures (can't be outdone by some pansy Atari thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Night Stalker - Maze - Traverse a maze whilst avoiding deadly spiders, bats, and robots, and whilst trying not to waste all of your limited ammunition too quickly (you can retrieve more ammo, though). The robots become increasingly dangerous as the game goes on, until they bear cloaking devices which render them invisible. There's a bunker where you can hide, but beware, as some robots have the firepower to destroy it!

EDIT: Forgot one;

Thin Ice - Other - Duncan the Penguin (the result of one of the earliest efforts at creating a video game-exclusive character, instead of licensing other existing properties) skates across the ice, causing it to weaken. If you skate in a square around the other penguins on the ice, it sends them crashing into the water. Watch out for the bullying seal and polar bear, though - they're not too happy about your skating shenanigans.

Quick fact:

Dude, if you want to legally own a bunch of Intellivision games for cheap, get Intellivision Lives!

^ Yes, but there is less than 10 decent games on that package.

The mostly put all the sports games, and the stupid educational games.

Quick fact:

Dude, if you want to legally own a bunch of Intellivision games for cheap, get Intellivision Lives!

another "Quick fact:"

many of those officially licensed Intellivision game collections have games that have been tinkered with and DO NOT play the same...um, Dude..

..back on topic though, in addition to a bunch of the games listed here, some of my favorite Intellivision games are: Swords & Serpents, Microsurgeon, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (aka"Cloudy Mountain") Atlantis, and Beauty and the Beast.

p.s. Though the game is awesome, I still hate that polar bear in Thin Ice. :angry:

Bomb Squad: A terrorist plans to blow up the city. You have to use your tools to replace electronic components, guided by your assistant, to figure out the code to disarm the bomb. Uses the intellivoice, by the way: the terrorist (named Boris) frequently mocks you. :)

Donkey Kong, of course, needs no explanation.

Utopia, a two player sim game, like Civilizations great great great great grandfather. Doesn't work too well single player, other than for points.

And of course we can't forget Zaxxon. The arcade version is much much better, of course, but this one is still quite enjoyable, once you figure it out.

Back