Best Emu...

Danny_Boy

Still Fresh
Me again...
Which is the best GB/GBC emulator for GP32?
And is there a good GBA emulator yet? If so which, and which games are playeble?

The best GBC emulator is Fgb32, which runs very well. For GBA emulation, we have a program that translates gba's arm 7 code to Gp32's Arm 9 which runs 3x the speed of gba so far, but only supports mode 3.

a static compilation for gba rom, interesting, but how they will solve code executed and loaded in gba internal ram ? that can break a lots of games

fGB for GB/GBC. There is no GBA emulator that allows you to play games at anything but < 1 fps, so just forget about it for now.

i wouldn't say that i trying chuchu rocket on it and it was barely playable. also if there was an option to get rid of the screen stretching it would speed up with minimum effort.

krousti posted on Apr 25 2004 at 08:34 AM said:
a static compilation for gba rom, interesting, but how they will solve code executed and loaded in gba internal ram ? that can break a lots of games
No compilation is used, the gba code is run directly with the help of the MMU to translate the gba hardware addresses into gp32 addresses. Even the bios can be switched to the gba bios very easily. So running things in ram is not a problem. Many of the things like the LCD are mapped to RAM in the gp32 instead, and emulated through a timer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not heard anything from enf65 for over a month now though. Some news on how his project is coming along would be excellent.

Squidge posted on Apr 25 2004 at 12:52 PM said:
pip posted on Apr 25 2004 at 11:04 AM said:
Not heard anything from enf65 for over a month now though. Some news on how his project is coming along would be excellent.
News is available on other forums, eg:

http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?sl=&s=33561&p=1

Make sure you can read french tho'
Well, I do check that site. And as I mentioned it was over a month ago he last posted there.

Personally, I feel that he is a little too worried about the legality issues of his emulator, he has already stated there that he wishes to rewrite the gba bios so no original Nintendo code is used, and was thinking of crippling the roms to reduce piracy or some sort. Maybe I don't understand him (I don't know much french, so quite possible), but thats the way it seems to be going.

Rewriting the bios is a good thing though, since copying it would be illegal. I agree on that he seems a bit too worried about legal issues but ThunderZ has calmed him down :)

To be honest, I'd be very suprised if we see a public emu from him that will play commercial games without restrictions.

Wolfsclaw posted on Apr 25 2004 at 01:15 PM said:
well that patent only is in usa, but enf65 is in france :)
Didn't Kyle Poole say that that doesn't matter? I remember reading about that on the CrimsonFire boards...

Azure posted on Apr 25 2004 at 10:43 PM said:
Didn't Kyle Poole say that that doesn't matter? I remember reading about that on the CrimsonFire boards...
Kyle lives in North American though.

Back