Best 'Creative' Games on the Pandora?

that's kind of a hard thing to nail down isn't it? are you looking for more of a sandbox game, god game or something else? I guess the 'lots of customization' is throwing me because that's the root of a lot of RPGs to begin with.

Maybe you can help me narrow it down :p are you looking for

1) Lots of Equipment Slots

2) Lots of Stats

3) No set Path

4) Lots of Side Quests

5) No Clear Goals and Objectives

6) User Generated Content

7) Other?

I can't say why... but the first Saga Frontier for PSX is coming to mind, as is Star Ocean for PSX. Both of these games are quite vast but in different ways.

How about Unlimited Adventures for DOSBox... that game has an insane community and number of mods that popped up around it.

Dungeon Hack on DOSBox... very customizable for how challenging or easy you want the game to be with tons of replay ability through randomly generated dungeons.

Shiren the Wanderer on SNES (with English Translation) is one of my go to games. It's a rogue like that is one of the best in my mind. It's tough as nails to get started, but as you learn the game (more about personal progress than character progress) it really opens up. There is also a vast amount of extra content/challenges to work through. Yeah the equipment choices are limited, but the way the inventory system is handled it really is a very pure rogue like.

Minecraft through Android? I mean my goodness there's tons of customization there.

I still haven't tried Fallout in DOSBox/QEMU yet, but somebody must have, and that games is pretty customizable and wide open to explore.

Have you found anything yet that meets your criteria? :)

I.e. There is a lot of customization involved. Ideally in the RPG or Sim genre?

If you like Simulators and RPG Stuff you should Higly consider the Visual Novels Ported to Pandora like Narcissu, Moonshine, Dont Take it Personaly babe It just aint your story, May Sky etc...

Oh and check the roguelikes!

Edit: I think that you should also Try Lugaru

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5K8CX5rKilk?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
^speaking of roguelikes, I can recommend POWDER. Every new game you start randomizes the effect of items you'll find depending on their preifx. For example a blue potion might be a healing one in your first game, in the next it could be acid. Or a glass wand could dig holes in walls, while next time it's a wand of summon monster! Hilarity ensues.

I'm still playing Front Mission III PSX on the Pandora, on and off. Good story, big mechs and demanding fights ala Final Fantasy Tactics. Customization through lots of mech parts, which you can gain by "crippling" other mechs and making them surrender, and a few different weapon systems.

Can't think of the title, maybe sombody here knows it, or somthing similar: Console 2D RP game where you can genetically manipulate the monsters you catch in order to create new ones, kind of like Spore, but it was there first. Anybody remember? Come to think of it, I think I actually played something similar in 3D on the PSX, you started out in some woods and it was JRPG stye... can't remember any more.

Let's see if I can bring up some more.

Maybe not as open ended as the games mentioned so far, but Shining Soul II on GameBoy Advance has several characters to play as, loads and LOADS of equipment to find, enemy cards to collect, not to mention random item drops with hidden items up the wazoo. My only gripe is that the dungeons are a bit small and are always the same. I did play it to death though, trying to find all the Sega Console random item drops!

Lol... I forgot I created this thread! ^_^

The game I had in mind was actually Spore... where the focus is user generated content *in game* - I.e. you don't have to use an external program to create original content.

I find making things highly addictive... Usually a game will only hold my interest so long as I can find new ways of putting things together. This is why RPGs are my prefered genre. I also have a soft spot for certain Tower Defense games where there are multiple ways to place a range of towers as well as the ability to modify the path (Example: Radiant Defense).

I'm quite fond of Fallout 3 as an example... I just wish it were easier to customize the 'look' of items/armor/certain npcs *in game* as opposed to making mods. - or the ability to make unique items / combine items together.

I've never actually played minecraft - even though I have the android version on my phone. I imagine it would be right up my alley?

A lot of good suggestions so far! Thanks everyone. :)

@kuru: I would be thrilled if you could remember the 2D RPG that has similarities to Spore...? Any idea which console it was for?

...is the 3D PSX one you're thinking of Monster Rancher 2? I haven't played it yet, but it looks like I would enjoy it a lot. :)

Monster Rancher can be oddly addictive, though I'm not quite sure how you'd easily do a CD swap for different music CDs for generating different random monsters.

I'm sure there must be something... but half the fun was the "I wonder what I'll get out of this horrible christmas CD" lol

Maybe kuru is talking about this one:

http://en.wikipedia....Search_for_Eden

Oh yes I've played that.... not very far I admit. I liked the concept, but after being spoiled with Spore, this game felt frustratingly linear and lacking in variation.

However, I don't think it's the game because:

you can genetically manipulate the monsters you catch in order to create new ones

Unless the game mechanics alter significantly from the parts I played.

I also have a soft spot for certain Tower Defense games where there are multiple ways to place a range of towers as well as the ability to modify the path (Example: Radiant Defense).

Have you tried my game Microbes ? It's on the repo but the latest beta release is here. I'm planning to submit an improved version to the new contest (assuming I'll find for that). It doesn't have fancy graphics like Radiant Defense, but I think the gameplay is quite interesting. It also comes with an in-game level editor and I encourage everyone to make some cool new levels - if you send them to me, I'll include them in the next release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back