Best Affordable Saturn Games

thecheat

butts lol
Website
Visit site
ok ok ok.
threads like this have been started, and i havent been here in a while so i dont know if this ones been done before... but does any one know of any good CHEAP saturn games? I have NiGHTS, and im gonna get VF2... but other than that, im at a loss. just got my saturn, $20 at gamecrazy... :D

Fighters Megamix is awesome. So is Virtua Cop 2. Fighting Force and Tomb Raider were both good games. There was also a Die Hard game kind of like a 3D Streets of Rage that was also pretty damn good.

Burning Rangers
Street Fighter Alpha II
Marvel Super Heroes etc (any of the 2D beat 'em ups)
Sonic-R

Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga cost £150 upwards though. :(

i borrowed my m8's saturn about 5 year's ago....
the only game i played on it was "shinning the holy arc"....
f$#kin' awsome game....if anyone has it...i'll pay.

shotaway posted on Feb 19 2004 at 07:52 PM said:
just found it on ebay £22.50 buy it now

Last edited by a moderator:
divadsci posted on Feb 19 2004 at 08:43 PM said:
shotaway posted on Feb 19 2004 at 07:52 PM said:
just found it on ebay £22.50 buy it now
i reda it gose for 50 quid in mint cond

thebluenewt posted on Feb 19 2004 at 08:38 PM said:
Efompor posted on Feb 19 2004 at 07:45 PM said:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is one of the best games ever and the superior version of it is on the Saturn
Ha ha, yeah right. Playstation version is better and in English.
hmm I didnt know it wasnt in english, but regardless I have the PSX version ad I always wanted the Saturn version because it had like 25 more monsters or something like that. AND you had the ability to play as Maria. Seems more developed to me, and by being so it is IMO superior

Efompor posted on Feb 19 2004 at 09:20 PM said:
hmm I didnt know it wasnt in english, but regardless I have the PSX version ad I always wanted the Saturn version because it had like 25 more monsters or something like that. AND you had the ability to play as Maria. Seems more developed to me, and by being so it is IMO superior
I have the Saturn version, it's a pain to play - I have to have a translation open on my PC at the same time!

As the Saturn isn't as powerful as the PSX the animation isn't as smooth either, still has the great soundtrack though!

thebluenewt posted on Feb 20 2004 at 12:59 AM said:
As the Saturn isn't as powerful as the PSX the animation isn't as smooth either
I haven't played this game. Is it 3D then as I always thought the Saturn was much better at 2D than the Playstation? I have both systems and still managed to miss this game! Doh me.

Tempest 2000 is a fantastic game and is usually quite cheap. Also, the original Tomb Raider is worth revisiting on the Saturn as it is still a great game and the controls seem better on the Saturn than they were on the Playstation.

Memnoch posted on Feb 20 2004 at 06:35 AM said:
I haven't played this game. Is it 3D then as I always thought the Saturn was much better at 2D than the Playstation? I have both systems and still managed to miss this game! Doh me.
Sega zealots always claimed that the Saturn was better at 2d but it's a lie.

I love 2d games though and the Saturn has some of the prettiest ones around because it's 3d was so bad, therefore I love it!

Oh, and the game is quite rare - £50 for the PSX version now.

thebluenewt posted on Feb 20 2004 at 02:11 PM said:
Sega zealots always claimed that the Saturn was better at 2d but it's a lie.
Its not a lie, i believe the saturn had more video memory which helped with the standard 2d beat em ups (which were always pretty grim on psx)

However the key comes from the ram cart expansions, SNK ports were superior on the saturn when played with the carts because of the extra ram given.
Short of playing on an actual neogeo games like metal slug and KOF were better on the saturn than any other console because of this, the psx imo always looked choppy on this sort of game.

Even when the two systems were competing, it was widely known that the 2d system on the saturn was better, it suffered on things like transparencies, most noticibly highlighted on the game wipeout, when driving with the inside viewpoint and collecting a shield power up, you could see how much better this was handled on the psx.

kjun posted on Feb 20 2004 at 04:45 PM said:
Its not a lie, i believe the saturn had more video memory which helped with the standard 2d beat em ups (which were always pretty grim on psx)

However the key comes from the ram cart expansions, SNK ports were superior on the saturn when played with the carts because of the extra ram given.
Short of playing on an actual neogeo games like metal slug and KOF were better on the saturn than any other console because of this, the psx imo always looked choppy on this sort of game.

Even when the two systems were competing, it was widely known that the 2d system on the saturn was better, it suffered on things like transparencies, most noticibly highlighted on the game wipeout, when driving with the inside viewpoint and collecting a shield power up, you could see how much better this was handled on the psx.
Ok, maybe not for games that use the extra ram (I've gotta get myself one of those 4MB carts). But Castlevania has less fancy effects than the PSX version...

It does have all these extras though:

(1) You can play as Richter Belmont from game's start. (2) You can play as Maria Renard, who didn't appear in Symphony as a playable character. (3) Richter and Maria have their own intros and endings. (4) Alucard's intro makes reference to "Ralph C. Belmondo" rather than his U.S.-named counterpart, Trevor Belmont. The rest of the intro is worded slightly different than the Playstation intro. (5) There are two new areas not seen in Symphony--the Cursed Prison and the Underground Garden. Each has its own theme. There are actually four new areas if you count the upside-down areas. (6) There are sixteen exclusive lesser enemies. (7) There are two extra bosses, one of which is located in one of the new areas. The other one is Maria. (8) Some enemies' death animations differ slightly, like the marionettes that are now pulled back to Hell. (9) Richter and Maria have their own themes that play when they run through the Castle Entrance. (10) The characters are more animated during conversations, like the Master Librarian who hides his face at the thought of helping an outsider. (11) There are more equippable weapons to be found. (12) The placement of relics is different. (13) Like the PS1 Japanese version, it has those two extra familiars: The "Sprite Familiar" and the "Tengu Goblin."

So if it was in English maybe it would be better!

Back