Halloween Retro Games "Playlist" - PSX and earlier

Prometheus

So, Halloween is a few weeks off, but for the fun of it, how about compiling a list of spooky/horror-themed games for the occasion? Let's keep it somewhat retro, and cap it at the N64/PlayStation/Saturn "era" at the latest, though. Any system up 'til then goes - it's all the better if the games can be emulated on whatever your console of choice is, of course. :p

A few I can think of off of the top of my head are;

Ghosts 'n' Goblins (Arcade)

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (Arcade)

Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (SNES)

Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo (C64)

Through the Trap Door (C64)

I know I'm forgetting a few tons of them, too.

As it happens I've been playing the NES version of Ghosts N' Goblins recently. It's scary 'cos you know that when you die you've got to listen to that tune while it shows you the map AGAIN.

I'll also add in Castlevania & Resident Evil.

Personal fav...

SPLATTERHOUSE

Bring forth the horror!

Diablo. I would play the PC version, but there's also the Playstation port if that's what it takes to float your boat.

Hexen would probably fit pretty well.

Demon's Crest

I only found Diablo to be spooky, but the others still fit with the occasion.

Alone in the Dark. Freaked me right out when I first played it. Granted I was 11 or 12 at the time.

mm, dunno if it's ok with the theme, but Doom II had always put me on a strange mood, back in the days :)

Mac

Pac Man, of course!

Haunted House (Atari 2600).

Castles of Doctor Creep.

Friday the 13th (the NES version is a real fright!)

Jack the Ripper text adventure on c64 - gruesome pics.

Clock Tower on SNES.

How about "Monster Bash"? Not scary (you play a kid in pajamas ffs) but fits the theme

bng5iss6x4k9kj0dm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That screenshot has just reminded me of another Halloween ish themed game I played on spectrum, but can't remember the name!

You played as a baby, dummy n all.

And was a platformer, used to scroll along and also upwards if I recall, some level was in the treetops, was a great game I need to hunt it down now.

I'm sure the load screen had your character, the baby, and a pumpkin to the right... PumpkinJack or something??

This will bug me now

Eversion

It's not really a retro game and doesn't satisfy "PSX and earlier". But it looks retro and deserves to be mentioned.

<edit>Don't read about it. Just play.</edit>

I just remembered another one;

Monster Party (NES)

It's not the greatest platformer in the world, but it's worth a look even if only for its very striking first level. :p (It's also interesting in that the Japanese version, which seemed to be a bit bloodier from the handful of screenshots that magazines published at the time, was never released.)

A true Halloween game I've got is "Jack Bros" for the virtual boy.

Yes, really.

It's the first MegaTen game to be officially translated into english, I believe.

And it's literally about Halloween. On Halloween, the Jack Brothers go play in the human world. But they lose track of time, and have to hurry back before the gates between the human world and fairy world close, and they're stuck there forever. Think 3D gauntlet, sort of.

I think it is the single most rare video game I own (7 on digitpress.com)

I haven't kept up on virtual boy emulators, though, so I don't know if there's one out there that could be ported to the pandora.

Cauldron - Spectrum

Evil dead - spectrum

Ghost hunters - Spectrum

Blood - pc

Castlevania series - various

Zombi - Amiga

Yo joe - Amiga

Realms of the haunting - pc

Personal nightmare - Amiga

Elivira 1 & 2 - Amiga

Waxwork - Amiga (Still the scariest game ever made! Gets a bit tricky in the Victorian level mind... )

Nightmare creatures - psx

Medievil - psx

Darkseed - Amiga

Bureau 13 - pc

Nice thread!

Nightmare in the Dark - Neo Geo

basically Snow Bros with a zombie/ghoul theme.

Heavy on the Magick - various computers

Side on Dungeon explorer with Occult overtones, demon invocation, werewolves, vampires, collecting human bones to raise a witch and a fiery pit of hell to be cast into if you annoy the demons too much!

Silent Hill 1 - PSX The sound is used so well in this game!

edit : Thought of another

Sorcery(+) - On Spectrum, C64, amstrad. Witches,ghosts and monsters vie to thwart your Wizard in his flight against the fading grimoire to rescue the wizards in time!

The first two that came to my mind were:

Chiller (C64)

13 Ghosts (TRS-80)

Also Toy Bizarre (C64)--although I don't remember if it has any Halloween theme, I recall it being somehow creepy in tone and feel.

Back