Beta Bennu Runtime

Stuckie

Website
www.stuckieworld.net
This is a quick port of the Bennu runtimes to the Pandora.
You can grab it here: http://www.stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/bgd-runtime.tar.gz

Not sure you can stick this into a PND... more likely you'd package it up with your game into a PND.

It's literally just the runtime and modules, so you'll need a game or something to make use of it.
I tested Danger Quest ( Wiz Version ) from the Bennu Projects list. It ran, but it was in a teeny window on the screen, and the controls were obviously not correct.

For reference, I used the following script to run it:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../bgd-runtime
export PATH=../bgd-runtime:$PATH

bgdi monster.dcb

Where it was obviously in the same folder as the rest of the game's data, and the runtime was in the folder above ( which is generally the norm for Bennu/Fenix games as far as I remember. )

Let me know how it goes :)

You should be able to scale using op_fbrunapp AFAIK. Not sure how to do that, though :)

Hi, are the source code from the port available ? What version from Bennu it is ?
It run a 70% slowly from another consoles. Please can you say more details from the port ? Now i have a Pandora, and i need to port some bennu games and support the Bennu engine on Pandora.

It was built using the latest source from their SVN at the time.

I didn't get any feedback as to how it ran or anything at the time, and I'm afraid I don't really have time to continue it at the moment... I was asked to do a quick port of it - so I did - and then they didn't use it, so had no idea if it worked or not.
I imagine there's been a lot of updates since then, so just compiling the latest source should probably get you a better runtime - it was just a literal recompile as far as I can remember.

I don't have the source any more, this was built almost a year ago now.
It was fairly trivial to build though, so I wouldn't expect you'd have any problems.

I didn't really get any feedback from this so I never kept up to date with things, I'm afraid... therefore I cannot offer any support for it.

The last version of Bennu it's no more compatible with the pandora port because the dcb's are not compatible beetween these versions.
It's unlucky, because the best remake made with bennu of all times: 'Street Of Rage Remake v5' is not playable on pandora because this, and the autor maybe not want to compile the game with a old and compatible version of Bennu for made the port...
Thanks anyway...

I might have another look at it over the week.. but I'll need someone to test it properly as I don't really know the language and I've enough to do at the moment :(

It would probably be a bit more useful now that more people have Pandoras to test it with, rather than last year when barely anyone did.

I made all the test you need don't worry :)
And please if you compile Bennu share the makefile and the config needed to do the compilation.
I'm a user active in Bennu forum and for the moment the only with a pandora in the group of the users most active in his comunity xD

And i'm sorry for the poor feedback you have last year, i try to do all i can for the sucess of Bennu on Pandora :)

I've just built the latest version, if you're still about I can post it up in the morning ( need sleep! )

I haven't tested it, only compiled it so far.. if you could point me to something to test it with, let me know :)

-edit-
Managed to test it this morning, seems to work ( on both Angstrom and my Debian releases, so double win! )
I tested using a game I was asked to test on the Caanoo, and other than it running in a window, and the button mapping being a bit off ( dpad works, but I'm assuming it's using keyboard keys rather than anything else, as Z/X were the action buttons in this instance. )

Anyway, you can find the runtime here: http://stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/bennu/bgd-runtime.20110420.tar.gz

Build Instructions:
The build script I used is: http://stuckiegamez.co.uk/apps/pandora/bennu/build-pandora.sh and uses sebt3's funky toolchain setup ( though slightly fiddled with a bit so that pndconfigure is a bit more global and accessible.. if you don't want to do that, just go into each folder and run pndconfigure first, then run the script to make and copy things about. )
Only out of place thing you have to do is build libdes and put it in your library path, and copy the mod* files into a data folder it seems... as my test game wouldn't find anything without doing that.

Run Instructions:
Extract the runtime somewhere ( folder/bgd-runtime, for example )
Extract a game somewhere ( folder/mygame, for example )
Then, just use a basic shell script like the above one, or quickly use:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../bgd-runtime:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ../bgd-runtime/bgdi ./MyGame.dcb
From your game's folder ( folder/mygame, in this instance ) and it should work.

I did a quick test with one game I was asked to test for the Caanoo and it seemed to work fine ( albeit in a window, and without proper button mapping - pretty sure it was using the default keyboard map as the controls ended up using the dpad, and Z/X on the keyboard as action buttons. )

Again, as with everything I do, this is a "quick dodgy hack" till some people test it.
Sadly, I don't actually use Bennu myself, and work's a bit mental at the moment as we're about to release something, so I can't fully test it myself.

If there's any issues, or a new version gets released or something, feel free to give me a prod.. I jump about projects quite a bit and generally do more than I should, so prodding me somehow is usually a good way to get my attention to stop things stagnating ;)

Where i can find the sebt3's funky toolchain setup ?

Please, in a next compilation label the zip with the current revision of Bennu and not with the date (this second release is the r244).

For the next release it's better you set a new os_id for pandora in the compilation (actually it's the same of linux port, os_id = 1),
by example: 1010 (the unofficial id's should start in number 1000, and the oficial ports in number 1)

Thanks a lot, with this release finally people can play SORR Remake on Pandora :lol:

Geca said:
Please, in a next compilation label the zip with the current revision of Bennu and not with the date (this second release is the r244).
Fair enough.. should Bennu get updated again, give me a prod and I'll do so :)

Geca said:
For the next release it's better you set a new os_id for pandora in the compilation (actually it's the same of linux port, os_id = 1),
by example: 1010 (the unofficial id's should start in number 1000, and the oficial ports in number 1)
Ah, wasn't aware of this.. also not sure what the main dev team want to do themselves in regards to dealing with the Pandora.
I've no problem recompiling it as a new release comes out.. in fact it's so trivially easy, there's a lot of people on these forums who could probably do it blind folded! So there's bound to be some support at least.. though again, if nothing happens, just prod me and I'll do it ;)

Geca said:
Thanks a lot, with this release finally people can play SORR Remake on Pandora :lol:
So I've noticed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For the current release is better you don't recompile it again, because some users can be used in the past the os_id = 1 for Pandora ports (i used that so if you change this, my old ports don't work, example of that is the game Hardcore Fight).

It's only for next ports of Bennu, but at the moment the pandora port is the last bennu version, so, for the moment it's not necessary do anything.

Anyway, i want to try to do the compilation when i got some time.

Thanks.

Geca said:
Hi Stuckie, we found the error, your distro file 'bgdc' it's a text wrapper to the real file (included on your PC), so I fixed the distro putting the old one from your old port (because the compiler don't have changes).

The download link at openhandhelds

BennuGD r244 (OpenPandora)

Thanks

Ah.. I wasn't actually ready to upload it to any file archive, as there were some things you highlighted that I should do for the next version which I was going to do and upload that properly.
However, if it works, fair enough.. I haven't heard one way or another that it doesn't work ( or does, for that matter.. other than randomly seeing the SORR port using it ) so I assume it's fine.

I'll mark down the bgdc thing as a gotcha for the next release too, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no reports of this fail because people at the moment no have yet compilated bennu code on pandora with the last port (or talking in public about that), in SORR and other games, we use the BGDI (interpreter), not the BGDC (compiler). And the interpreter is OK, but not the compiler (now is ok with the fix).

Anyway, Splinter is ultimating an update of Mode7 for Bennu, when Splinter finish that, it's a god moment to do an update for Pandora port, I will try to do that, to see if I can :)

Thanks.

Hi,

1 - I try to compile with your script, but I cant find the pndconfigure file!! Actually I use the build-unix, but It don't find the SDL 1.2.0

2 - Where you compile, in linux or in Pandora ?

3 - Where you put the dependencies like SDL or zlib ?

Thanks.

Back