Beginning A Zelda-style Rpg Game

kin said:
For 2D games on Pandora, what is the best for object orientated programming language?
python + pygame?

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
Wow, I hadn't thought of the thread syncing problem. I always had in my mind that each thread was its own independant entity and didn't rely on others, but actually that's not true.
Heh... Multithreaded code is SO much fun...

Edit: The locking issue should not occur for me - the only way I want the threads to communicate with each-other is via events, so that only the event buffer/list/thing is ever locked.

Bravo. You've got a decent design pattern going there. You can opt for using mutexes for this, but they're going to be slowish on some machines. I suggest if you don't have a proper locking scheme in hand to go fetch the current version of Hans Boehm's garbage collector and extract the libatomic-ops component out of it for providing a solid userspace locking method via the test-and-set atomic operation. The libatomic-ops stuff comes in two pieces, one BSDed, one GPLed. Avoid the GPLed memory and queue components and you can statically link the atomic piece into your code.

sinoth said:
Probably C++, using the SDL library.
C++ for the language, SDL is the current likely candidate for the app framework lib. If you don't like what SDL offers or how it offers it, if you're bold, you can most likely cross-compile ClanLib or Allegro with the SDK once it's fully gelled and produce .ipks for those.

Svartalf said:
I suggest if you don't have a proper locking scheme in hand to go fetch the current version of Hans Boehm's garbage collector and extract the libatomic-ops component out of it for providing a solid userspace locking method via the test-and-set atomic operation.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I appreciate the links, and will definitely prefer them for speed and portability! :)

I want to know how good graphics you are going for, I have thought up some EQ. I dont want to share my thoughts here though, half of that kind of game is the surprise when you find new relly cool EQ.

What does EQ stand for? I tried Googling it and got three different possibilities. :p

I am by no means an artist, so most, if not all, of any visual or audible art will be resources pulled in from external sources. I think any open-source developer would be thrilled to reach the kind of quality commercial games reach, but I'm pretty sure that would be very difficult, and would require some dedication that this game may not deserve in the end.

javaJake said:
What does EQ stand for? I tried Googling it and got three different possibilities. :p

I am by no means an artist, so most, if not all, of any visual or audible art will be resources pulled in from external sources. I think any open-source developer would be thrilled to reach the kind of quality commercial games reach, but I'm pretty sure that would be very difficult, and would require some dedication that this game may not deserve in the end.
with EQ I meant equipment. But I dont think it is an official acronym.

but you are maybe looking for the graphics of A link to the past? then I wonder how many pixels per square. I mean like when you are painting the whole thingy you do it squarewise, Im so bad at explaining, but many games are painted that way.

I think I want to go for the good ol' classic 8-bit feel with doubled or tripled pixels. I think what I end up doing will depend on what resources are available at the time I pull a bunch together.

As for "EQ", the storyline decides most of what that will be. :)

Back