Beebem For Gp2x Version 0.5 (bbc Micro Emulator)

Brilliant job! It's great to play the old games again on the gp2x. Any plans to add Master support? A game I wrote long ago needs the extra ram, ha.

Keep up the good work.

AdamC said:
Brilliant job! It's great to play the old games again on the gp2x. Any plans to add Master support? A game I wrote long ago needs the extra ram, ha.
This version of BeebEm doesn't have any code to support the Master - it was too slow for the GP2X. :(

:eek: Please tell me where your game is! I'd love to play it! :)

Gruntfuggly said:
Great news! Did you manage to fix the problem with multiple keys being pressed at the same time?
Afid said:
I did notice the multiple key problem is still there when trying to fly diagonally in Exile
Had a bit of a play this evening to try and fix the multiple keys problem. If this fixes it then it was a really simple bug (I suck etc)...

Anyway, here is a quick and dirty binary of the replacement beebem.gpe file. Please tell me if it fixes the bug.

I went a little wild playing about with the code and have hacked together a few more stick handlers. What do you think (see button mapping page)?

Edit: Devel snapshot that was here has now been replaced with version 0.5-1 (see messages below).

OK, must go now and wash the dishes... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Fru.T Bunn said:
This version of BeebEm doesn't have any code to support the Master - it was too slow for the GP2X. :(

:eek: Please tell me where your game is! I'd love to play it! :)

Ha, the game isn't really worth playing. Very small game. It only runs out of memory due to being poorly written :)

Is there any way of having alternative key functions in Beebem?
For example Dosbox and other emulators allow you to use shoulder buttons to 'shift' the key function.
This would be useful for games with lots of keys.

I'll try it out tonight! Thanks for all your hard work...

I would have seen this sooner, but have just moved house and am still waiting for phone/ broadband to be turned on :(

AWESOME! I've just been playing starship command and it's just like playing on the real machine! The keys definitely seem to be fixed. Also, the new diagonal stick configuration works a treat.

Great work Mr. Bunn!

A couple of observations - the sound seems to be a bit 'clicky' where I don't think it was before, and also, the new disc selection menu is excellent, but could you either allow joystick left/right to page up and down, and wrap round top to bottom?

Thanks again for this...

A couple of observations - the sound seems to be a bit 'clicky' where I don't think it was before

It's under sampling - probably because the changes make things run a bit slower now. Upping the MHZ will help. I've had a play and optimised some stuff a bit (there is still much that can be optimised, but it's not a priority). Hopefully the emulator should run as fast as it used to now. Let me know if the sound 'clicks' at 240Mhz though, as that'll probably be a bug (note: some 'sampled' sound isn't played correctly - GP2X just cant handle it yet).

and also, the new disc selection menu is excellent, but could you either allow joystick left/right to page up and down

Already does that with the shoulder buttons. (And it's only excellent if you don't look at the source code! I'm not proud of that mess...)

and wrap round top to bottom?

No worries, have added support for that.

OK, I've posted the production release for BeebEm 0.5-1 to the News section. But for those who don't want to wait for that thread to appear, you can grab it here:

http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/download/beebem05_1.zip
http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/download/beebem05_1.tar.gz

Fru.T Bunn said:
Afid said:
I would have seen this sooner, but have just moved house and am still waiting for phone/ broadband to be turned on :(
Hope the move went OK Afid.

Thanks Fru.T, the move went well although it does seem to be getting in the way of playing games and in fact testing your new emulator <_< I'm trying to learn to live without broadband because it could be another 2 weeks before they hook me up :angry:

Thanks for the new version and I'm glad the other guys could test it a bit for you. Do I detect from your last post there are problems with it? Will move onto the new thread now...

Back