A New Version Of Beebem!

antaresuk,

I've just tried swapping the Watford DFS ROM GP2X Beebem is currently using for the Acorn one. This should help compatibility a bit.

To swap it search for “dnfs.rom” in your Windows Beebem directory and copy it to beebem4/roms/ on the GP2X. You will need to rename it to "dnfs" (no file extention) on the GP2X. (Probably a good idea to backup the existing Watford file on the GP2X too!)

If you can't find it in Windows Beebem (it'll be there somewhere), then download my UNIX Beebem port from here:

http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/download/b...m-0.0.13.tar.gz

Extract the archive (you'll need WinRar or 7-Zip), and use this file: beebem-0.0.13/data/roms/bbc/dnfs.rom (don't forget to rename it to "dnfs" for the GP2X).

If you want to source the ROM from the Internet you need: Acorn DFS 0.90 or DNFS 1.20.

Hope this helps! But without seeing the disc image I can't be sure it's a ROM issue (but it probably is).

Edit: Forget to say, you can tell the ROM has changed by reseting the Beeb and the words "Watford Electrons" should now be "Acorn"!

Ok i did that, I now see Acorn DFS but the disk fault has changed, its now 1E. I tried moonbase alpha and that still works. Bizaare, this is using the disk image you emailed me

antaresuk said:
Ok i did that, I now see Acorn DFS but the disk fault has changed, its now 1E. I tried moonbase alpha and that still works. Bizaare, this is using the disk image you emailed me
I'm playing that disc image in GP2X Beebem as I type this! Works fine with either the Acorn ROM or the Watford ROM!

Does it say: "Disc fault 1E at 00/00"? And are you running Beebem with this game from a script rather than gmenu2x?

If so, you've probably entered the filename for the disc image wrong in the script, as that error message is given when you 'shift boot' the Beeb without a disc in the disc drive. If loading from a script, check the case of the filename.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fru.T Bunn said:
antaresuk said:
I'm playing that disc image in GP2X Beebem as I type this! Works fine with either the Acorn ROM or the Watford ROM!

Does it say: "Disc fault 1E at 00/00"? And are you running Beebem with this game from a script rather than gmenu2x?

If so, you've probably entered the filename for the disc image wrong in the script, as that error message is given when you 'shift boot' the Beeb without a disc in the disc drive. If loading from a script, check the case of the filename.

Yes i am running it from the script. You were right, it was 1e at 00/00 and it was a different case in the script file to the image. It works now :) thanks very much for your help, top man.

antaresuk said:
Yes i am running it from the script. You were right, it was 1e at 00/00 and it was a different case in the script file to the image. It works now :) thanks very much for your help, top man.
Glad you got it working! Just been having a few games, it's quite hard to play really isn't it!

Why not install gmenu2x? I don't think you have to boot into it, and it makes a nice file selector. (Must add an internal file selector to Beebem sometime...)

If I remember rightly there was another bomb type game where you had to move across a minefield. The intro started with two feet slowly walking across a minefield. I think there was a Specy version too. Can't remember the name though.

Edit: It's MINED-OUT! by Quicksilva

Fru.T Bunn said:
If I remember rightly there was another bomb type game where you had to move across a minefield. The intro started with two feet slowly walking across a minefield. I think there was a Specy version too. Can't remember the name though.

Edit: It's MINED-OUT! by Quicksilva
To this date, Mined-Out on the Electron is the only game my mother has ever really played. Happy days :)

critical said:
To this date, Mined-Out on the Electron is the only game my mother has ever really played. Happy days :)
:lol: Such a cool game! Had a few games early this morning! Can YOU rescue all the damsels? :)

Found it! My mum used to play this game all the time: Superior's Bouncer! :)

http://www.beebgames.com/screenshots/1/7.png

Fru.T Bunn said:
I've just tried swapping the Watford DFS ROM GP2X Beebem is currently using for the Acorn one. This should help compatibility a bit.
It does. I had a problem with BeebEm for Windows running the game 'Orbital'. The cause was traced to the Watform DFS ROM. Works fine with Acorn DFS.

oh and i'm glad you got the old gp2x back mr. bunn!

Back