Beebem For Gp2x Version 0.5 (bbc Micro Emulator)

frutbunn

Website
Visit site
gp2x_beebem05.png

After months and months of delays, a new version of BeebEm for GP2X (version 0.5) is finally released!

Changes:

* A "message box" + much more user feedback.
* Improved floppy disc emulation (8271 FDC from Windows BeebEm 3.5 ported over).
* Finally an internal file selector.
* The much needed save state support.
* An internal create blank disc option to make those data discs on the fly.
* And last but not least, many, many, other improvements and bug fixes.

http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/downloads/beebem05.tar.gz
http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/downloads/beebem05.zip

Enjoy!

Superb news! I've been patiently waiting for this for ages. Can't wait to try it out.
Thanks so much for continuing the development - to me this is the most important emulator of all :)

This was a much loved machine by many Britons and it's always nice to see an emulator with so much love and care given to it. Kudos!

Amazing! Can't say thanks enough!

Fru.T Bunn, is there much more planned/to do on this project?

thanks again

Gruntfuggly said:
Great news! Did you manage to fix the problem with multiple keys being pressed at the same time?

Looking forwards to trying this tonight...
I managed to try it out last night and was very impressed. Save state feature works brilliantly and the new selector is great.

I did notice the multiple key problem is still there when trying to fly diagonally in Exile and there is still a slight delay in the sound as well - but I can live with these problems. I'm just chuffed to get this update.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you got all the key combinations sorted out for Exile? I've been playing Cave Story continuously recently, and it strikes me how similar Exile is in certain ways...

Gruntfuggly said:
Have you got all the key combinations sorted out for Exile? I've been playing Cave Story continuously recently, and it strikes me how similar Exile is in certain ways...
I don't think i'm familiar with Cave Story. I'll check it out :)
Games like Exile and Elite are tricky because there are more keys required than the gp2x has avaliable. It's not too bad though as the virtual keyboard is handy enough for those infrequently needed keys.

2 bugs ive found

1 - Sometimes sound just stops working

2 - Save State crashes the GP2X when used on "The Life Of Repton"

apart from that im loving it

Meant to replay yesterday, but was way too busy!

Great news! Did you manage to fix the problem with multiple keys being pressed at the same time?

This seems to be a bug in the stick handling code. Didn't notice it before. I'll fix this soon.

there is still a slight delay in the sound as well

Can't fix this until I find a better way of timing things

1 - Sometimes sound just stops working

I don't know what courses that. :(

There are problems when reloading sideways RAM. I'll investigate.

is there much more planned/to do on this project?

I'll try and fix most of the bugs people find, but after that I want to take a break from BeebEm and maybe write a small game.

You've already done a great job on this - many thanks!

For your game, how about reimplementing a classic Beeb game , with enhancements, for the GP2X? Something like Freefall would be great :rolleyes: B) ...

Nice to see an emulator updated!

Mainly wanted to post to congratulate you on having such an amazing username. You should have an avatar to reflect it! ;)

Fru.T Bunn said:

There are problems when reloading sideways RAM. I'll investigate.
Save works if you save over another savefile. If you try to create a new save file thats when the crash happens

foleyjo said:
Save works if you save over another savefile. If you try to create a new save file thats when the crash happens
Must be a bug in the save-as text entry box. Can you duplicate the crash consistently? If so, please explain how you did it, and I'll try to duplicate it my end.

Fru.T Bunn said:
foleyjo said:
Must be a bug in the save-as text entry box. Can you duplicate the crash consistently? If so, please explain how you did it, and I'll try to duplicate it my end.

The game is The Life Of Repton the version I have is

"Repton 3 - The Life Of Repton(1986)(Superior){hTSTH}[bootfile].ssd"

Seems like the sound bug is related to reptons save state as well plus one other bug. Its the only game Im playng at the moment.

The save problem happens everytime with it. Basically you enter the menu, go to save state and then click the new file name option. The screen then shrinks and splits into 2 columns snd the system locks up.

The sound problem happens after using load state for the second time

If I use load state about 5 times i get a black screen and it locks up

foleyjo said:
"Repton 3 - The Life Of Repton(1986)(Superior){hTSTH}[bootfile].ssd"

It's the filename. Shorten it to "Repton 3 The Life Of Repton.ssd" for the moment. And I'll fix the bug(s) in the selector/save-as dialogs later.

Seems like the sound bug is related to reptons save state as well plus one other bug. Its the only game Im playng at the moment.

The sound distortion/stopping is a strange one that I have been unable to trace. It crashes SDL on exit too when it happens.

The save problem happens everytime with it. Basically you enter the menu, go to save state and then click the new file name option. The screen then shrinks and splits into 2 columns snd the system locks up.

The sound problem happens after using load state for the second time

If I use load state about 5 times i get a black screen and it locks up

It's sig faulting (Linux general protection fault). I'll investigate, but shortening the filename should work for now.
Edit: The black screen (random crash) is related to the sound problem. If the sound stops or starts to distort then quit BeebEm and reload it. If you continue to use BeebEm after the bug presents itself then things will just continue to go down hill anyway... :(

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Mainly wanted to post to congratulate you on having such an amazing username. You should have an avatar to reflect it! ;)
The second I get access to a scanner and a few copies of Viz I will! B)

Back