Beebem For Gp2x 0.5-1 (bbc Micro Emulator)

frutbunn

Website
Visit site
gp2x_beebem05_1.png

A new version of BeebEm that fixes bugs found in version 0.5 (as discovered so far):

* Multiple key-press keyboard bug fixed.
* File selector no longer crashes if the filename is too long.
* Sideways RAM save state bug fixed (Exile restores state correctly now).

New features:

* New GP2X stick handling options - see 'Change stick mode' on menu.
* File selection list now wraps round.
* Stick directions are now reversed in 'flipped' mode (as you would expect).
* Slight optimisation to audio - so hopefully it's as fast as it was in version 0.4.

The emulator itself (archived as both gunzip and zip):

http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/download/beebem05_1.zip
http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/download/beebem05_1.tar.gz

this looks really clear and easy to use is there any chance of you doing the same keyboard layout for the zx spectrum, i find the key board really hard to use ..thanks for any help....

fatdad: Hehe - that's what we used to say 20 years ago!

jegub: Thanks - I've just been refreshing my memory of what Podd can do! It'll be interesting to see what my kids make of it tomorrow...

fatdad said:
this looks really clear and easy to use is there any chance of you doing the same keyboard layout for the zx spectrum, i find the key board really hard to use ..thanks for any help....
The BBC had a different keyboard layout from the Speccy though ? Plus the Speccy didnt have function keys. The keyboard works fine, be strange if it was laid out different than the original Beeb

Last edited by a moderator:
More great news. This time I will definitely make time to test this out.
This is by far my favourite emulator for gp2x. Thanks a million for all your hard work, Fru. T :D
I'm particularly pleased about the multiple keys fix.

Did you ever sort out a donate button?

Finally had a go last night! Superb work, the multi keys fix is brilliant, makes the games really playable.

All this means I can carry on from my last Exile save from years ago and finally finish the game! Well, ill try anyway :)
Then I'm going to continue learning how to play Elite which I've always wanted to get into.

Massive thanks once again to all involved in this project. Drinks are on me :lol:

EDIT - Fru. T, in case you have a list of things for future development I have a v. small one for it. You misspell "Accept" as "Except" on the save changes confirmations. Pedantic I know, but it's a quick one should there be any more releases.

I don't think BBC version Elite is really going to be playable on the GP2X - you might be better off trying the NES version, although I've got a feeling it's broken on the GP2X. Was very good on the GP32 though...

Gruntfuggly said:
I don't think BBC version Elite is really going to be playable on the GP2X - you might be better off trying the NES version, although I've got a feeling it's broken on the GP2X. Was very good on the GP32 though...
You might be right but I did play it a bit when the first version of this emulator came out and was getting on OK with it. I think the multi keys and save additions will give me what I need to get somewhere with it.

Both Exile and Elite do have a massive amount of keys though. I guess it means they will never be as easy as with a keyboard.

For extra keys could we use combinations?
Such as using the left or right shoulder buttons to shift to another set of values?

I was wondering...

Does Firetrack work properly on this emulator and at full speed ?

Can you select the BBC Master version of the game with the additional levels and music ?

You'll be lucky! Firetrack barely worked on the BBC! That was a masterpeice of hackery... I miss the days when developers knew the machines inside out, and could squeeze the last few drops of performance out of them. I think that's what keeps me in the GP2X scene - seems to be the closest I can get to the old days...

Gruntfuggly said:
That's it - cheers! Now, is there any chance of getting tape support into Beebem? ;)
:lol: I have actually thought about adding it in the past! It's all Rooster's fault of course for drawing a 'tape' LED on the virtual keyboard!

Afid said:
Did you ever sort out a donate button?
I'll sort something out at some point!

Afid said:
All this means I can carry on from my last Exile save from years ago and finally finish the game! Well, ill try anyway :)
That may work, but assuming Exile needs to read from the disc drive again you will need to use the insert disc in drive 0 option on the menu to change the disc image to the correct path and then click save state to update it for the *.uef file. If BeebEm crashes, then use a hex editor to change the path in the *.uef file (but I think GP2X BeebEm will just warn you that the original disc image cannot be re-opened). I have tested cross BeebEm save states, so you may get lucky - however I have had a few issues... They are related to the bug I mentioned on the other thread, but the jury is still out on that one.

The source *.uef must also have been saved on a BBC B too, as that's all the GP2X can emulate.

I should know a bit about Exile I know, but never played it in the day. It's one of the games I really want to get into on the GP2X though.

Afid said:
EDIT - Fru. T, in case you have a list of things for future development I have a v. small one for it. You misspell "Accept" as "Except"

Will do! AS Level English sucks! ;-)

Macleod said:
For extra keys could we use combinations?
Such as using the left or right shoulder buttons to shift to another set of values?
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea. I'll investigate it at some point - but not for awhile, I want to do a small GP2X game!

WhizzBang said:
Great work. Would anybody like to share their keyboard configs?
Does anyone want to manage this? BeebEm can be shipped with keyboard configs, and if the filename is the same as the disc image will load them automatically.

gothic_hobbit said:
Does Firetrack work properly on this emulator and at full speed ?
Nope. But it's not a bug, the registers needed to handle the scrolling are not emulated correcly yet.

Gruntfuggly said:
That was a masterpeice of hackery... I miss the days when developers knew the machines inside out, and could squeeze the last few drops of performance out of them.
Wasn't Firetrack written by the mega-mighty Orlando?

Back