Beebem For Gp2x 0.6 (bbc Micro Emulator)

frutbunn

Website
Visit site
beebem06_screenshot.png

Edit: Link to download updated to version 0.6-1

http://beebem-unix.bbcmicro.com/downloads/beebem06-1.tar.gz

After many many delays, a new version of BeebEm for the GP2X is finally here!

New features:

* Better video emulation.
* Improved user interface.

Enjoy!

Fantastic! I needed an excuse to get the old gp2x out again, and it this is most definitely it!

Ive got a small problem

Ive got over a thousand BBC games on my SD card. However they all have really long filenames. (with the format Game,publisher,year.extension).

With this new version it tells me that they are too long and I cant load any.

Is it possible to get rid of this limit on the filename length or is there a program I can use that will quickly and easily cut the filenames down to size

foleyjo said:
Is it possible to get rid of this limit on the filename length

I'll try and fix this problem over the weekend. (I should have really removed this restriction for 0.6 anyway...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fru.T Bunn said:
foleyjo said:

I'll try and fix this problem over the weekend. (I should have really removed this restriction for 0.6 anyway...)
Thanks. I love this emulator. The Acorn Electron was my first computer and most of the games are the same on the BBC

Great update to a great emulator - I would also be interested in knowing if there are any plans to port to pandora

Nice one, Mr. Bunn. Looking very good now.

snurty said:
Great update to a great emulator - I would also be interested in knowing if there are any plans to port to pandora
Of course it will get ported. There are no barriers at all to that beyond the hardware not being available yet.

Fru - are you going to get one? I have been playing with the beagleboard iin order to quell my impatience :)

Fru.T Bunn said:
foleyjo said:

OK, I've updated the file selector, so hopefully BeebEm will allow any filename length:

critical said:
snurty said:
Of course it will get ported. There are no barriers at all to that beyond the hardware not being available yet.

As Critical said.

critical said:
Fru - are you going to get one? I have been playing with the beagleboard iin order to quell my impatience :)
Definitely! :pandora1: = :wub:

I was discussing the beagleboard with someone at work on Friday. I sooo want one of those! :)

Great news.... This is the killer emulator. I'm already looking forward to beebem on the Pandora.

Wiz anyone?

Beebem on Pandora will be a lot more useable than on the GP2X. Especially the educational BBC software, there's a lot question/answer software for the BBC that really depends on a keyboard.

Would be great to see it on the Pandora.

Good point. The keyboard will also be so useful for games like Elite and Exile with their many keys.

I only tried the new version last night, and it's amazing. It seems full speed, no delay on sound any more and no problems with using multiple keys at once. A really polished product. Thanks again.

The only problem found so far was with the original Boffin. It now displays most of the screen (kind of a long letterbox type strip) but not all... and not Bofffin himself. Must be a weird screen mode or something. Boffin2 works perfectly. Has anyone else managed to get it working?

Afid said:
The only problem found so far was with the original Boffin. It now displays most of the screen (kind of a long letterbox type strip) but not all... and not Bofffin himself. Must be a weird screen mode or something. Boffin2 works perfectly. Has anyone else managed to get it working?
Just tried Boffin on the GP2X. It's using a very strange screen resolution. It's wider than 320 pixels - which is the widest screen size I catered for in the video emulation!

If you move Boffin right a bit, then move left and jump, he appears on the screen. Don't know how playable that is though.

It is possible get this working on the GP2X (with a special 'Boffin only' video mode), but unfortunately, I can't fix anything at the moment as my laptop (with the OPEN2X toolchain on it) has died. Once I've got a Linux machine up and running, I'll take a look at it, but it won't be for awhile. :(

Fru.T Bunn said:
OK, I've updated the file selector, so hopefully BeebEm will allow any filename length:

i finally got round to trying this and its great thanks a lot.

One problem I've found is that in some games I cant use 2 button presses. For example in strykers run I cant fly and shoot as I need to hold up while pressing fire. I also cant jump diagnolly as I need to press up and left at the same time.
Not sure if this is down to the emulator or something to do with my key layout. I'm using the arrow keys and space

I really REALLY hope that a Pandora port is still likely - can't wait to put a BBC Micro with my full library of BBC softwar ein my shirt pocket... :D

Back