Beauty competition.

The logo feels like some pigeon shit on my gorgeous, infinite like, all dark black precious Pyra. I don't know if I can live with it.

I really don't see the issue any more.
I don't like the silver that much but if it's really only 300€ for a different color then why not make an other one on my own?
If enough people are willing to join why not give it a try.

And by the way, on the video the logo does look much better on the black case as it does on the photos.
I can live with it. It doesn't look worse than on the chrome version for me.

I don't like the silver that much but if it's really only 300€ for a different color then why not make an other one on my own?

And by the way, on the video the logo does look much better on the black case as it does on the photos.
I can live with it. It doesn't look worse than on the chrome version for me.
I suppose the issue would be further delay to the community actually receiving their Pyra

I suppose the issue would be further delay to the community actually receiving their Pyra

Not now.
Later, when the Pyra is out already.
When I have time and if the logo concerns me and others so much that I might give it a try.
There is not much to lose and it would be a nice learning experience for me to organize such a thing on my own.

Why not just paint it yourself once you’ve received it?
Might do that but I'd have to find a good paint.

Water-Resistant black pen.
Or black self-adhesive tape.
Might do that. The last time I used a tape or a pen like that on a device, it rubbed off in a few months.
The Pyra being an all day every day device I'd rather have something sturdy.

I don't know if removing the silver plate leave hard to remove glue or damage the plastic.
Also I never sold or shipped anything on the internet and there is some peculiar things like tax so it's a lot to handle. I might do it but not soon.
Or I'd have to ask ED if he could manage it.

So let's see if there is some interest first. Should I make a thread with a poll?

If you'd like to buy a logo plate in a Dark Color, like Dark Grey or Black to match the Black Case (or the Grey one), which would cost 10 EUR or less, Like this post.

Last edited:
I don't know if removing the silver plate leave hard to remove glue or damage the plastic.

You would have to buy an other lid with the new logo, not remove the old one.

But on the video it really does not look that bad.
I won't complain about it any more.

It's just that I think an other color might look better and I might give it a try.
Just for the fun of making such a thing.

I always say: Functionality first, look second
(Release even before functionality ;) )

You would have to buy an other lid with the new logo, not remove the old one.
According to ED:
If you want some in your own color, I can tell you the company, I can give you the design file and you can produce your own custom-made logo there.

But on the video it really does not look that bad.
I won't complain about it any more.

It's just that I think an other color might look better and I might give it a try.
Just for the fun of making such a thing.

I always say: Functionality first, look second
(Release even before functionality ;) )
I'm not here to convince people I just thought that I had to say something since I have the opportunity.
If enough people would just ask for a dark color plate since it's better, instead of taking my viewpoint as an attack on the forum, maybe we could have the best color.
We could have a professional handheld with an edge, instead of a Nintendo DS with a tattoo sticker on the back.

After watching the video... I'm tied. So here's an open list !

Black Pyra

Pros :
- Professional, sharp looking, like a shrinked ThinkPad. And we know Linux users love those.
- Logo plate stands out more due to higher contrast.
- A little less reflective in luminosity, so the screen might stand out a bit better.

Cons :
- Looks like just another device. Being the lowest common denominator, it's the spaghetti of colors.
- Black does not go with everything. It's just less clashing, it doesn't make it look any better.
- Higher contrast also means eyes will be drawn to the logo plate. Let's face it : while we are emotionally attached to this logo, the Pandora one aged much better (yet the font did not). It is not exactly bland-looking, so expect people not to like it as much as we do.

Chromium Pyra (because we don't want no Google here ! :p)

Pros :
- Different look, more suited to a premium device, you don't want it to be confused with a cheap chinese knock-off. Higher perceived value helps sell at a non-competitive price point (because we just can't).
- Logo plate looks less out-of-place, light grey and dark grey go quite well together. Also when the LEDs are off, the low contrast between the translucent and solid parts is much less jarring.
- A metallic color could help make it look sturdy. And it is.

Cons :
- Less understated. People don't like standing out in the crowd much, and Pyra users might already stand out by quite a margin, especially if they use it as a phone.
- The screen might have a bit less perceived contrast.

If I got it right, the buttons won't be coated so we have some black anyhow. If we get one color only, is it feasible to have the screens bezels in black anyway ? I don't think it would look out of place with black nubs, even with the hinge part on the bottom. Of course we might need a picture to help decide ;)

Chromium Pyra (because we don't want no Google here ! :p)

Finally someone who shares the same thought with me.

I'm not here to convince people I just thought that I had to say something since I have the opportunity.
If enough people would just ask for a dark color plate since it's better, instead of taking my viewpoint as an attack on the forum, maybe we could have the best color.
We could have a professional handheld with an edge, instead of a Nintendo DS with a tattoo sticker on the back.

I know and I don't like it either.
But EvilDragon has had so much work and trouble with the Pyra already and we should not bother him with such details right now.
After release we can tweak the design any time :)

- Looks like just another device. Being the lowest common denominator, it's the spaghetti of colors.
- Black does not go with everything. It's just less clashing, it doesn't make it look any better.

I would love to have the dark red option instead the chromium one.
This would be something special.
Black and dark red.
Or chromium and dark red.
Both black and chromium are "non-special" colors.
The Pyra is even advertised here with red color and black shoulder buttons.
That looks soooo good (for me).
Why not go with a "neutral" color (black or chromium) and a "Pyra color"?

I just realised. We're arguing and discussing colors again. Of. Final. Units.

Pffft you young folks don't know what arguing is. Back in my day we had a little thing called the keyboard wars, they got so bad at one point that 13 aliens had to place the city of Ingolstadt into a pocket universe for it's own safety. Now get off my lawn.

:p I think the release of the pyra will brighten up many folks here.

But to derail even more, I managed to break my sd cards while holding them to long in my wallet, does anyone know if and where you can by spare plastic sd-cases that hold the chip...? This chips and its contact points are intact but it just the plastic outer casing that broke.
Also and additionally, how should you format your sd card before putting the pandora image to the root directory, trying to revive the old pandora, just solderd the right nub back on and I get to the boot menu but I miss the boot from SD option with an sd present in the left sd-slot.

we had a little thing called the keyboard wars, they got so bad at one point that 13 aliens had to place the city of Ingolstadt into a pocket universe for it's own safety. Now get off my lawn.

Feel free to bring up a keyboard discussion again here. If you dare. (Or fite ED irl ;))

Feel free to bring up a keyboard discussion again here. If you dare.

I propose that we change the design of the keyboard to the one in the following picture. Because by doing so people will no longer forget where they have put their keys, which will save them years of wasted time per month.

il_570xN.1377115339_273p.jpg

I propose that we change the design of the keyboard to the one in the following picture. Because by doing so people will no longer forget where they have put their keys, which will save them years of wasted time per month.
Not for me, thanks. My keyring is on my door handle, on my belt loop, or - if the weather says proper jacket - in my left breast pocket.

Why would that be?
Because there are many pieces of plastics in a case assembly set (battery door, base, stylus clip, stylus, keyboard surround (top of bottom), inner lid, outer lid, translucent logo, vinyl logo holder sticker). If every order had the option to 'customize' every piece of this, the production line would move at a -crawl- as the assembler would have to pick pieces out of bins specific to every order. A far better option would be to buy a Pyra and a spare case of the other color and then make your own mix and mash Pyra.

Right now I fear that ED has already got too much production variation going on.
2GB / 4GB
4G / not
Black / Chrome
2*2*2 = 8 variants to track through assembly already.

A single additional cosmetic 'option' such as a different colored vinyl sticker for the vinyl logo holder sticker would result in 16 variants to track through assembly.
Options to pick one color or the other for the main case plastics colors with two choices would potentially be upwards of 2^12 = 4096 variants to track. Assembly would then have to be 'bespoke' for every order causing the labor time (and costs) to skyrocket.

That is why.

Back