Beat2x V0.5

PokeParadox posted on Aug 20 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
Well I've used this, and unfortunately miq... it's good but not great yet...

You have to take your foot off an arrow before pressing another one. This isn't a problem when you play with the GP2X or a PS2 controller... but on a mat, you need to be able to keep a foot where it is, and only move the nearest foot to hit the arrows.

This basically means allowing 2 buttons to be pressed at the same time.

But this definitely shows promise. :)

And I may take a vid of me playing...

Ohh... hope this can be fixed until Monday evening, as I wanted to make a Plasma / DanceMat / Beat2x-Session at the Games Convention.
Shouldn't be hard to fix, though...

Last edited:
PokeParadox posted on Aug 20 2006 at 12:23 PM said:
You have to take your foot off an arrow before pressing another one. This isn't a problem when you play with the GP2X or a PS2 controller... but on a mat, you need to be able to keep a foot where it is, and only move the nearest foot to hit the arrows.

This basically means allowing 2 buttons to be pressed at the same time.
Thanks for the feedback, PokeParadox. Didn't think about this but you're right. Right now Beat2X doesn't allow more than one simultaneous button presses.

EvilDragon posted on Aug 20 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
Ohh... hope this can be fixed until Monday evening, as I wanted to make a Plasma / DanceMat / Beat2x-Session at the Games Convention.
Monday evening meaning... tomorrow evening??? :blink: Well that's about one day... I'll try to take a look at it but I haven't got time until tonight. I'll let you know. But can't you show it anyway telling the people that it's a prototype of what's coming next? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could only count the PRESSING of the button, and discard completely the RELEASE of it.

I'm in the dark with regards to how sdl handles imput but I think this might be the solution (if the press and release events are separated)

miq01 posted on Aug 20 2006 at 03:09 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 20 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
Monday evening meaning... tomorrow evening??? :blink: Well that's about one day... I'll try to take a look at it but I haven't got time until tonight. I'll let you know. But can't you show it anyway telling the people that it's a prototype of what's coming next? :)

Don't worry, I'll surely do that :)
A hardcoded version for me would also be enough, don't care about settings, etc.

Last edited:
[/quote]
Phalex.jpg

Is this close enough? :D
[/quote]

It's close enough, and hilarious. I can defenitely see myself trying that!

Zenzuke posted on Aug 20 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
Maybe you could only count the PRESSING of the button, and discard completely the RELEASE of it.

I'm in the dark with regards to how sdl handles imput but I think this might be the solution (if the press and release events are separated)
Hey Zenzuke... :) Yes, with SDL you can detect both presses and releases, and the way Beat2X has worked up until now is by detecting button presses only with some tricky stuff happening when an arrow is coming (sorry, it's a bit late to go into the details and to write it in english properly... :p).

I've discovered that input handling is the part I hate most when programming a videogame. I used to blame on SDL, but it's me, not the library. I kind of get lost keeping track of presses and releases between loop iterations.

EvilDragon posted on Aug 20 2006 at 05:02 PM said:
A hardcoded version for me would also be enough, don't care about settings, etc.
Well, I've been trying to change the behaviour of Beat2X so that it allows pressing more than one button at the same time, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be because of how it is coded now. Not specially complex, but it definitely is going to take some days to change it (as I said before, I don't have much time to code in my spare time). Anyway, I hope we can see pictures from the event and specially from Beat2X being played with a dancemat... :)

miq01 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 03:45 AM said:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 20 2006 at 05:02 PM said:
Well, I've been trying to change the behaviour of Beat2X so that it allows pressing more than one button at the same time, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be because of how it is coded now. Not specially complex, but it definitely is going to take some days to change it (as I said before, I don't have much time to code in my spare time). Anyway, I hope we can see pictures from the event and specially from Beat2X being played with a dancemat... :)

Well, just tried playing it without that change... merely impossible. There are lots of arrow combinations you can't do, as you need to jump from one foot to the other so that you don't push two buttons at a time...

I've got internet access there, so as soon as you manage to find some time, just send it to EvilDragon@gp2x.de, and I'll start using the dancemat :)

Thanks a bunch!!! :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 21 2006 at 10:30 AM said:
Well, just tried playing it without that change... merely impossible. There are lots of arrow combinations you can't do, as you need to jump from one foot to the other so that you don't push two buttons at a time...

I've played it using my dance pad and it works fine, you only have to pass to the center between each arrow...

Puck2099 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 10:33 AM said:

I've played it using my dance pad and it works fine, you only have to pass to the center between each arrow...

I know :) But if you have four arrows within 1 second pointing in different directions, you're really having trouble moving to the center that fast... at least I have ;)

Last edited:
Oh My god, you're kidding! A dance program for the GP2X that I can plug my Dance mat into? It looks soo much like Dancing Stage Fever :) . I have definitely got to buy a GP2X now....

Puck2099 posted on Aug 21 2006 at 09:33 AM said:

It's not just that... if you have been playing these sorts of games for any length of time... you get to a style of playing where you only move your feet when you need to. It is hard to adapt back from this, when it's almost as embedded into your head as instinct.

(I hope that makes sense.)

@PokeParadox':
Yes, I think it makes sense. For example, if there's a LEFT ARROW followed by an UP ARROW it seems easier to put your left foot on the left one and then (without changing its position) your right foot to the upper one.

@EvilDragon:
I'm changing some code right now and ^MiSaTo^, Puck2099 and I will talk on IRC and will try to solve it tonight.

@jlong:
No, there's no video support.

@WarmFluffyUK:
Yes. Well, sort of (check PokeParadox messages). Still, it works with the console buttons.

Well I have recorded some videos of this in action.. I'm trying to upload them now (I'm on dial up currently... ick!) The first one is just a quick scan over what the setup is, and then I shot a gameplay video.

I'll edit this post once they are uploaded. :) (Hopefully if they upload before 6PM here...)
In anycase they will be on Youtube with my psx4gp2x videos...

My YouTube page
My Beat2X Setup
Beat2x Gameplay

Yes.. it's not how I'm used to playing... to hit some of the arrows you have throw your weight around since you are balencing in the wrong way. :)

Good luck with fixing the button issue! :)

EDIT: O_O I was put on the front page of gp32spain.com ... ha ha

LOL. Nice poke. I still love your blumchen songs you made for stepmania. Beat2x is turning out really nice. If only it allowed USB pads from the USB port as well.

Back