battery out of juice in the evening :(

thanks, I'll keep an eye on this.

Also I have a second battery in refrigerator, and I doubt that TWO will be bad. So let's say that after collecting some statistics with this one, I'll switch to second one. Then we will know if the battery was faulty or some circuits in pandora.

EDIT: hmm.. maybe I will just configure rrd for that...

how can I check battery status in terminal? I would feed the output to rrd.

Last edited by a moderator:
/sys/class/power_supply/bq27500-0/*

capacity and time_to_empty_avg are the two property files you are looking for. Just cat them.

capacity and time_to_empty_avg are the two property files you are looking for. Just cat them.

first I had to 'opkg install cron' fortunately this worked. (I'm surprised how incomplete is Angstrom repository! so many apps are missing!)

ok, I configured cron to cat those two files into a text file (plus `date +%s` info), and I made a gnuplot script to plot this. After a week or so we will have some info about that. Then I will switch to fresh battery, and then we will be able to compare two plots.

first I had to 'opkg install cron' fortunately this worked. (I'm surprised how incomplete is Angstrom repository! so many apps are missing!)

ok, I configured cron to cat those two files into a text file (plus `date +%s` info), and I made a gnuplot script to plot this. After a week or so we will have some info about that. Then I will switch to fresh battery, and then we will be able to compare two plots.

You might want to use anacron as your crons may not run assuming your pandora is not always on. Not sure if it's in the angstrom repo though. My battery once got very hot when trickle charging, I would definitely advise against it from my experience. I can also concur with WizardStan's expectation of a 2% overnight loss in battery power. I also keep a spare battery in the fridge (originally charged to about 40%)!

You might want to use anacron as your crons may not run assuming your pandora is not always on. Not sure if it's in the angstrom repo though. My battery once got very hot when trickle charging, I would definitely advise against it from my experience. I can also concur with WizardStan's expectation of a 2% overnight loss in battery power. I also keep a spare battery in the fridge (originally charged to about 40%)!

cron works good here. I get all needed data, today again battery was out of juice for evening ride home by bus. This time I have everything recorded on plots. But too tired right now, so I'll post it later.

What is trickle charging? Is it an overnight charging?

- Trickle charging, or float charging, means charging a battery at a similar rate as its self-discharging rate, thus maintaining a full capacity battery.

- A reduced rate of charge usually described as the battery capacity divided by 10. This small amount of trickle current allows cells to equalize after their fast charge cycle has been completed.

- With the trickle charging process, the battery receives a constant voltage feeding a low current. Constant use of this method dries the electrolyte and corrodes the plate, reducing potential battery service life by up to 50 percent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickle_charging

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Trickle+charging&tbs=dfn:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=iqzRTZndBIPRrQf8spWiCQ&ved=0CCQQkQ4&biw=1366&bih=653

Back