battery out of juice in the evening :(

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Hi,

today morning I unplugged fully charged pandora, as usual. I commute about 1h to work, so I was using pandora of course during that time. When I arrived, I closed the lid, but forgot to snooze, or turn off. When I was going back home, about 9 hours later - pandora battery was showing 1h22 left. But I only managed to get on irc, chatted a little on our irc channel, and suddenly pandora shut down. That was max 15 minutes. I tried to turn it on afterwards, but right after desktop appeared it was immediately shutting down, and I saw 0% battery left.

How come this prediction 1h22 minutes remaining?

How come pandora with closed lid (LCD off) could not survive 9h waiting on the desk?

How to configure some shutting down, after 1h hour of inactivity?

any hints about daily pandora usage vs. good dealing with battery?

In the morning when you "unplugged fully charged pandora", did you check the % of the charge, because due to the connectors of the batter to Pandora sometimes it doesn't seat properly and thus doesn't charge properly.

I suggest you take your battery out and leave it out for a good 30 mins or so and then put is back in, from left side first.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the morning when you "unplugged fully charged pandora", did you check the % of the charge, because due to the connectors of the batter to Pandora sometimes it doesn't seat properly and thus doesn't charge properly.
In the bus I remember it was 10h30 or something. I don't remember percentage. Maybe 92% or something like that.

I suggest you take your battery out and leave it out for a good 30 mins or so and then put is back in, from left side first.
what do you mean?

WAIT!!!

Don't leave it on charge for more than 5 hours!!!
oops. I already took it off. by "wait" you mean - don't take it off now? it reached 52% before I took it off. And in only 1 hour it reached 52%.

I normally leave it overnight for charging. Is that bad - I have to wake up in the middle of the night to stop charging?

EDIT: btw, I still have a second battery, in the fridge, never used.

Oh, sorry I misread your previous post as, "I'm taking off now", as in you're going out somewhere...so ignore, "WAIT" post, lol.

Try not to leave it charging for more that 5 hours.

Hmmmm...a second battery...very useful.

I got scared :)

Oh, sorry I misread your previous post as, "I'm taking off now", as in you're going out somewhere...so ignore, "WAIT" post, lol.

Try not to leave it charging for more that 5 hours.

Hmmmm...a second battery...very useful.

isn't there some built-in protection against overcharging or sth like that?

It's difficult to sleep less than 5 hours... well sometimes I have to wake up early, but I don't want to do that daily for pandora battery :)

And usually I don't charge during the day..

I saw that someone wrote a software for optimized charging, does it work? should I use that?

What I do is I charge my Pandora in the afternoons. I unplug when I go to bed or when it fills, whichever happens first.

I've just put the battery back in.. and it's at 80% ??

pandora is unplugged now. But right before I took battery off it was 52%.

what's going on?

EDIT: I turnd off pandora, took off battery again, and inserted again, trying to get those connectors to connect as much as possible. And now it's 78%. I will start charging now.

No need to leave it out for 30 minutes.

If it's not properly seated, it's enough to remove it for a few seconds.

A battery that has a different percentage of charging after you remove and reinsert it was most probably not seated properly.

A battery that has a different percentage of charging after you remove and reinsert it was most probably not seated properly.
thanks, what about overnight charging?

I'll check if xfce has an option somewhere to automatically shutdown after 1h of inactivity.

sony - it was 34 minutes, check again :)

EDIT: ED - maybe you can change those connectors a bit in 2nd batch, so they will connect better?

thanks, what about overnight charging?

It depends. Some units don't switch off charging, that's what will be fixed with HF6.

However, the battery itself has an overcharging protection, so it won't go boom right away, but you might reduce the life span if you charge for too long.

I am charging my unit pretty often over night and didn't have an issue yet.

I'll check if xfce has an option somewhere to automatically shutdown after 1h of inactivity.

Won't help, as long as the Pandora is connected to AC, it will simply reboot.

EDIT: ED - maybe you can change those connectors a bit in 2nd batch, so they will connect better?

Actually, there was a small piece of plastic in the case the made sure the battery was aligned properly... unfortunately, that was removed somehow without us even knowing... yay.

Another reason to try to move case production to UK as soon as we can afford that.

Won't help, as long as the Pandora is connected to AC, it will simply reboot.

I had in mind something else: when I leave powered on pandora on my desk at work, unplugged, and forget to turn it off - I would like it to turn off automatically after 1h of inactivity. That way, when I'm going back home - it will still have some juice to use in the bus.

The story continues: I stayed up late yesterday night, and about 2am battery was charged 100% so I unplugged it and turned off, then I went to sleep. Now in the morning I picked it and use it now in the bus, but battery was 88%, how come a powered off pandora unplugged, just lying on the desk overnight decreased from 100% to 88%? Maybe the battery driver in kernel reads it wrong? Pandora wasn't moving during the night so I don't think that batteries would lose their contact.

EDIT: I'll try to add a sheet of paper between battery and the lid, to improve contact, when I get to work (I'm still in the bus)

any hints about daily pandora usage vs. good dealing with battery?
You are removing/installing the battery more than once during your testing, i would like you to remind to install the battery into the switched off pandora only. Which is done by removing the AC adapter during installation.

yes, I always make sure that it is unplugged from charger, and switched off.

And so I tried adding a small sheet of paper behind the battery, folded once.

When I arrived at work, battery was around 72%, after adding sheet of paper - still 72%. Pandora was then sitting on my desk turned off for about 2 hours, now I pick it up and power on to write this forum post. Battery is still 72%, but I noticed that due to this small sheet of paper the battery compartment bulges out a little bit. I don't like this, so I have just now removed this sheet of paper. Afterwards I powered pandora on, and now - battery indicator shows 76% ??

Recall that when charging was finished 2am in the night it was 100%, turned off, then 88% in the morning.

I'm not worried much, just to let you know. Or maybe something needs fixing or debugging.

There is definitely something fishy going on. I had my Pandora running with wifi on, lid usually closed but periodically opening it to surf the web and check in on IRC, and it lasted for over 10 hours and still had enough juice for the bus ride home.

Dropping 12% overnight while off is also bizarre. It should be at most 1 or 2%, while off it should last a couple of months, just drawing enough juice to keep the clock ticking. You wouldn't be the first person to have such a problem, but unfortunately it's erratic and not-reproducible so hard to fix. All I can say is try again and see if it keeps doing it.

I wouldn't worry about the case bulging a little. My battery is slightly bigger than others, I've found (it's not puffed, it's just a mm thicker than another one) resulting in the lid being slightly bulged out, and it's been that way since I got it: no stress cracks or anything around it.

Back