Pandora has stopped working

almosthere

Still Fresh
No matter what I do, it just won't turn on anymore. It shows no sign of life whatsoever.

A fellow member experienced similar problems, but in my case all LEDs are out.

http://boards.openpa...rn-on-any-more/

I unplugged the Pandora, removed the battery, waited 10 minutes, placed the battery back and plugged in the charger. Fruitless. I tried again with and without the battery, still nothing. Played with the power switch and the pandora button, also no response.

If I remember right, I left the Pandora in 'suspended' state and since it was unplugged, the battery must have went dead beyond ressurection. But technically the Pandora should turn on without the battery if it's plugged in, right?

Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

PS How does the whole RMA process work? Are there any documents that explain where to ship it, what to include in the shipment, etc. Obviously I just have to send my broken unit to either Craig or ED, but I just need to make sure beyond a doubt. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew the possibility that this happens in suspend mode would cause problems... We would need a workaround for this.

You can try to plug the charger in and wait an hour or so. Maybe it will startup by itself then.

USB charging wont make it. you need a wall plug and wait an hour or so.

Also do you have a way to test your charger ?

It's been plugged in the wall for several hours already. Give me a moment, I think I've found a way to test the charger.

Edit: I dug up an old external harddrive and the charger works perfectly.

if the wall charger does provide power, then contact your seller via PM (be it craigx, ED or link depending on the shop you buy your pandora in the first place) to get your RMA procedure

Thank you for answering so quickly guys.

Edit: One last thing, I got my unit from the UK according to the invoice paper, but there aren't any names mentioned on it. Is it safe to assume that I received my Pandora from Craigix?

You connected your harddisk to the Wall charger?

Is that an USB-Wall charger?

If yes, it won't work.

You really need to use the AC Adaptor plug, no USB port for charging.

I can't imagine the unit died.

It's really an AC Adaptor plug, the one that came with the Pandora. All I did was add a travel adaptor that fits North American standards. Anyway, the Pandora functioned like this for months without problems.

How much Ampere does the AC adaptor have?

EDIT: Ah, the one that came with the Pandora... hmm... weird :/

I still doubt the unit is broken from suspend, wouldn't make sense.

Maybe not the unit, but maybe the battery was deeply discharged and is broken now somehow. Not every Pandora can run from ac alone, or can it?

0.3A

It's what happened though. I left it in suspend state on battery power. A detail I left out is that the screen was distorted when I came back home. I could tell it was the Pandora desktop, but it was very distorted from vertical lines going from top to bottom of the screen. At that point it wasn't responding at all. I plugged it to run on AC power for several minutes and seeing there were no results, I unplugged it, removed the battery and the screen went black. From that moment on, the Pandora never showed signs of life, no LEDs, not the faintest fart (after I put everything back together, of course)

Edit: If it's worth anything to you, I just removed the battery and it's warm. :p

Maybe not the unit, but maybe the battery was deeply discharged and is broken now somehow. Not every Pandora can run from ac alone, or can it?

Nope, but I haven't seen a battery that can't be revived with about 1 hour charging unless it was broken from the very beginning.

But I also think it's probably the battery and not the unit, so instead of getting an RMA, it would be more useful sending him a battery first.

That's not enough, it should be at least 1A, better 2A.

It's what happened though. I left it in suspend state on battery power. A detail I left out is that the screen was distorted when I came back home. I could tell it was the Pandora desktop, but it was very distorted from vertical lines going from top to bottom of the screen. At that point it wasn't responding at all. I plugged it to run on AC power for several minutes and seeing there were no results, I unplugged it, removed the battery and the screen went black. From that moment on, the Pandora never showed signs of life, no LEDs, not the faintest fart (after I put everything back together, of course)

You mean, when you woke it up from suspend?

That could be, as suspend needs a lot less power. It probably came back and crashed right away.

Perhaps I read the indications wrong.

Input: 100V-240V-0.3A 50/60Hz

Output: 5V (weird symbol) 2A

Edit: I never really woke it up from suspend, it did so by itself. When I found it sitting on my nightstand, the screen was showing a distorted view of the Xfce desktop but the keyboard and cursor didn't respond.

5V 2A is what it can feed the Pandora. but are you able to actually measure it?

Sorry, doublepost.

No, I have no means to measure it. But like I said, it's the AC adaptor that shipped with the Pandora and I already tested the adaptor with an external harddrive, which seemed to work perfectly.

Does the harddrive really work with it?

Does it spin up when not connected to the PC? Because a lot of external harddisks work fine without an AC Adaptor, it's just used in case the USB port doesn't provide enough power.

No, if I plug the AC alone it makes a constant beeping noise, the same if I just plugged it in the USB port of my netbook. The hdd only spins if both are plugged simultaneously. I'm already using it to make backups.

Edit: I'll go to an electronics store later today. :)

Second edit: It's clear as water now that the Pandora just died and there's nothing I can do personally to revive it. I had the AC adapter verified by a technician and the charger is fine according to the multimeter. To erase any doubts, I went on and tested the Pandora with several PSP chargers at the same location and nada. Like you said, ED, it might be the battery's fault, but having only one in my possession there's no telling if it's indeed the battery that is giving me problems, which I sincerely doubt (but you know your child better than me :p ) The LEDs should turn on when running on AC power, right?

Back