Battery Life compromise.

I think we'd need MWeston's explanation to really understand why he says we shouldn't remove the batteries. I've done it before personally and it's not that it outright fails to work, although I can't remember if there were problems or not. This was before I was aware you weren't supposed to do it.

Maybe there were warnings in the datasheet or app notes. Maybe it has to do with some design element in the external layout. Maybe it has to do with a bug that was fixed in a later revision. Maybe it wasn't ever really a problem to begin with. But until someone, preferably MWeston, can explain that it's safe to use on Pandora I would say don't do it. This doesn't have anything to do with Pyra, my comment was about using a plugged in Pandora to charge a battery for Pyra without tying the Pyra up, since we know they're going to use the same battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to see EDs eventual anlaysis on battery life with the new screen & SOC.   I imagine the screen is going to eat a lot into the battery.  I think it was Exophase that brought up a while ago, how the ipad had to increase its battery size significantly when it increased the screen res - just to maintain battery life.  The only time I have not seen an increase in battery size, was with the new iPad Air where they reduced the battery size by 30% and still maintained battery life.  There was no resolution change though , they were able to this by using a screen with IGZO.  

It would be interesting to see EDs eventual anlaysis on battery life with the new screen & SOC.   I imagine the screen is going to eat a lot into the battery.  I think it was Exophase that brought up a while ago, how the ipad had to increase its battery size significantly when it increased the screen res - just to maintain battery life.  The only time I have not seen an increase in battery size, was with the new iPad Air where they reduced the battery size by 30% and still maintained battery life.  This was done by using a screen with IGZO.
EvilDragon has already pointed out that the new screen uses about the same amount of power as the Pandora screen.

-God Ginrai

It would be interesting to see EDs eventual anlaysis on battery life with the new screen & SOC.   I imagine the screen is going to eat a lot into the battery.  I think it was Exophase that brought up a while ago, how the ipad had to increase its battery size significantly when it increased the screen res - just to maintain battery life.  The only time I have not seen an increase in battery size, was with the new iPad Air where they reduced the battery size by 30% and still maintained battery life.  This was done by using a screen with IGZO.
EvilDragon has already pointed out that the new screen uses about the same amount of power as the Pandora screen.

-God Ginrai
Mind pointing me to where he said that.  It may not just be the screen in itself by the way, the SOC needs to work harder to display the extra resolution.

^ The difficulty in accessing this is that it's likely the SOC will have to do more work to push out the extra resolution.  Which is something Exo mentioned in the iPad example he talked about a while back.  That is why I would like to see battery life analysis done on the Screen and SOC together.

Hi,

for me battery long-time support is crucial. Ed's argument to use the same battery for p2 is good news, because this means p1 will be supported with battaries for more then 3 years.

So - as a naive user - why not pack two p1-batteries in a case, where their power will be combined to a big one (serial combination) and only one controller would be necessary ...

Maybe this case could be used to lead the heat out of the body, when some parts are made of metal

Greetings

Hi,

for me battery long-time support is crucial. Ed's argument to use the same battery for p2 is good news, because this means p1 will be supported with battaries for more then 3 years.

So - as a naive user - why not pack two p1-batteries in a case, where their power will be combined to a big one (serial combination) and only one controller would be necessary ...

Greetings
^ it would thicken the size of the device.

Also not sure what you mean by serial combination, that's not any term I've ever heard.. you could put the batteries in parallel with each other which would increase the capacity which would give the affect you're looking for.. putting the batteries in a series circuit which may be what you're getting at when you mentioned "serial combination" would double the voltage and fry things.

Developing a slightly larger battery may be another solution instead of just using the p1 battery.

Back