• less than one hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 Hours

• 3-5 Hours

• Total voters

jastolze

K, as the poll asks "how much battery on average" I only ask because I've bought like a ton of things that claim to have like 3 times it's actual battery life span, but ends up being almost nothing compared to what they advertised.

Of actual use with the screen at full brightness and wifi OFF, I can play for 3 hours nonstop and still have about 70% battery left: that's an estimated 10 hours of play time. If I turn the screen brightness down and underclock the CPU I've had it read an estimated 14 hours of use, but I don't expect most people to go to these lengths.
I've had to do some testing with the battery in order to reset the charge circuit which required draining it out to zero and for that I overclock the CPU, turn the wifi on full power, and let it do complex calculations for about 5 hours before it finally shuts down. That's 5 hours of doing pretty much everything I can think of to drain the battery as fast as I can.
With the screen off, just playing music, the estimate runs over 20 hours.
The caveat, of course, is that these are estimates from full charge. The battery only has an idle time of about 24 hours: if you charge it overnight and unplug it in the morning, by evening it will have drained to about half, thus you might only get an actual 4 or 5 hours of play time that night. There should be ways to improve idle time, but no good ideas have come yet, unfortunately.

Yeah, even full out pushing the system I'm fairly certain 5-6 hours on a full charge is the least amount of time your gonna get (until the battery gets old and starts being a bitch ;) ). I routinely was using it for music at work until I sent mine away for repairs, and I was using it for two shifts at a time (between 10-13 hours let's say) and still having battery power to listen to it on my walks and around the house :)

... I can't wait to get mine back... I miss it so much! Although my new phone (Xperia Play) has been filling the void fairly well, and is now officially setup to be my wicked awesome pile of cool! Once I have both of them, I'll be unstoppable!!! My new internet penis is a monster, just incase you're wondering! (Mister Mistor's email reference, look it up stupid :p)

if you cannot have at least 6 hour of playing then there is a problem...
Like Hooka, I easyly get 12h of mp3 playing every day + playing in my (short) trip from/to work. It's up to a point where I dont turn it off in a meeting : I just turn the music volume down

I would say about 8 to 10 hours overclocked to 1Ghz OPP4 while gaming, no WIFI. With WIFI, web surfing about 8 hours. With mouse and keyboard, more like 6 to 8, USB devices drain a lot of power.

Most of this is with screen on minimum or close to minimum.

While playing music I get 16 hours.

sebt3 said:
Like Hooka, I easyly get 12h of mp3 playing every day
While listening to MP3s, clock the CPU down to about 200Mhz and set it to OPP1, you can almost double the music playback time.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
While listening to MP3s, clock the CPU down to about 200Mhz and set it to OPP1, you can almost double the music playback time.
I know I know, but why bother ?
I need 8-9 hours of playing everyday. Someday (when I need to feel alone) I need 3-4 hours more... yet my pandora still have some juice after that.
But clocking down to 200 at opp1, I guess you can go way over 20h. I just dont need that much ;)

I've voted "More than 6 hours", but my average tends to be around nine or ten hours, at a guess.

I get twelve hours of MP3 playing if I shut the lid (I don't change the clock-speed or anything like that), and I get about eight to ten hours of gaming. I've got my screen brightness pretty high, though, as I find that easy on the eyes whilst typing on it (for which I can get about nine or ten hours, whilst also playing music). If I lowered that I'm sure I'd get a bit more, but as it is it's more than plenty. :p

EDIT: Overclocking it to 850MHz at stock voltage (OPP3), which is the highest my Pandora can go to at that voltage, doesn't seem to change it very much, either.

In October 2010 I was playing with the SNES emulator for some 9 to 10h (Settings: Wifi off, Display medium brightness, sound via speakers almost at max, no higher "power" level but CPU frequency set to 600MHz). After doing so I still had roughly 10% battery time left. Something similar last autumn during the GSOC Mentor Summit. There I started my pandora at 9 in the morning with wifi and all this stuff (keep in mind, hotfix6 with problematic loading/battery status, I was affected!) and during all of the day battery got down to 30% when I went back into the bus to the hotel at 5pm. During this time wifi was active all the time while walking around on the google campus. Display was at a rather high brightness and I was using apps like xchat/pidgin/firefox when the pandora was actually opened. When I did not need it I only closed the display and put it into a pocket.

K, thanks for replying, guys. I have another question. About how long does it take to fully charge from 5% battery life? I haven't received my Pandora yet, but I'm hoping to get it later today! :D
Thanks,
Jastolze

^ At least a few hours, as far as I can tell. But you can make that go quicker by flipping it into low-power mode - this is usually done by briefly flipping the power-switch as if powering the device on, but I think that Hotfix 6 may also do this when you shut the lid, too.

Hey, I just got my Pandora in the mail, but I ran into a couple of issues.
1. The charger that came with it is unusual, and it doesn't fit in the outlet at my home (It's from the UK). How can I find a converter for this item? I would like it to meet the amount of voltage it takes.
2. Every time I click on a PND file, I execute it and nothing happens. I'm trying to run IOQuake3. No message, no nothing. It's on my SD card, if that helps at all.

Please help
-Jastolze

The charger is compatible with the Sony PSP. If you have a PSP charger lying around or can borrow one, that will work. The charger sent should also be a universal voltage one, it just has the wrong plug. My local dollar store sells adapters which are just pin converters, and that should work fine. I suggest getting a PSP adapter though, definitely. If you contact OpenPandora, they'll tell you they made a mistake and you can send back the adapter to get the right one, but that'll cost about $20 so you may as well just go buy a PSP adapter for cheaper.
As for running PNDs, you can't just "run" PND files. You copy them to the SD card in a special directory and everything that you need to run them just appears on the desktop or in the menu. Read this here for some instructions.

WizardStan said:
The charger is compatible with the Sony PSP. If you have a PSP charger lying around or can borrow one, that will work. The charger sent should also be a universal voltage one, it just has the wrong plug. My local dollar store sells adapters which are just pin converters, and that should work fine. I suggest getting a PSP adapter though, definitely. If you contact OpenPandora, they'll tell you they made a mistake and you can send back the adapter to get the right one, but that'll cost about $20 so you may as well just go buy a PSP adapter for cheaper.
As for running PNDs, you can't just "run" PND files. You copy them to the SD card in a special directory and everything that you need to run them just appears on the desktop or in the menu. Read this here for some instructions.

Thank you SO much, WizardStan. I had two psp chargers available - so, I got lucky! And for the PND files, it's as simple as can be! Thanks again for the info! :)
Edit: I created those four folders inside of the pandora folder, then put the pnd file in there, but when i tried to run it, nothing happened, still... My folders are in the root of the sd card, also, what should i be opening the file with? There's no recommended apps that can open the file. Please help :(

You don't need to run the PNDs, they should become setup in the menu automatically just by copying them into the directories. If they do not appear in the menu then there may be something wrong. What interface are you using, Minimenu or the full XFCE desktop?

WizardStan said:
You don't need to run the PNDs, they should become setup in the menu automatically just by copying them into the directories. If they do not appear in the menu then there may be something wrong. What interface are you using, Minimenu or the full XFCE desktop?
I'm running XFCE, (pretty sure) and I don't know what menu you mean. I have a folder named menu if that's what your talking about.

On your SD card, create a folder called "pandora"
In that folder, create folders called "menu" and "desktop"
Any PND files you put in \pandora\desktop will appear on your desktop. Any PND files you put in \pandora\menu will appear in the Pandora menu. With your stylus, tap the little Pandora icon in the lower left side of the screen to open the menu, just like the Start button in Windows.

WizardStan said:
On your SD card, create a folder called "pandora"
In that folder, create folders called "menu" and "desktop"
Any PND files you put in \pandora\desktop will appear on your desktop. Any PND files you put in \pandora\menu will appear in the Pandora menu. With your stylus, tap the little Pandora icon in the lower left side of the screen to open the menu, just like the Start button in Windows.
Okay, I did that, but it's not appearing on the desktop/menu. Just to be clear, my file folder is like: /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu
Is that correct? Because I can't create a folder in a lot of other places... Also, this is a used pandora. I got it off of ebay, and the guy that sent it to me had his own account. How do I create my own account?
Edit: nevermind it showed up. I had to eject the sd card, then reinsert it. Now i see it on the desktop. But it still won't do anything after i execute quake3 Shortcut.
Edit2: I can't run games due to the fact that he (Richard) had his own account and is denying anything I do... how can I change or create existing accounts?

Ah, yeah, that could do it. Multi-user is an issue for some applications.
You can easily reinstall the firmware from scratch, thus creating your own fresh user.
Download the latest firmware zip (technically there's also beta firmware you can also try, if you want to experiment with some untested features), extract it to the root of your SD card, and while you reboot your Pandora, hold the R trigger. The SD card has to be in the left SD slot. A pre-boot menu will pop up asking if you want to boot from SD1. That will reinstall the OS and begin the first boot wizard. First boot can take up to 10 minutes while it uncompresses and copies files to the internal storage. Once it is done, you'll be able to put in your own name and other information.
Hopefully this helps!

Back