Wiz Controls And Battery Life

trayvyz

Still Fresh
Hi again, I think I'm starting to make up my mind about buying a Wiz. It just looks amazing and promising! I just want to clarify two last things:

* The controls. People (in this and other similar forums) say that compared e.g. to a Dingoo, the Wiz's controls are pretty ghastly. I really have doubts about the buttons being in a D-pad configuration and the actual D-pad confusing right with down or something like that. I read there is some mod you can do to fix that (could you please point me to the according post?) but I don't know if I'd be happy to fiddle with a brand new Wiz... Also, the shoulder buttons are purportedly not very well placed, but I guess it also depends on hand size.
So how are the controls? How would you describe them (compared to a gameboy perhaps, so I can get the picture)?

* battery life. I've come across numbers from 7-9h to 4-5h, depending on overclocking. I don't really mind charging the device often, but generally charging a battery over and over decreases the overall battery life, which means you'll eventually need to get a replacement pack once the old one bites the dust. Given that the battery pack is actually part of the system itself means that it might not be easy to find one. So my questions are:
- How long (approximately) does the battery last before it dies out? I know it's a bit early in the Wiz's life to say, but maybe someone uses it a lot and has faced this?
- Where would you find a replacement?
- How much would it cost?

Thank you all so much for your precious guidance so far! This is an amazing community and I'd love to become a part of it!

Controls are good. I actually prefer them over the PSP's controls.

Battery life is also good. I'm not too sure how long it lasts. It differs on what you play. I also get lost when playing so time passes without recognition.

Buy a WiZ! It's worth it.

I'm in full agreement with JayWhite. Buy a WIZ. You won't be sorry ;).
I read all the stuff about the buttons too. I've found that after holding it and using it, I adore the D-shaped buttons better than regular buttons.
I got 7+ hours out of my WIZ just a few days ago when I timed it. That's with the brightness on the highest setting and all the overclocking for certain MAME games and SNES games.
I just can't see you going wrong with the WIZ ;).

The controls are fine. You'll get used to the d-pad buttons eventually. The mushiness is like a Game Boy Color but it curves up so when you press it and that feels nice. The same happens with the right-side buttons. I like it and I don't know why. The shoulder buttons are way better than a Dingoo, which is like having on of the Game Boy Advance SP shoulder buttons halfway between the edge and middle of the device. You didn't mention anything about the touchscreen. I found that a bit jittery on mine, but not all the games I like use dragging including Scummvm.

Reo said:
You didn't mention anything about the touchscreen. I found that a bit jittery on mine, but not all the games I like use dragging including Scummvm.

I really forgot the Wiz had a touchscreen... Suppose it's not all that useful (except for scumm games), just a pleasant thing to have. Honestly, if I could somehow get a cheaper Wiz without a touchscreen, I think I would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you might be more interested in the cheaper Dingoo. I have a Wiz, and I have to say I love it. You might end up kicking yourself if you dont get the Wiz, and suddenly realise you dearly love SCUMMVM. Have a go of some SCUMMVM games on the PC, if you like them, you need a Wiz, if not, you should be ok with a Dingoo - untill the next update of DOSBOX and UAE4all come out with top class mouse support :)

GeorgyPorgy said:
Reo said:
You didn't mention anything about the touchscreen. I found that a bit jittery on mine, but not all the games I like use dragging including Scummvm.

I really forgot the Wiz had a touchscreen... Suppose it's not all that useful (except for scumm games), just a pleasant thing to have. Honestly, if I could somehow get a cheaper Wiz without a touchscreen, I think I would.

If you like Transport Tycoon Deluxe, I am about to come out with a Wiz port of it that uses the touchscreen. It's pretty painful to play it any other way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I love the scumm games and i've finished all monkey islands, full throttle, day of the tentacle, grim fandango and right now I'm playing broken sword 1! :rolleyes: I think scumm on the Wiz is a HUGE plus, so I guess the touchscreen does have a good reason to be there! And, no, I'm not buying a Dingoo... This unreliable, cheapy Chinese spin-off might as well explode or melt while being operated! Well, ok, maybe not, I'm sure it's great for its price, but no thanks anyway. I've located a local vendor who sells Wiz's and I think I'll drop in tomorrow and check this baby out myself. If the chemistry between us is good, we're eloping together! :D

I find the wiz d-pad and button controls very nice indeed! Its not the best for 2D fighters however. Battery life I find very reasonable and its easy to change the battery. There are screws at the back of the case unscrew it pop out the old battery in with the new and hey presto!

Back