Audio controls on the outside of the clamshell

ErebusGrin

Still Fresh
Any chance of audio controls on the outside of the clamshell? Even just a play/pause button would make a huge difference when using the device as an mp3 player.

ErebusGrin

Any chance of audio controls on the outside of the clamshell? Even just a play/pause button would make a huge difference when using the device as an mp3 player.

ErebusGrin
Most likely controlled with the shoulder buttons. With 4 of them it should give adequate amounts of controls. although could be prone to accidentally hitting them :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that makes sense. Usability would depend a lot on the style of the shoulder buttons - if there's 4 of them, the upper rank (assuming they are laid out a la PS3, etc) might be quite hard to press accidently.

I definitely think that accessible audio controls are a must, though. 

Yea, using the shoulder buttons for this would make sense. Then the media players could just listen for the shoulder events when it is closed.

-God Ginrai

Would be better if there are speakers on the outside too.

If some audio player makes proper use of the 4 shoulder buttons, some kind of beltbag would be a great accessory, for it would make other mp3 players and therefore another device obsolete when you have a Pandora2 Pyra and the audio quality will be better too of course. If nothing like this will be offered, maybe I'll make it myself.

If some audio player makes proper use of the 4 shoulder buttons
You basically only need a script that (re)maps the shoulder buttons to the play/pause/skip/whatever-media-keys or hotkeys. (→Debian-Wiki)

Re-maps, because I'd probably don't want the shoulder buttons to be for media controls when the lid is open and I want to play/work. 

No. Buy yourself a good pair of speakers. Or open the lid.

-God Ginrai
Good pair of speakers on the go? Then what's the point of mapping audio controls on the outside?

Not everyone uses headphones all the time.

Hmm, this made me think mybe pebble controls? I have my pebble linked to my phone and all I do is make a playlist on my phone and then controll through my Pebble. If I had to choose between linking to my phone or my Pyra I'm choosing my phone so if the pebble can't sync two devices this is a pretty dumb idea.

No. Buy yourself a good pair of speakers. Or open the lid.

-God Ginrai
Good pair of speakers on the go?
X-Mini.

Then what's the point of mapping audio controls on the outside?

Not everyone uses headphones all the time.
 That feature was specifically intended for people using headphones.

Hmm, this made me think mybe pebble controls? I have my pebble linked to my phone and all I do is make a playlist on my phone and then controll through my Pebble. If I had to choose between linking to my phone or my Pyra I'm choosing my phone so if the pebble can't sync two devices this is a pretty dumb idea.
That would be neat. It should be possible as long as there was a willing developer interested in doing it. However, this would not likely be something handled by the Pyra team, but rather by someone interested in it after the device is released.

-God Ginrai

This doesnt make sense from a pcb standpoint. Having the speakers soldered to the board means less manual routing of wires and soldering thereof. Also, doing speakers at a 90 degree angle to the solderjoints of the board is hard.  A custom solution with sound transmission lines out of the case could be possible, but still it would mean you use that pcb space, only to be more flexible on where to put them at the cost of added complexity.

Meaning, I don't want to carry another device.

That feature was specifically intended for people using headphones.
Way to alienate people. :p

This doesnt make sense from a pcb standpoint. Having the speakers soldered to the board means less manual routing of wires and soldering thereof. Also, doing speakers at a 90 degree angle to the solderjoints of the board is hard.  A custom solution with sound transmission lines out of the case could be possible, but still it would mean you use that pcb space, only to be more flexible on where to put them at the cost of added complexity.
I guess I'm just not going to win on this. :lol:

Do you know where the speakers are in the Pandora? ;)

Yes, they are in the lid, which is something that doesnt make sense, thus resulting in seeing it from a pcb stanpoint.

Routing speaker wires through the lid and using bezel space for speakers is something that was done in 'the early days.

Yes, they are in the lid, which is something that doesnt make sense, thus resulting in seeing it from a pcb stanpoint.

Routing speaker wires through the lid and using bezel space for speakers is something that was done in 'the early days.
OK, I'm lost. Where should the speakers be?

OK, I'm lost. Where should the speakers be?
I've always supported keeping them in the lid, however, it seems the general consensus from the other users is to put it in the base of the device, above the controls.

-God Ginrai

I would gladly buy something like this if it was available.

mudcg4.jpg

http://www.wpcentral.com/review-htc-wired-remote-control-headset

Please someone find something like this that can be modified for use on the Pandora/Pyra.

I would gladly buy something like this if it was available.

mudcg4.jpg

http://www.wpcentral.com/review-htc-wired-remote-control-headset

Please someone find something like this that can be modified for use on the Pandora/Pyra.
I'm sure it would be quite easy to get a bluetooth multimedia remote to work with the Pyra. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-MediaRemote-Bluetooth-Multi-Media-Control/dp/B00824948U

It's like what you posted, but no wire.

-God Ginrai

Yeah, that makes sense. Usability would depend a lot on the style of the shoulder buttons - if there's 4 of them, the upper rank (assuming they are laid out a la PS3, etc) might be quite hard to press accidently.

I definitely think that accessible audio controls are a must, though. 
just like on many mp3 players out there, they could implement a feature to block the buttons by pressing one or two of them for some seconds, so there won't be any accidental song pausing or skipping. ...logically, to unblock them you'd do the same thing.

Back