question to the audio system I never understood

mclien

Very Active Member
Maybe I was missing something. But I do not understand why there is any need of more than one audio stream on a device like the Pyra.
Or is it the case, that you can't simply get an ScO that offers something like that?

Well, im not someone who knows that much about the Software, but to have more than one Audio Stream makes quite some sense, :
Lets say you want to make a meeting, than you can root the USB Microphone to one Chanel, and the Audio Out to another chanel,

This is a standart feature, and its also quite usefull when you have the HDMI Out working, which needs currently a bit of work..

Maybe I was missing something. But I do not understand why there is any need of more than one audio stream on a device like the Pyra.
Or is it the case, that you can't simply get an ScO that offers something like that?
We're using a SoC that it's intended purpose was for Automotive head units with multimedia features. multiple sound input, and outputs along with multiple camera inputs and display outputs, etc... We're not utilizing many of the camera and display features for sure. As Ti Axed the chip fairly early in it's lifespan, the drivers need a bit of work still. So our sound system isn't quite working as intended yet.

What's so surprising?
one stream out for speakers
one stream out for headphone jack
one stream in for headphone mic
(is there any other mic? I guess yes)
one stream out to the modem, so that people can hear you on their phones
one stream in from the modem, so that you can hear people that call you (or that you call)

Then there might be more for coprocessors and apps and stuff...
And you might want to use bluettoth or USB headphones with or without mic which are like other soundcards with their own streams...

I do understand, that there are several devices that need audio, but not that those are needed all at the same time.
And no, I don't want bluetooth headphones, to have an extra device that can run out of battery and gives me additional radio waves.

But I do get the problem to be forced to use the OMAP version that was not intended (automotive vs. consumer, which IIRC was the one on the devboards).

Volumes are allociated with apps which get represented as channels by the time they make it to the sound system. I like being able to modulate the sound coming out of bandcamp on my browser without affecting the volume of the movie I'm watching. Granted, I don't listen at the same time, pausing one before I start the other, but it's nice that it remembers the volume settings.

Does the rembering the volume "need" to be done with different streams? Couldn't the app do that? I know this doesn't help the problem to deal with "what we fave at hand"
I was (on purpose) not thinking about what we have, but more in general: "Why would I have several streams on a device only one person uses, who in general isn't capable of listen to 2 things at once anyway?"
(I missed the speaker/mic separated streams, though)

You can have alarm clock / calendar alerts and phone calls ringing with different volumes, and them should be able to start playing while you are listening to something else.

Does that mean it would need no extra stream, when the same volume is used? (really I don't know that. Would be an argument of course)

It's not needed for a single-user handheld, that's for sure.
However, the OMAP has been designed to be used with that chip. We planned to use the same Burr Brown DAC as in the Pandora - but the OMAP5 would not be able to drive that.

So the only other solution would've been to add another sound chip via a USB connection or similar.

It's not needed for a single-user handheld, that's for sure.
However, the OMAP has been designed to be used with that chip. We planned to use the same Burr Brown DAC as in the Pandora - but the OMAP5 would not be able to drive that.

So the only other solution would've been to add another sound chip via a USB connection or similar.
Thanks for clearing that one. I just began to question my sanity.
..oh wait, do I ever had that?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rSl
Back