Atari ST - Castaway/GP Release 003

Great work on the emu, even if it is still in its early stages. It is quite amazing to see how far you got in so little time
I have a few questions - please understand I am not criticizing, I am just curious to know wether I am doing things correctly or not or if the options are implemented (if they are not, then they might be worth implementing):
- Left shoulder button cycles through the controls, but I don't seem to be able to get mouse control (I tried all states - keyboard, joystick, frameskip & blank which I assume is mouse) on the workbench
- Is it possible to cycle the controls slower ? most of the time I pass the option I want by just taping the button
- Is there a way to change rom page ? the browser only shows the first 10 or so roms
- Is there a way to change folders ? When I try to change folder, it selects it as a rom
- I am not too familiar with the ST (I own an Amiga, which is in its own right a total bitch to work), but how are the floppy drive accessed (in short is there a need to have 2 floppies inserted at all time & if so, are there specific rules as to what to put in each drive). In this respect, trying Amberstar (disk 1 in drive A & disk 2 in drive B), it says that the game can only be played from drive A
- Is it possible to swap disks within the emulator ? If so, how ?
- How do you boot straight to the workbench (the only time it happened is when I tried Bloodwych) ?
- which version of Xenon 2 do you use ? I tried mine & it doesn't work. For some reason I arrive to the crack page, pull up the keyboard & try to press T (for trainer) & it doesn't do anything (I tried with other keys, too)
Thanks for any help you can provide,

Loic

stickofjoy posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
paulh posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
Anyone tried Sensible Soccer yet??
This is the only place you need to go for games:

ftp://atari:st@208.42.19.22

Where can we donate Jeff? Just buy one/many of your Palm apps, right?

matt
*g* I just bought myself a 128MB SMC card for this the other day :) Donations to help fun this stuff.. only if you want to. I will not ask for donatiosn for GP32 stuff, as its a labour of love. But if you like, just go to http://www.codejedi.com and buy "XCade" or something :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
But I am at work for the next 6 hours, it's not fair, I wanna play ST

boo hoo

;)

MrT

ldaneels posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
Great work on the emu, even if it is still in its early stages. It is quite amazing to see how far you got in so little time
I have a few questions - please understand I am not criticizing, I am just curious to know wether I am doing things correctly or not or if the options are implemented (if they are not, then they might be worth implementing):
- Left shoulder button cycles through the controls, but I don't seem to be able to get mouse control (I tried all states - keyboard, joystick, frameskip & blank which I assume is mouse) on the workbench
- Is it possible to cycle the controls slower ? most of the time I pass the option I want by just taping the button
- Is there a way to change rom page ? the browser only shows the first 10 or so roms
- Is there a way to change folders ? When I try to change folder, it selects it as a rom
- I am not too familiar with the ST (I own an Amiga, which is in its own right a total bitch to work), but how are the floppy drive accessed (in short is there a need to have 2 floppies inserted at all time & if so, are there specific rules as to what to put in each drive). In this respect, trying Amberstar (disk 1 in drive A & disk 2 in drive B), it says that the game can only be played from drive A
- Is it possible to swap disks within the emulator ? If so, how ?
- How do you boot straight to the workbench (the only time it happened is when I tried Bloodwych) ?
- which version of Xenon 2 do you use ? I tried mine & it doesn't work. For some reason I arrive to the crack page, pull up the keyboard & try to press T (for trainer) & it doesn't do anything (I tried with other keys, too)
Thanks for any help you can provide,

Loic
I've been working like mad on it for a couple weeks straight (first ported STonX, then Castaway, now CastCE...) :) Lots of work getting it just right.

- "blank" control is mouse, yeah. Should be fine. Testred with TOS 1.02 and 1.04

- I will be tuning the sensitivity

- disk selection paging will come soon

- no folder changing; its really a "dumb" menu right now

- eject/swap will be supported, but it isn't yet without resetting

- you need a disk that goes to the desktop; the included diska.stt and diskb.stt go to desktop

- I used automation .. 133 I think? It comes up with crack splash, hit "2" for Xenon, wait, it asks for trainer.. just keep waiting (or hit space or something?) Even tually it goes through 2-3 bitmap brothers splashes and then you hit space to get into the game

- the unpacking cracks take a long time to unpack (lots of math); crank frameskip up high when unpacking, and then crank it down again to play the game.. that can get thriogh slow times that look crashed when its not crashed..

jeff

hey skeezix how come you so good? ;)

just setting everything up now, got me some images to play with, got the TOS images ready, heh with stuff like this coming out daily i'll need a second and third SMC ;)

Thanks for the support Skeezix, it is greatly appreciated.
I am glad to see I am not totally hopeless yet :)
I will most definitely be looking forward to the next updates.
Thanks for the great emu & keep up the awesome work (don't forget to take some breaks, though),

Loic

Hmmm I'm stuck...

" Find yourself a TOS ROM image file" ... does this mean I need to trawl the net to find one? .. also where do i copy this file? \GPMM or the \ATARIST folder?

Automation 97 - Oids - Working.
Automation 388_B - Llamatron 1Meg - Working
Automation 186 - Little Computer People - Partial. Trying to enter name but can't find the return key (Am I being dumb?) - Update. When the data fields are filled with characters the game loads and works.
Automation 00 (v.2) - Sinbad - Working but the joystick won't stop moving.

Sweet beautiful Oids. As Jeff says the joystick is a little weird but I think we can happily ignore that for now. This is one seriously nice piece of work.

heh demonix if you go onto the ftp link someone posted they have all the TOS images, thats where i got mine from

Demonix posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
Hmmm I'm stuck...

" Find yourself a TOS ROM image file" ... does this mean I need to trawl the net to find one? .. also where do i copy this file? \GPMM or the \ATARIST folder?
Get your TOS images at www.atari.st, or thirty dozen other Atari sites ;)

jeff

Demonix posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
Hmmm I'm stuck...

TOS.IMG goe sinto the ATARIST directory.

I'll clarify the README if needed,

jeff

skeezix the TOS images ain't on www.atari.st anymore i don't think, i didn't find them but i wasn't really looking very hard :D

hmmm i can't actually get any games to work ;_;, I've gotten games from http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/automation.htm and they come to a crack screen where you can select them game from a choice but i don't get a mouse icon or anything appearing on the screen, also with the llamatron game posted on here it just stays on the same screen at the begining ;_; maybe its just me being a silly bugger so i'll give it another whirl

That'd be ace Jeff... nice EMU by the way! :)

I managed to find the TOS file and get a disk image loaded... pity it takes forever to load the "zipped" disks! Anyone know of a good way of unzipping them and then putting them on their own disk image?

Very impressed with the work so far, this emulator has come along so quickly in a matter of days.

Gonna have to dig out my old ST collection and fill up a SMC tonight :)

Everything I've tried so far has worked. Might I suggest adding gamma controls onto the todo list? Some of the games (Like Speedball 2) are a little dark on the gp32 screen.

I've got dungeon master to load and i've got it to the enter and resume screen, but how do i set the controls!?
I can't actually move the mouse pointer or use it ¬_¬

Shrike posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
hmmm i can't actually get any games to work ;_;, I've gotten games from http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/automation.htm and they come to a crack screen where you can select them game from a choice but i don't get a mouse icon or anything appearing on the screen, also with the llamatron game posted on here it just stays on the same screen at the begining ;_; maybe its just me being a silly bugger so i'll give it another whirl
Not an original ST owner eh? :)

The cracked/warez/packed/compacted games all had the demo/menu at the front. You generally push a numbewr or a space bar to get past.. ie: Automaiton 97 with OIDS and Dungeon Master.. it has a menu with 3 games up front, so you push 1, 2, or 3 to get past the menu and into the games proper. Since its a game, it may or may not give you a mouse cursor.. up to the game. The desktop will give you a mouse of course.

Left-shoulder cycles through input modes.. keyboard mode lets you hit keys.

For llamatron, you need to push the firebutton on the joystick to get into the game from the splashscreen. So hit left-shoulder a few times till you get the joystick up, and then push "B" to fire.

jeff

Shrike posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
I've got dungeon master to load and i've got it to the enter and resume screen, but how do i set the controls!?
I can't actually move the mouse pointer or use it ¬_¬
DM works well...

1) FTL comes wooshing by

2) The Enter/resume door shows up

3) Move the mouse to "enter" (say)

4) Wait for a minute or two.. extensive disk loading is slower. OR crank frameskip to like 40 and wait 30s ;) Then crank frameskip to 0 or 1, as DM itself runs fullspeed once loaded

The cursor should move fine.. I know some hacks of DM are goofy, but I've tried a pure Dungeon Master from a DM disk, and it works great. I think Automaiton 97 works good too, but I can't recall offhand.

Wub already gained a few levels in DM :)

jeff

Back