New Atari St Screenshot Gallery?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Some of you may have already seen my CaSTaway screenshot gallery:
http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/castscreens.html

I'm thinking of building a more general Atari ST fan site; for a lark today I snapped 78 screenshots of a bunch of games, and if people like the idea maybe I'll keep chugging and make a few hundred more shots and eventually who knows how many.. maybe include game info in the displays, etc.

Is this worth spending piles of time on?

jeff

Always nice to see a gallery like this, but to make it properly useful it would be nice to have the info box with a disk name that works in Castaway (Automation_197 etc.)

I take it the compatibility in Castaway is the same in the palm port?

Also, I regularly use the ranking system and user comments they have on www.lemon64.com - if you could add something like this without too much bother it would be blinding!

Yes, it would be really usefull! vgmuseum.com barely has any pictures of Atari ST games, so I have no idea what to try out as I never owned one!

Especially, a list of your favorite games would be nice. :)

BTW, your site has a weird space in between the two rows of screenshots that seems a little unnecessary, and it makes the site hard to view on my low resolution. Would it be possible to just have the 2 columns of screenshots side by side?

wow, this is brilliant for people that have never had an ST. The problem I find with other sites is you have to know what your looking for. With skeezix's site you can just go through the screen shots until something grabs your eye, theres loads of games on there that look fantasitc but I would never of even bothered to try them before.

Thanks skeezix.

Yeah i totally agree, some of the other Atari ST sites are good but its great to have a quick scan on this one as theres so many on the one page

Damn it brings back memories !!! Moving up from the Spectrum to the Amiga/Atari ST was amazing back then !

Great work Skeezix! And it gives a great idea of what games to try out ;)
Hmmm. Populous! That'd be great to play on the move. :lol:

But I think it'll take a lot of work to make it *really* useful.
Like .. linking to reviews .. linking into the compatability list ... giving them a rating.
And I would never suggest that you link to a download! :ph34r:

Esn posted on Mar 10 2005 at 05:04 AM said:
BTW, your site has a weird space in between the two rows of screenshots that seems a little unnecessary, and it makes the site hard to view on my low resolution. Would it be possible to just have the 2 columns of screenshots side by side?
This is because of three extra wide Zodiac screenies at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy posted on Mar 10 2005 at 09:36 AM said:
wow, this is brilliant for people that have never had an ST. The problem I find with other sites is you have to know what your looking for. With skeezix's site you can just go through the screen shots until something grabs your eye, theres loads of games on there that look fantasitc but I would never of even bothered to try them before.

Thanks skeezix.

I never had an st, and as a newbie to the GP32 stuff, this has made me see that castaway should be next on my list!!!!

Excellent stuff, cheers.

For any Atari ST 'newbies' theres a lot of classic games on that system.

Bubble Bobble - Excellent version of this classic, has the great tune
Rainbow Islands - Another arcade classic
Stunt Car Racer - One of THE most famous games for the ST, great laugh
Chaos Engine - Great shoot em up bit like Commando etc
Buggy Boy - Great arcade conversion
1942/1943 - Good arcade conversions
Commando - Very good version
Flying Shark - Yet again another great conversion !
Ghost n Goblins - ditto
Great Giani Sisters - Interesting Mario clone
New Zealand Story - Great version
Parasol Stars - Similar to Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands
Speedball II - Brilliant game
Xenon II - Very famous game
Battle Squadron - Excellent vertical shoot em up

psj3809 posted on Mar 10 2005 at 12:38 PM said:
Chaos Engine - Great shoot em up bit like Commando etc

I think, the console versions of this game were called Soldier of Fortune. (Just a random fact.)

There's also Sid Meyers Civilization for ST. :D

Would be really cool if these screenshots could be somehow linked to the game disks on the Castaway Browser so that you can get more info within Castaway :)

yeah, I was planning on making a site to do reviews, show producer info, etc etc etc. But it looks like Atari LEgend has really filled the gap with a searchable index and screenshots and the works:

http://www.atarilegend.com/news/news.php

I've been there in the past but damn its really grown nicely, so I think my re-doing it is moot :p

But I may still do a personal favourites page..

jeff

As to compatability.. CaSTaway/GP is the most compatible of all the CaSTaway variations; a little more than Palm OS and PoPC builds for sure, though I'll have the Pal OS one up to the same level when I get a moment ;) DC and PS2 and such are getting there, butstill lagging.

jeff

I've been using www.atari.st for a few days with my new found interest of the atari st but another site would be great. Also the fact that it's related to the GP32 is pretty cool.

Back