Atari ST - Castaway/GP Release 003

skeezix posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
A600 posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
Just a little suggestion: In joystick mode you could remap GP32 A button to the space key because many games use the space key as secondary weapon and also most cracktros can be skipped with the space key.
Good idea; will do!

jeff

Many thanks :)

For platform games like Turrican, Jim Power or Rick Dangerous would be great to remap the GP32 A button to the ST joystick UP direction (jump) because diagonals with the D-Pad are difficult to do:

B button --> ST joy fire button
A button --> ST joy up direction
Right button --> Space.

I built years ago a joystick cable for my Amiga 600 just to use the secondary button of a Megadrive/Genesis gamepad as the jump button and platformers really were more playable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Dungeon Master up and running - the controls are bit quirky and sometimes lock up for some reason? Not sure why - I've tried changing the frame skip but that does not seem to do much.

On the A/B selection screen i've noticed that I'm unable to scroll down the list of images I have - I think I can only see around 12 items?

Apart from this the EMU is well cool! :D

Demonix posted on Apr 30 2003 said:
I've got Dungeon Master up and running - the controls are bit quirky and sometimes lock up for some reason? Not sure why - I've tried changing the frame skip but that does not seem to do much.

On the A/B selection screen i've noticed that I'm unable to scroll down the list of images I have - I think I can only see around 12 items?

Apart from this the EMU is well cool! :D
Sometimes the mouse gets stuck on one side I've noticed; just go to the other side and hold for a sec, and it'll reset. I'll add a "start" to reset the mouse, soon, to calibrate it.

The double-click can get annoying in DM, but I'll fix that tonight :)

The file selector is pretty dumb at this point; it can't page up/down yet :) I'll try and add that soon, since we all went out and bought big SMC cards to fill up full of disk images :)

Glad you dig it :)

The ST is my fav machine rpetty much.. this makes me really happy :)

jeff

ive got turricans working
turrican 2 is a bit funny the screen seems to flash like its unpacking
the game
frame rate is bad though even cranking it up dont help
theres plenty for me to go through but i need the "F" keys
as some games on the multis need u to press for corisponding game
most are just 1,,2,,3 keys though
ive a full dvd of st images
just looking for the dizzy ones
to play my favs

Rainbow Island - works, but flashing colours all the time (quite psychadelic)
Joystick, sometimes works sometimes doesn't - noticed particularly on Speedball 2 type of game menu - couldn't select down to practice, had to go up to select it.

Fantastic for such an early release!

super impressive
just the sound and it will do me
ive got super sprint working
must admit a fav of mine looks awsome on it
plays well too, frame skip at just 2
controls are fine its just a bit funny while unpacking the actual game but once its on its fine.

wow! Skeezix you might wanna shot in your readme that TOS 1.02 is the best to use, i put it on and all the games became playable...weeeeeeeeeeeellllll except for oids, and DM, but i putting that down to a crappy image file :D

EDIT; Heh, i think this might become my favourite emu until genesis :D, the games are great fun!

Man! Here's me away from my PC so I can't test it 'til the weekend! :(

Frontier Elite 2 was the most disappointing game in history, I'm actually glad it isn't working! But has anyone got Sensi going?

Going from the general concensus Skeezix is obviously a genius.

managed to grab a few disc images before i had to go out after work, the bus journey home went straight through "testing central". ;)

FIRST: Jeff, you are my new idol. i love this to bits, even though it has made me not play Zelda:TWW for one night. ;)

GOOD NEWS:
Llamatron 1MB (works perfect, unpacked .PRG from ST Format)

MEDIOCRE NEWS:
PANG (FOF 48: playable, slightly sluggish due to palette changing halfway down the screen causing some freakiness)
Another World (plays intro fine, joystick does not work after copy protection, so intro is uninteruptable. did not wait for game)
DISC (SUP061: loads and plays well, joystick problem renders it very difficult to play)

BAD NEWS:
Sensible Soccer (SENS120.ST: any 1 disc 1.2 version, works fine until any joytick interaction. can get to menu by big frameskip and not pressing anything but after that crashes with flashing screen background colour)
Microprose Golf (GAU_907: crashes after intro, unpacking?)

WISH LIST:
mapable keys (space on select button, up on A button, P for pause on start button etc.)
easier mode toggle (perhaps hold L then press select to change modes?)
joystick problem that has been spotted.
keyboard problem that has been spotted.

BRING IT ON! :D

stickofjoy posted on May 1 2003 said:
managed to grab a few disc images before i had to go out after work, the bus journey home went straight through "testing central". ;)

FIRST: Jeff, you are my new idol. i love this to bits, even though it has made me not play Zelda:TWW for one night. ;)

GOOD NEWS:
BAD NEWS:
Sensible Soccer (SENS120.ST: any 1 disc 1.2 version, works fine until any joytick interaction. can get to menu by big frameskip and not pressing anything but after that crashes with flashing screen background colour)
Microprose Golf (GAU_907: crashes after intro, unpacking?)

WISH LIST:
mapable keys (space on select button, up on A button, P for pause on start button etc.)
easier mode toggle (perhaps hold L then press select to change modes?)
joystick problem that has been spotted.
keyboard problem that has been spotted.

BRING IT ON! :D
Glad you're enjoying it :)

Re: Bad news -- I may be adding a better renderer for whacky palette chasngers; ie: It draws scanline by scanline, but iot uses a whole-screen palette. I can try and build in a per-scanlie-palette, but that halves the render speed, which is a drag.. but might make these crazy-flicker games work. Gotta see how many of those there are. Maybe make two renderers.. fast and slow-but-more-accurate?

re: wishlist

Not likely mappable keys.. a lot of work. But with a few revisions perhaps I can make them mroe at home?
ie: Will be adding "a" for "Up" and such.

What keyboard problem?

I might sometime add a macro facility, too.. so you can define a macro that goes "goto(10,200); push left button" that sort of thing. We'll see. Its still young :)

jeff

Oh

Frontier Elite 2 does work - you need an original st image me thinks - I find one on the net though(I did buy the game after all)

and elite 2 is absolutely fantastic - the 3rd one(first encounters) might as well never been released - it was buggy and unplayable - how dumd is it to release elite 3 and only be able to leave the spaceports sometimes without crashing!?!

Civilisation(debug) booted but when it reached the main menu..mouse worked an all but nothing happened

BUT Chaos strikes back and captive worked 100% ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh

timthepig posted on May 1 2003 said:
and elite 2 is absolutely fantastic
That's crazy talk!

It was over-hyped, I remember every Amiga magazine (I dunno about ST ones, if there were any :) ) gave it a 6 page review and scores of 95%+, they even said it had amazing graphics!? So I ran out and bought it and oh dear...

Then my subscription Amiga Power arrived and it got about 59%, I'd say that was about right...

Just being having a play with some of the old FOF and Pompey disks and it works a treat! Many thanks Jeff - absolutely brilliant! I loved the old ST and this has really taken me back! :D

this could be interesting, never touched an ST but i remember seing the screenshots on the back of the old games boxes, i always thoguth it was a bit twisted u buy a game like op wolf, or robocop for ur humble speccy and they put the amiga and st screenshots on the back, twisted !!!!!
anyway this emu looks the lick so here we go...............

Well.. I've finally had the chance to post about this and BLOODY HELL it's good....

If it's THIS good at this early stage, I cant wait to see what will be achieved as it progresses. When I said (day before yesterday) to skeezix that if it went on like this we'd all be playing games within a month or so... I was KIDDING! and then the guy just goes and DOES IT.....! In a DAY!!!!!!

hehe - I salute you mr Skeezix, and all you stand for :) Like I've said before, I'm an aspiring C/C++ coder myself, but have to doff my hat to anyone who can port soemthing this complex in this short a time!

Keep it going and maybe we'll be emulating the Cray 2 by next year :D

Axeman posted on May 1 2003 said:
Well.. I've finally had the chance to post about this and BLOODY HELL it's good....

If it's THIS good at this early stage, I cant wait to see what will be achieved as it progresses. When I said (day before yesterday) to skeezix that if it went on like this we'd all be playing games within a month or so... I was KIDDING! and then the guy just goes and DOES IT.....! In a DAY!!!!!!

hehe - I salute you mr Skeezix, and all you stand for :) Like I've said before, I'm an aspiring C/C++ coder myself, but have to doff my hat to anyone who can port soemthing this complex in this short a time!

Keep it going and maybe we'll be emulating the Cray 2 by next year :D
Todays update smooths out a lot of wrinkles :)

Not sure how far to go.. check the readme in 004 when it comes out for the list of ToDos.. sound is the big one, but now that joystick and mouse are nice and solid (no double clicking/stickyness).. theres not that much more to do ;)

(okay, sound, and disc saving are the main ones..)

jeff

NEXT VERSION?!

skeezix you're quicker than a greased pig at a carnival!

BTW, in this new version have you lower the sensitivity? Just to make it a bit easier to change control system and use the keyboard

this is amazing news- it seems that if i dont check this site for a few days something amazing happens- bigbigbig shout out to the creator for this one, i had an atari st, and i had the best experiences of my gaming youth. notable ones include turrican 2, xenon 2, and an amazing shooter called mennace(i cant reccoment this title enough actually.)

big thanks to you on your amazing achievment!
this alone is a going to be a massive life expander for the gp. anyone reading without one- dont bother waiting any longer- now is the right time- its all up from here!!!!!

and GO CRAIG!!!!! GO CRAIG!!!!

jim

Back