CPU & Chipset: Intel mobile CPU & chipset
Communication: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet; 56K modem
WLAN: WiFi 802.11b/g
Graphic: Intel UMA
Memory: 512MB, DDR2-400
Storage: 4/ 8/ 16GB Flash
Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
Audio: Hi-Definition Audio CODEC; Built-in stereo speaker; Built-in microphone
Battery Life: 3hrs (4 cells: 5200mAh, 2S2P)
Dimension & Weight: 22.5 x 16.5 x 2.1~3.5cm, 0.89kg

I'm guessing for $200 you get the Mc caslin A100 CPU at 600mhz with 4GB flash. A little more will get you 800mhz and extra flash.

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=7317

http://event.asus.com/eeepc/

Jackd said:
nice, does it have a touchscreen/swivel screen?
Not from what I have read.

If you're interested in that you can try the Nanobook from VIA. The reference has been accepted by a euro and US supplier for a $600 US retail price point.

image06.png

Powered by the 1.2GHz VIA C7-M ULV processor and the VIA VX700 chipset featuring the VIA UniChrome Pro II IGP integrated graphics core, the VIA NanoBook delivers all the performance and functionality for a rich Windows and Internet experience. Despite its small size, it also comes with a complete set of productivity, multimedia, and connectivity features, including a full keyboard, a 7" WVGA screen with touch panel supporting 840x480 resolution, up to 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, a 30/60GB HDD, and a 4-in-1 card reader, as well as 802.11g WiFi and Bluetooth support, plus an Ethernet, a DVI and two USB2.0 ports plus Mic-In/Speaker-Out ports. The device supports Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm looks nice but i dont like the screen position. What I really want is a mini laptop/pda with a 4.5" screen. Kinda like a sharp zaurus except with built in wifi/external speakers/faster proccesor running high end linux/graphics acceleration. I was hoping palm would release something like this at the recent digital conference but they decided to release a crippled semi-small laptop instead.

Jackd said:
hmmm looks nice but i dont like the screen position. What I really want is a mini laptop/pda with a 4.5" screen. Kinda like a sharp zaurus except with built in wifi/external speakers/faster proccesor running high end linux/graphics acceleration. I was hoping palm would release something like this at the recent digital conference but they decided to release a crippled semi-small laptop instead.
Sounds like the pepperpad 3 which uses the AMD geode at 500mhz. They seem a bit overpriced but they will come down when the Pepperpad4 is released. From what I read at the pepperpad forums, it'll come with a slight speed improvement. (600mhz) and cost a lot less than currently. You probably don't like the graphics accelerator. It's 2D only, but very speedy.

There is also the intel MIDLinux UMPCs that will be released at about xmas. Most will have the McCaslin CPUs that are being put into UMPCs for Vista at the moment. These have a capable onboard intel accelerator. Capable means, Quake 3 with all the settings on max. ;)

icurafu said:
Jackd said:
Sounds like the pepperpad 3 which uses the AMD geode at 500mhz. They seem a bit overpriced but they will come down when the Pepperpad4 is released. From what I read at the pepperpad forums, it'll come with a slight speed improvement. (600mhz) and cost a lot less than currently. You probably don't like the graphics accelerator. It's 2D only, but very speedy.

There is also the intel MIDLinux UMPCs that will be released at about xmas. Most will have the McCaslin CPUs that are being put into UMPCs for Vista at the moment. These have a capable onboard intel accelerator. Capable means, Quake 3 with all the settings on max. ;)

The pepperpad is cool but it isn't clamshell and it wont fit in your pocket (i think but havent seen one in person). Those UMPC's sound pretty cool, hopefully they'll be a lot cheaper than the $2500 UMPC's out right now.

yeah, 2 USB and a multicard slot. So you can put a 8GB SD card for additional storage, or add a external HDD.

Internal flash. (or SSD as they call it) will range from 1GB to 32GB when it is released in August. (English Version)

So if you want to be hella cheap, you can get the 1GB model with the MID OS and use a 4GB SD card that are really cheap right now. I think this will be great for PSX emulation.

EDIT: The PepperPad is too large for your pocket. I had a look at one and it would fit in my overcoat inner pocket, but it still was a large, so I looked like I had one large man-boob.

New hands on review:

http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/Hands_...h_the_ASUS_Eee/

"Not only have we had the chance to actually use the ASUS Eee PC, we can also confirm some important new specifications of the notebook. The Eee PC is running a version of Intel’s 910 mobile chipset, it uses a 900MHz Intel Dothan based Pentium M CPU, it has 512MB of DDR2 memory, full 802.11g wireless capability, and a flash-based hard drive. There will be at least two different models of the Eee PC, with the $199 version using a 4GB flash hard drive and the $299 version using a 8GB drive."

Nice photos:

http://chinese.engadget.com/photos/compute...sus-eee-pc-701/

Hmm, It's not the McCaslin then. However, the PentiumM is more poweful but takes much more power.

Instead of the GMA 950 IG, you get the GMA 900. Benchmarks show a massive drop in framerate for DX9 games, but good old retro games shouldn't make much of a difference.

Good for Quake3, startcraft and N64 emulation anyway.

This will be available in the UK in a few weeks and where it says $, I think it means pound. To, it's quite a bit more than the 200 US first announced.

This could be perfect for my little brother! He's 9 and wants a cheap laptop, he'd want windows but he currently manages to browse the net and perform basic tasks on a linux PC. He's not too daft, though it is just ubunutu.

icurafu said:
This will be available in the UK in a few weeks and where it says $, I think it means pound. To, it's quite a bit more than the 200 US first announced.
It's all over the web listed at US$199. The $100 One Laptop Per Child effort (model XO-1) is supposed to go for $140 initially, so $199 is not so far out of line with what could be done. However, we won't know for sure until it's released in the US in August. I'll bet they'll sell out in no time at all. I definitely want one to play with.

Dubya' said:
icurafu said:
It's all over the web listed at US$199. The $100 One Laptop Per Child effort (model XO-1) is supposed to go for $140 initially, so $199 is not so far out of line with what could be done. However, we won't know for sure until it's released in the US in August. I'll bet they'll sell out in no time at all. I definitely want one to play with.

No, it's 200 pounds.

ASUS announced it as targeting 200 US when it was announced. But that's not always what you get. Wait a few weeks and we'll see what the actual price is at stores. Maybe it'll drop a bit in the future.

icurafu said:
No, it's 200 pounds.

ASUS announced it as targeting 200 US when it was announced. But that's not always what you get. Wait a few weeks and we'll see what the actual price is at stores. Maybe it'll drop a bit in the future.
I emailed the author of the hands-on review I linked to above and asked. Here is his reply:

"Yes, they confirmed that it will be $199 street price in the USA. That is what their product manager told me."

Note the "street price" portion. Retail price may indeed be higher and if the demand is as high as I think it will be, these will probably be selling a their higher(?) retail price for a while until supply catches up with demand.

Dubya' said:
icurafu said:
No, it's 200 pounds.

I emailed the author of the hands-on review I linked to above and asked. Here is his reply:

"Yes, they confirmed that it will be $199 street price in the USA. That is what their product manager told me."

Note the "street price" portion. Retail price may indeed be higher and if the demand is as high as I think it will be, these will probably be selling a their higher(?) retail price for a while until supply catches up with demand.

This is the UK price, not the US price.

No shipping date has been announced for the US.

So, 200 pounds in UK.

200 US dollars in US.

UK release soon, US release unknown.

Back