Armedslack

Deyna

Still Fresh
forgive me if this is a dumb question but what are the chances of someone getting ARMedSlack on the Pandora?
i'm new to Linux but i've got my laptop set up in a dual boot with Windows 7 and Slackware 13 and i would love to have my Pandora running Slackware as well. i'm no programer (though i do know the basics and am (slowly) learning C++) so i could not do it myself.

There isn't much advantage to running your own distro on the Pandora - the one on there has been tailored to work well with it. If you really wanted, you could probably install it to an SD card and set up all of the PND stuff. That would be a lot of work though, for not terribly much gain (IMO).

Not -that- brutal really,but a pita for sure :) really could probably get a quick hack up pretty quick...

- use official kernel, k modules
- ignore libpnd to start, but adding pnd stuff is *trivial*
- boot.. Wih lots of errors :)

certainly if someone wasmotivated it's doable. I mean, both cpasjuste and djwillis brought up android with a few hours of hacking :)

jeff

You are new to linux and your first choice of dist is slackware?.. Why?

edit: or why slackware at all?

At the moment armedslackware is one of the few distro that is still using the old abi (aka OABI) instead of the new EABI. Most of the distro use the former that is more "optimized" for arm.

So installing armedslackware means:

- slower software
- not binary compatible

So I don't see the point atm in installing slackware on pandora.

Oh, yes, the memories... good ol' Slackware.

Was my first Distro as well; used to be a FreeBSD guy until I discovered Linux (Don't know how I'd missed it) and at that time the only real alternatives were Mandrake (aka Mandriva nowadays; I always thought it sucked), SUSE (kinda, sorta; not really stable or freely available), Debian (Should've been my first choice but it wasn't for some reason) and Slackware.

Now, Slackware offered a pretty steep learning curve for someone totally new to Linux, but I still thought it was great because everything fit so nicely together. E.g., if you started a compile of KDE, you knew it would succeed no matter what, because the Distro as a whole was so vanilla, and everything "just worked".

Nowadays I stick to Arch, Fedora and Ubuntu generally, because I like an environment that "just works" with minimal effort. I no longer have the time to compile my own Kernel etc (sadly), and I like some of the new technologies that "cutting-edge" Distros offer, like KMS+nouveau+Plymouth, or a HAL-free and xorg.conf-free X setup, or drakut, or grub2, or PackageKit, ConsoleKit, DeviceKit etc. Try to get all of those to work together on Slackware!

Anyways, back to the topic: I don't think it'd be worth it to use Slack on the Pandora. I mean, why? Ångström is as barebone it can get... and I could understand you if you'd want to install e.g. Ubuntu for the additional packages and support, but Slackware? Come on, it's too big of a step back in time...

i guess it was a stupid question and i apologize again.

thank you very much for your answers and off topic ramblings ^_^

as to why i chose Slackware as my main Linux distro to start, it's very simple really: i started with it because it's the most technical of all the big distros that i tried. yes that does mean a big learning curve but it's worth it because once i get good i hope to be able to another (more modern) distro and be able to adapt all that i learned from Slack to it.

Deyna said:
yes that does mean a big learning curve but it's worth it because once i get good i hope to be able to another (more modern) distro and be able to adapt all that i learned from Slack to it.
Arch Linux, my friend... It's waiting for you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps your start with Ubuntu, would be the right choice. ;)
But I dont think that it is impossible to run Slackware on the Pandora.
Didnt EvilDragon let Ubuntu run on the Pandora already? He did for a demo.

Deyna said:
i guess it was a stupid question and i apologize again.

thank you very much for your answers and off topic ramblings ^_^

as to why i chose Slackware as my main Linux distro to start, it's very simple really: i started with it because it's the most technical of all the big distros that i tried. yes that does mean a big learning curve but it's worth it because once i get good i hope to be able to another (more modern) distro and be able to adapt all that i learned from Slack to it.

I started with slackware back in '97 it was a good learning experience, but it makes me grateful how convenient modern distros are.

TrashyMG said:
Deyna said:
as to why i chose Slackware as my main Linux distro to start,
I started with slackware back in '97 it was a good learning experience, but it makes me grateful how convenient modern distros are.
I started with Ubuntu back in '08 it was a good learning experience, and it makes me grateful how convenient modern distros are.

Then I applied my Ubuntu knowledge to install Arch Linux, which is a step above Ubuntu in technical difficulty. I'm thinking about switching to Debian, but it's really a matter of whether I can understand either distro's package manager. At the moment, I'm content to sit on Arch, just using pacman to install things. I still haven't figured out how to write packages or build things from source but have them package-managed.

Edit: Yeah, to make a long story short, I've written a program, and I want to make an Arch package for it, but the article on creating packages assumes that I'm packing someone else's program, and for my project, it's only confusing as shit.

Edit: nvm figured it out. I have a pkgbuild that clones my gitorious repo and compiles, so I guess the .tar.gz it creates is a binary. Dunno, but now my pet music player is package-managed, so I've moved a lot of its resources to standard locations.

lulzfish said:
I started with Ubuntu back in '08 it was a good learning experience, and it makes me grateful how convenient modern distros are.

Then I applied my Ubuntu knowledge to install Arch Linux, which is a step above Ubuntu in technical difficulty. I'm thinking about switching to Debian, but it's really a matter of whether I can understand either distro's package manager. At the moment, I'm content to sit on Arch, just using pacman to install things. I still haven't figured out how to write packages or build things from source but have them package-managed.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines#Installing_Packages_from_the_AUR
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt

Titcher said:
lulzfish said:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines#Installing_Packages_from_the_AUR
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt
Well, that's only good if you're content installing things that have been put in to the AUR. It sounds like lulzfish wants to create his own packages.

I recently switched from Ubuntu to Arch. The amazingly thorough wiki played a big part in that.

lulzfish said:
I'm thinking about switching to Debian, but it's really a matter of whether I can understand either distro's package manager.

Don't bother. If Ubuntu didn't do it for you Debian certainly won't. Since Ubuntu is Debian based. I tried Debian after Ubuntu and found it to be a lacklustre experience to say the least. Debian strives to be super stable, and misses out of much of the bleeding edge stuff Ubuntu brings to the table. Arch is even more bleeding edge than Ubuntu. The natural next step in power Linux-ness is Gentoo.

If you want Debian _and_ bleeding edge, you simply install Sid instead of Lenny (names other than Sid will be the stable releases).
I've been using Sid for years, and I always get access to the bleeding edge. Just remember to install apt-listbugs, that'll be a lot of help to avoid upgrading to buggy versions. It certainly does the job for me. I also combine that with wajig, which wraps dpkg/apt-get/apt-cache etc. into one, and has the nice features of showing new packages as well as listing any upgrades available. Oh, and making it easy to 'hold' a package to prevent an upgrade to a buggy one (apt-listbugs will tell you, before you upgrade).

Deyna said:
i started with it because it's the most technical of all the big distros that i tried. yes that does mean a big learning curve but it's worth it because once i get good i hope to be able to another (more modern) distro and be able to adapt all that i learned from Slack to it.
That makes perfect sense. I started with LFS back in 1999 for the same reason, then moved on to SGL and forks. These days I mostly used Ubuntu for ease and Arch when I need more control.

dflemstr said:
Arch Linux, my friend... It's waiting for you ;)
I heard some talk of that on Pandora. I've got Arch running on my beagleboard right now but it will take some work to make Arch on Beagleboard as complete and useful as it is on a PC. Is anyone else here using Arch on an OMAP3 device? I'd be interested in hearing about that.

lulzfish said:
TrashyMG said:
Deyna said:
as to why i chose Slackware as my main Linux distro to start,

I started with Gentoo back in '05 it was a good learning experience, and it makes me grateful how convenient other distros are.

Back