Are There Any Pandora's Left For Sale?

Caine said:
craigix said:
We will be ordering the next 3000 next week.
Good news! Thanks. I hope the Chinese factory won't let you guys down again.

or volcano, or terrorists, or space aliens...

maybe we should get a couple of hobbits to deliver the cases, they're good with volcanos...

wait ..

scratch that idea, they're good at delivering TO a volcano.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Reason?

You know that the Chinese Factory is slower than a slug. So why didn't you do like you promised and ordered the rest of the 9K cases straight after MWeston arrived in UK and checked the Cases (like he did so many times before)?

Why it is always next week? Why can't you do this yesterday, today, tomorrow?

benji_stein said:
I was under the impression that you'd already *placed* the order for all 10,000, but that you got a special deal to only have them make the first 1,000 for approval. Afterwards, they would do the rest, and so were just waiting on the OK.

That's correct. However, they were not told "OK". They were told, "The paint is clogging up the shoulder buttons, can you do something about that?"

craigix said:

You disappoint me Craig. You know that's not what we've been told before :(

Neko said:
benji_stein said:
I was under the impression that you'd already *placed* the order for all 10,000, but that you got a special deal to only have them make the first 1,000 for approval. Afterwards, they would do the rest, and so were just waiting on the OK.

That's correct. However, they were not told "OK". They were told, "The paint is clogging up the shoulder buttons, can you do something about that?"

~_~

fusion_power said:
craigix said:
Reason?

You know that the Chinese Factory is slower than a slug. So why didn't you do like you promised and ordered the rest of the 9K cases straight after MWeston arrived in UK and checked the Cases (like he did so many times before)?

Why it is always next week? Why can't you do this yesterday, today, tomorrow?

They probably have a good reason. Maybe they need to discuss a few things with the company about the painting process. I'm sure they'll explain things soon enough.

CodeTwister said:
1st one: Sounds like they order the remaining 3000 cases next week.
2nd one: They think about accepting 2nd batch (pre)orders soon + they have to decide if they produce these 4000 2nd-batch pandoras directly after the first batch.

The more interesting question would be if the chinese factory has to apply some changes or will do some extra jobs - because this could cause additional delays - delays we are all afraid of.
(We means qpos > 1001 )

Yes, that is what it sounds like. But we've seen things inthe past that "sounded" one way, but were actually another. Which is why I would like clarification.

Sander Hoksbergen said:
craigix said:

You disappoint me Craig. You know that's not what we've been told before :(

Neko said:
benji_stein said:

~_~

Quite possible. Also, I hear, the ABXY Buttons/DPAD, which I believe I (and others) warned against painting, in the past. However, is that just a theory, or is it based on fact. Because I'd like to hear it from OPT, instead of just guessing semi-randomly about what's going on.

I completely agree with your sentiments of now being told things that we were not told before. I'll again wonder whether it will be early next week, or late next week. My money's on early the week after...

A bit more clarification on the remaining cases for the first batch would be appreciated. Do you think some of the problems like the shoulder buttons, having to by hand shave the internals, or different feeling ABXY or D-pad buttons are because of the cases?

I would have thought the sooner you can give the factory your feedback, and adjustments, along with the sooner you can order the next cases the better, no?

CodeTwister said:
2nd one: They think about accepting 2nd batch (pre)orders soon + they have to decide if they produce these 4000 2nd-batch pandoras directly after the first batch.
The second batch was supposed to start in June, but the first batch took so long that the second batch will start right after the first.

craigix said:
Here is some, tomorrow I'm signing the paperwork for the next 8000 units.
craigix said:
The order is for 4000 + 4000 later in the year. The lead time is 4months+

Neko said:
CodeTwister said:
The second batch was supposed to start in June, but the first batch took so long that the second batch will start right after the first.

craigix said:
Here is some, tomorrow I'm signing the paperwork for the next 8000 units.
craigix said:
The order is for 4000 + 4000 later in the year. The lead time is 4months+

You know, it's funny. I remember when the second batch was supposed to be in June ... 2009:
http://pandorapress.net/2009/02/01/manufacturing-time-guesstimate

craigix said:
The main reason it's next week is so we can make sure all the ones we have shipped are solid.

I'm not sure if it's been said yet - how many have shipped?
Edit - Just saw this one:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53703-how-many-complete-pandoras-have-shipped/page__view__findpost__p__859858
So about 400 now. Sounds like the rest of the cases won't be there in time to seamlessly continue production - what will happen in the interim? Will MWeston and Evil Dragon go back home temporarily?

Maybe I'm missing which solidness you're looking to hear about, but given that it will take at least several days for most of them to arrive, that only leaves a day or two to try them out. Wouldn't that mean the only bits you hear about are the initial impressions and obvious defects, instead of any long-term degredation problems? I would imagine most of those could be observed through your inspection, or someone locally trying a sample for a number of hours - which you've hopefully already done for a while!

craigix said:
The main reason it's next week is so we can make sure all the ones we have shipped are solid.
Huh? :huh:

Even if some of them are not "solid", the Factory should know how to make the cases right. You've got alot "OK" cases, what should they alter (without a huge delay)?
Letting the Shoulder Buttons unpainted (for example) is an easy on the fly order I guess. Somehow I can't follow the whole process anymore...the "logics" behind the project, the decissions, the chinese Factory and so on are way out of my mind. ^^"""

^
|
+1

Yeah, thats so true, changing demands on the case factory won´t change the level of tolerance of the case parts, unless the tolerance is way outside of the conditions of your contract with the chinese factory you will have to pay them extra so you´ll get better tolerances...
So not painting the shoulder buttons is the only thing you could change... Okay the sticker thing also, but I bet that the chinese want to be payed extra for extra work.

Bampt said:
So not painting the shoulder buttons is the only thing you could change... Okay the sticker thing also, but I bet that the chinese want to be payed extra for extra work.
Well if Craig has parts for 8000 more pandoras on order, they'll need more cases. So I suspect there's more negotiations going on than just the stickers. We'll have to wait and see what Fatih can work out.

fusion_power said:
craigix said:
Huh? :huh:

Even if some of them are not "solid", the Factory should know how to make the cases right. You've got alot "OK" cases, what should they alter (without a huge delay)?
Letting the Shoulder Buttons unpainted (for example) is an easy on the fly order I guess. Somehow I can't follow the whole process anymore...the "logics" behind the project, the decissions, the chinese Factory and so on are way out of my mind. ^^"""

I'm assuming that once they have the first 1000 assembled, they will have a better idea of the part quality across the entire batch. That will give them better data with which to go to the factory to tell them if any of the tolerances were unacceptable.

Cheers,
Michael

Neko said:
Well if Craig has parts for 8000 more pandoras on order, they'll need more cases. So I suspect there's more negotiations going on than just the stickers. We'll have to wait and see what Fatih can work out.

Not really. They've told us that the minimum order size at the factory is 10,000 units, so that covers the remaining 3,000 in the first batch, the second batch of 4,000, and then some extras.

craigix said:
I have to say that I disagree with this for 2 reasons.
1. They are either good enough or they're not, you must have thought they were good enough to be shipping them now. No more delays please, get them ordered sooner rather than later.Us first batchers were all supposed to be in this together so we should (obvious errors excluded) all have the same kit.
2. While we were all waiting together (the 4000) there was a feeling of togetheness. If there is a sizeable gap between the first 1000 and the rest, and the cases are different it will be like there are two types of first batchers, the lucky 1000 and the rest.

Back