Arduino

So I updated my firmware today, and at the same time downloaded all of the latest pnd files, Java included.

Still getting the same issue that the IDE compiles and then simply quits.

Is there anything that I can do to repair this myself, or does anyone know of another IDE I could be using on my Pandora to talk to my Arduino?

Cheers.

I've uploaded a new version of arduino.pnd. Can you give it a go - I don't have access to my Arduino board ATM.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You now get an error when compiling.

avr-g++: error while loading shared libraries: libconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

avr-g++ returned 127
Hope that is of some use.

If you need me to paste the output of any log files I can do that,

Cheers.

You now get an error when compiling.

avr-g++: error while loading shared libraries: libconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

avr-g++ returned 127
Hope that is of some use.

If you need me to paste the output of any log files I can do that,

Cheers.
Looks like they've changed the startup script. I've fixed that problem (hopefully), but now I need a completely new avr toolchain. Sigh.

Package updated, try again! :)
It now compiles OK, but there is an error when uploading to the board:

/mnt/utmp/hdonk_arduino/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude: line 1: syntax error:

''('' unexpected
You get the same error when selecting 'File | Upload Using Programmer

Hope that is of use and thanks for helping to resolve this.

Cheers.

Also, I have just noticed that when you start the package, the bottom pane, the area where the above uploading error is seen, has a list of checking and scanning messages.

The first lines though are:

RXTXCommDriver:initialize()

The file: gnu.io.rxtx.properties doesn't exists.

java.io.FileNotFoundException:

/mnt/utmp/java/jdk/jre/lib/ext:/usr/java/packages/lib/ext/gnu.io.rxtx.properties (No such file or directory)
Looks like the RXTXCommDriver is not compiled in the Java pnd.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

You could skip the arduino IDE and just use avr-gcc and avrdude and so forth, as well. I don't bother with arduino, since its not hard to just drop an atmega into a breadboard and jack in an ISP programmer and away you go .. like 6 pins needed and you're off. (You'd need to buy the $50 ISP programmer, mind you; arduino can just talk serial/usb which makes things easy.)

(Of course, the arduino library set and ide are a lot of the bonus, making things easy (too easy in my book :) .. but you can use arduino libraries on straight avr's as well.)

I need to try avrdude on a more recent pandora firmware.. I had it working 2 years ago, but never really worked it very hard.

jeff

You should then be aware that this http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56422-avr-tools/ is still available and working - but yeah like over 2 years old so as old or older than your testing.... There was something with the pnd so the repo wouldnt want it, and I havent had time to update it. Still, avrdude 5.10 and avr-gcc 4.5.1 ready to go.

IIRC I tested that avrdude with usb hub + the avrisp mkII.

it (edit: AVR Tools) is not in the repo. you're seeing stars that i didnt even know existed. link? (EDIT after seeing that "Arduino" is 3 stars in the repo: I'm not hdonk, I'm not the author of "Arduino" in the repo. If you didnt aim your original post at me, I'm sorry that I read it that way, my intention was only to point out AVR Tools (as skeezix mentioned avrdude etc).)

Just uploaded another version. I've tested it with my Mega2560 and it appears to work...

You should then be aware that this http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56422-avr-tools/ is still available and working - but yeah like over 2 years old so as old or older than your testing.... There was something with the pnd so the repo wouldnt want it, and I havent had time to update it. Still, avrdude 5.10 and avr-gcc 4.5.1 ready to go.

IIRC I tested that avrdude with usb hub + the avrisp mkII.
I wasn't aware of this.

I've downloaded and will tinker later, it's always good to have extra tools in the box.

Thanks for the link.

You could skip the arduino IDE and just use avr-gcc and avrdude and so forth, as well. I don't bother with arduino, since its not hard to just drop an atmega into a breadboard and jack in an ISP programmer and away you go .. like 6 pins needed and you're off. (You'd need to buy the $50 ISP programmer, mind you; arduino can just talk serial/usb which makes things easy.)

(Of course, the arduino library set and ide are a lot of the bonus, making things easy (too easy in my book :) .. but you can use arduino libraries on straight avr's as well.)

I need to try avrdude on a more recent pandora firmware.. I had it working 2 years ago, but never really worked it very hard.

jeff
Once I have figured out what I am doing, I'll probably move to a terminal and avrdude.

Right now I'm still learning and I like the ease of libraries and an integrated IDE.

(Hey, I built my own Nanode and have it up and running as a webserver sending data to xively so things are headed in the right direction.)

Cheers.

Hello, thanks for porting this, it is great. I have to report a bug with some boards.

Although sketches compile fine for the Uno, compilation fails for both the Leonardo and the Micro. The error reported is 'TXC' was not declared in this scope. It happens inside HardwareSerial::flush() and HardwareSerial::write(). Somehow the  libraries for the Leonardo are broken (Micro is quite similar to Leonardo).

To test the error you don't need the actual boards: it happens even if you just verify the code.

To reproduce:
- open BareMinimum example
- in tools>Board select Leonardo or Micro
- hit the Verify (V) button in the sketch window

this should give you the error. Sorry if this is not the right place to report it.

Thanks,

Francesco

I have the same problem as Francesco. There's a new version out, maybe it could fix that?

Shame this doesn't work with my leonardo. I wish I could use my pandora as a pocketable arduino development machine. 

Back